Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   I hate striiging. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=437176)

sansaephanh 08-23-2012 08:07 PM

I hate striiging.

First, i measure short. wasted 3$.

Then I get to the last 2 crosses and cant get the string out with an awl because the string is thick. The awl pops the multi blocking the hole before i could even get it out to the other side. I almost threw the machine through the window.

I'm more mad at wasting time and money then anything. 10$ worth of strings that i havent even played yet cause of this trash. Who ever designed the the grommet to block itself is a sadist. Would it be so hard to scooch it over half a mm? or figure out a system where it just plain doesn't get in the way?

I'm no engineer, but cmon... one little mistake and it pops.ugh.... I'm not in a goshdarn f-ing position to be wasting money. I'm taking chances on [playing tennis as it is and this happens. It really just broke my spirit. I was excited as a school boy today too. I've strung before no problem in the past. 1.5 +set s of string ive been waiting to try forever down the goddam drain

AHHH.

I will not pay for someone else to do it for me. Because i know it isnt that hard...

Sorry guys... I had to get it out.

jim e 08-23-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansaephanh (Post 6829725)
First, i measure short. wasted 3$.

Then I get to the last 2 crosses and cant get the string out with an awl because the string is thick. The awl pops the multi blocking the hole before i could even get it out to the other side. I almost threw the machine through the window.

I'm more mad at wasting time and money then anything. 10$ worth of strings that i havent even played yet cause of this trash. Who ever designed the the grommet to block itself is a sadist. Would it be so hard to scooch it over half a mm? or figure out a system where it just plain doesn't get in the way?

I'm no engineer, but cmon... one little mistake and it pops.ugh.... I'm not in a goshdarn f-ing position to be wasting money. I'm taking chances on [playing tennis as it is and this happens. It really just broke my spirit. I was excited as a school boy today too. I've strung before no problem in the past. 1.5 +set s of string ive been waiting to try forever down the goddam drain

AHHH.

I will not pay for someone else to do it for me. Because i know it isnt that hard...

Sorry guys... I had to get it out.

So you cry about stringing and it is too difficult for you to do it, or too difficult for you to learn the proper way to string, and then say you do not want to pay, and its not that hard. Very inconsistant statements.
Just how old are you?

sstchur 08-23-2012 08:34 PM

I'll try not to be too critical, because you're obviously (and admittedly) very frustrated.

A few things:

1. You're not alone in "beginning difficulties." Everyone is different and for some folks it will come easier than for others. But my first racquet too me about 4 hours over the course of 2 days! I used an old cheapy that I didn't care about to practice on. I learned a lot! These days, I can get through a racquet in under 30 minutes, and for certain racquets/strings, I can do about 20 min.

2. Blocked grommets can indeed be tricky. I suggest searching on the forums here, as there are a number of technique that can help mitigate the difficulties.

3. You wasted a little money, yes, but I would argue that saying you wasted your time isn't the right way to look at it. Yes, it's frustrating, but like with virtually any craft, you don't get good at it by just doing it once. You have to put in the work (the investment) first, before you get a return on that investment. In this case, part of the investment is learning how to string well, and a part of that process is messing up. You didn't waste time, you learned what didn't work. You will get better, IF you have the patience and determination to see it through. You won't become an expert overnight, but each time you do it, you will learn more about how you can improve and make it easier on yourself the next time.

Keep reading the threads (there's lots of helpful tips) and keep reviewing the videos from Yulitle, Irvin, and Drak.

sstchur

zapvor 08-23-2012 08:49 PM

you are so upset you cant even type!

it sounds to me like foremost you need more patience. when i first started stringing i took my time to make sure everything was 100% right. my first job took over 3hours. and because i was careful i did not use awl. in fact, for about the first 2 years of stringing i used the awl maybe 2x. careful solves most problem before it happens. so be patient! it will be rewarded. now as i have gotten so much better, doing a string job under 22min on average, i use the awl a little more often but it's to save me more time not because i really need it. hope this helps.

Irvin 08-24-2012 01:14 AM

Imagine trying to ride a bike by yourself. Wasn't there always someone there to help you? There must be someone you know who can show you how it's done.

What racket are your stringing? What is your racket pattern (mains, crosses, skipped grommet holes, and does it start in head or throat?) What type clamps are you using (fixed or flying.) Do you have a starting clamp?

Oh yes and one more thing have someone hide that awl from you.

sansaephanh 08-24-2012 02:33 AM

well i had a match tonight and i would have liked it ready because I don't mind breaking in a fresh string job. I'd prefer to let it sit a day, but it's not of the utter most importance when I mostly wanted my main stick tonight.

I knew it was going to take me a while, but i had other obligations earlier today and apparently 2 hours is just enough time to almost finish even with a few breaks and a few mistakes. It was the heat of the moment that created this post and probably my mistakes. I was already late to my match as it was, and i decided to get it done right before it popped lol.

thanks for the help. As for being apparently being an impatient 5 year old to Jim_e, don't read a rage post the next time you see one. Bad days can bring out the worst in us and if you don't have the heart to at least sympathize then i'm sorry. Two wrongs don't make a right.

This string, as are most multis, aren't very durable. I've never strung a multi before and this was a major surprise. I felt like i could pop it with a fingernail. I did the simple things to help me out. Made the string ends as sharp as i good to give me some lee way. used the awl in a few situations that it actually worked. But as the countdown was already in the negative and the heat was on. The string snapped along with my right mind. I went out there with no warm up and lost 1st 6-2, up 1-4 when the lights shut off.

I won't get into the inherently depressing dribble that is my life, but today wasn't the best of them. Again I apologize if i offended anyone, jim, and I will continue learn from this sub forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6830028)
Imagine trying to ride a bike by yourself. Wasn't there always someone there to help you? There must be someone you know who can show you how it's done.

What racket are your stringing? What is your racket pattern (mains, crosses, skipped grommet holes, and does it start in head or throat?) What type clamps are you using (fixed or flying.) Do you have a starting clamp?

Oh yes and one more thing have someone hide that awl from you.

1. I learned to ride a bike by hitting a great deal of parked cars in my neighborhood.:twisted:

2. I'm stringing a prince diablo tour mid, 16x20. Starts at the bottom. I don't remember where the skips are off the top of my head, but i doubt they matter too much since I did fine until the end. I only have flying clamps on an older model Gamma x-2 drop weight.

Irvin 08-24-2012 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansaephanh (Post 6830076)
1. I learned to ride a bike by hitting a great deal of parked cars in my neighborhood.:twisted:

2. I'm stringing a prince diablo tour mid, 16x20. Starts at the bottom. I don't remember where the skips are off the top of my head, but i doubt they matter too much since I did fine until the end. I only have flying clamps on an older model Gamma x-2 drop weight.

1. I learned on the sidewalk but there was a wall on one end and a fence on the other to hold on. LOL

2. That racket could explain a couple of problems. For one you have 20 Xs if you used advice for an 18 X racket you'd end up two crosses short. Always use more string than you need. Like many Prince rackets that racket skips 7&9 top and bottom and the mains tie at 8T while the bottom cross ties off at 6T. If you tied the main off at 6T you'd have two strings blocking hole 7T. If you string two piece and tie the mains at 8T you should be ok but then the main strings would go directly over 7&9T blocking all four holes and if you are new and use a soft multi it could still present problems. If you are stringing two piece the top hole 9H is also blocked so all in all you have six blocked holes. Try running in the top two crosses without tension before you tension the outside mains. That way there is no issue with blocked holes at the top. Try using a scrap piece of string placed behind the strings on the bottom of the frame that are going over you grommet holes for the two bottom crosses. Then when you are weaving your bottom crosses just tug on the scrap string to open up the hole.

Then if you want to string that frame with one piece of string this would be an easy frame to do that on. You would not have any blocked holes and no hard weaves with a short side ATW pattern. There would also never be any short. And because you are using flying clamps you could always have two strings to clamp. Let me know if you want to know how to do that.

SwankPeRFection 08-24-2012 09:27 AM

Buy yourself one of those tailor measuring tapes and you won't be mismeasuring anything anymore. Get a five foot one and it makes measuring string really easy as you pull it out of the reel or whatnot. If you're doing a two-piece and you're measuring a single pack of string 40' for some reason... why? Take the string out of the pack and uncoil it. Then simply put the two ends together and work your way back to the other side of the loop you just created. Cut there... now you have (2) 20' lengths of string. Do the same thing to find the middle of the length you use for just your mains. Loop it through the racket on the starting point and while holding the ends of the string, walk away from the stringer. When you get to the point where the string is all pulled through and you're holding two ends evenly in your hand, you're done... you've found the middle.

Use these simple technique and you won't have an issue with mismeasuring your string again.

As for your grommet fishing issue... instead of pulling the string through, push it. Cut it at an extreme angle so you create a very nice sharp edge that looks like a sirenge needle and then push it through the grommet little by little by helping it with needle nose pliers. Of course, this works best with stiff synthetic guts and ploy string, not so much with multies that are super soft because they'll bend no matter what.

I do this all the time and I've NEVER had to make a grommet bigger or any other BS to string a racquet. Good luck.

I Heart Thomas Muster 08-24-2012 10:25 AM

If a hole is blocked and pushing the string through becomes more difficult than usual I cut a sharp end and then put a little lip balm on the tip to help it slip past the offending string.

Setmatch45 08-24-2012 10:48 AM

A pretty easy racquet to string. Just take your time make sure you have enough string to do that maybe use sets and not reels. Easy as a previous post said two twenty footers or 1 piece. Once you are good use reels to save money. I don't enjoy string either but I just take my time and get it done. If you have questions calling TW is a great resource the guys are great.

gmatheis 08-24-2012 12:04 PM

I use a gamma X-2 also , just strung a frame last night (i think it's my 5th or 6th time) and it took me 45 minutes doing 2 piece.

When you have a blocked hole cut the string at an angle so it's pointy, stick it as far as you can in the hole (which is almost nothing sometimes) and grab it with your needle knose pliers about 1/8" from the frame and push ... move pliers out 1/8" again and repeat til it's through.

sansaephanh 08-24-2012 12:05 PM

I'm working off a reel, but a tailor's ruler isn't a bad idea.

I did cut an extreme sharp angle and I did try to push it with needle nose. It was too soft, but all in all, it was my hotheadedness that made me try the awl again and popped the string on the outside of the grommet. all it took was a wrong angle pinch.

I've never heard of using lip balm before, but i'm really gonna get it done right today...

jim e 08-24-2012 06:47 PM

For blocked holes try and take a scrap piece of string, and place it under the main string that will be blocking the grommet in question on the outside of the racquet.
Now when you get back to that grommet you can grab that scrap string with needle nose pliers and either push down or pull up to open up the blocked grommet and it slides right in.This works real well! You have to plan for it.

You can weave your top 2 cross strings before you tension the outside mains, and that eliminates 1/2 the blocked holes.Again you have to plan ahead.

If you did not plan ahead:

You can also cut the tip to a sharp flat point as noted above but also then apply a very small amount of super glue to the tip, then spray it with super glue accelerator, so it sets up immediately and then it is stiffer to go through.

If an awl is absolute necessity, then take a stiff piece of poly, cut tip to point and you now have a plastic awl so not to damage a string.

Another trick you can do is take a basketball needle, cut the tip end and smooth it down nice and smooth. You can place that through the blocked grommet carefully thread the string through that needle, take the needle out and Bob's your uncle.Just be sure to place the needle on the proper side or racquet so you can take it out.

In reality just cutting the tip to a sharp and flat point and pushing through with small increments works 95% or more of the time,but the above tips may help if all else fails. Good luck jim

Dreamcastin 08-24-2012 10:59 PM

you could string it box pattern http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leF-1wZeEeM

this could make things a little complicated since your already not confident stringing. It does remove all the crossovers that are driving you nuts though, and makes a nice looking stringjob.

Just dont forget, weve all been there. I had plenty of frustrating things happen while i was learning to string, and every now and again annoying things happen, but you gain confidence and what seemed so horrible before becomes easier to handle. I still remember stringing my first racquet and wondering what the hell id got my self into.:) Now I enjoy stringing and the money it saves/makes me.

SwankPeRFection 08-29-2012 06:59 AM

If you make a habit of stringing soft string that you cannot push through, it would be a good investment to get one of those finder awl that you push through the grommet and then you put the string within it and then pull it back out string and all. TW has them for sale. Another option is to put a piece of scrap string (from the previous job that you cut out) looped under the strings at the shared hole locations that you can use to pull down the blocking string. Then you pull down on the string with the scrap and push your new string through without any issues (almost like the grommet isn't blocked at all). When you're done, you simply just pull off those scrap pieces and that's it.

cluckcluck 08-29-2012 12:03 PM

Quick tip for measuring string from a reel:
Assuming you have a standard length racquet and doing a two piece (While mounted).

Mains: Pull string from tip of racquet to bottom of handle x4 plus the head size. Double that length and you have enough for the mains.

Crosses: Pull string from tip of racquet to bottom of handle x4. Double the length and you will have enough for crosses.

Works for me every time and I don''t have to bother with a measuring tape.

goober 08-29-2012 02:58 PM

If you are a beginning stringer you did not waste time or money. Everybody makes mistakes in the beginning and it is part of the learning process. By the time you have strung your racquet 4-5 times it will be pretty easy. The main thing at your stage is think and plan ahead. You really shouldn't be short on string when you have a reel- always over estimate and adjust downward for your next job. As long as you learn from your past mistakes, stringing should not be a frustrating experience.

zapvor 08-29-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 6844526)
Quick tip for measuring string from a reel:
Assuming you have a standard length racquet and doing a two piece (While mounted).

Mains: Pull string from tip of racquet to bottom of handle x4 plus the head size. Double that length and you have enough for the mains.

Crosses: Pull string from tip of racquet to bottom of handle x4. Double the length and you will have enough for crosses.

Works for me every time and I don''t have to bother with a measuring tape.

i have not heard this before.

schap02 09-12-2012 08:32 PM

dont give up, it gets easier, just practice and dont worry about going super slow the first few times...

I always cut strings as short as possible with not a ton of room for error. get a starting clamp in case u are ever too short to reach the tensioner...