Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   James Blake Racket (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=437587)

csg4005 08-27-2012 12:14 PM

James Blake Racket

Any body know what racket hes playing with in the us open?

Blaxican10s 08-27-2012 12:20 PM

It's a Donnay, assume its a custom mold.

cluckcluck 08-27-2012 02:08 PM

He told me that it's a painted Donnay. The mold is his Dunlop.

The Meat 08-27-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 6838647)

You've personally spoken to Blake? How is he off court?

cluckcluck 08-27-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 6838873)
You've personally spoken to Blake? How is he off court?

yeah, at the Farmer's Classic this year. He seems pretty nice. He was talkative and said goodbye and was quite polite.

The Meat 08-27-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 6838906)
yeah, at the Farmer's Classic this year. He seems pretty nice. He was talkative and said goodbye and was quite polite.

Awesome, he does seem like the down to earth type. Hope I can see one of his matches before he retires. :)

harryz 08-27-2012 04:07 PM

hmmmm...

does this mean that it's the same Major/ Technifibre mold that he's been using all along?

Glad to ready that he's a down to earth, humble guy. Losing parents does that to a person..

Nikeman 08-29-2012 11:12 AM

james is a really nice guy especially to kids. and yes cluck is right i have talked to him too and he said the same thing.

db10s 08-29-2012 11:38 AM

Yep, he's a pretty cool guy, talked to him a few times. I think he uses a Dunlop mold.

niktub 08-29-2012 12:31 PM

i thought that he had only 3 racquets left :confused:

PBODY99 08-30-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niktub (Post 6844607)
i thought that he had only 3 racquets left :confused:

Of his old Dunlops,yes that is correct, The Donnay's that they made for him are close enough for him to use, unlike Prince's efforts

vsbabolat 08-30-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryz (Post 6838991)
does this mean that it's the same Major/ Technifibre mold that he's been using all along?

Glad to ready that he's a down to earth, humble guy. Losing parents does that to a person..

No, It's the same Dunlop mold he has been using along. Dunlop came up with the mold and used it first. It dates back to the late 90's. Dunlop still use the mold with the 300 Tour.

Nostradamus 08-30-2012 08:06 AM

I heard a rumor that James is using the new Donnay borg pro one racket.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Donn...NAY-DP197.html

JGads 08-30-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 6838647)

At the Farmers Classic last year - not this summer but last - I watched Blake on the practice court and actually overheard a convo he was having with another player, I think it was Rajeev Ram, about his new frame. He said he'd been looking for another frame for years, but Donnay finally produced a frame that 'felt like my old one.' Said he actually went to some factory in Austria, they had several different frames to try out, and when hit with the one, he knew it was for him and said 'How many do you have?'; they said '13' or something like that and he said, "I want each one," and also placed an order for like 30 more.

So maybe it's a Dunlop mold, but it's not the exact Dunlop he'd been playing with for so long with simply new Donnay paint. At least as of that conversation last year.

Disgruntled Worker 08-30-2012 08:23 AM

Yeah. The foam-filled feel of a Donnay is pretty solid. I remember a couple of years ago at the 2010 Australian Open, Blake was using a retail BLX90 and took JMDP to five sets before losing in a tiebreak. If he had a Dunlop mold racquet customized with the materials of a Donnay and leaded up to 13.5 ounces, that would probably be a beast to play with.

niktub 08-30-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGads (Post 6846840)
At the Farmers Classic last year - not this summer but last - I watched Blake on the practice court and actually overheard a convo he was having with another player, I think it was Rajeev Ram, about his new frame. He said he'd been looking for another frame for years, but Donnay finally produced a frame that 'felt like my old one.' Said he actually went to some factory in Austria, they had several different frames to try out, and when hit with the one, he knew it was for him and said 'How many do you have?'; they said '13' or something like that and he said, "I want each one," and also placed an order for like 30 more.

So maybe it's a Dunlop mold, but it's not the exact Dunlop he'd been playing with for so long with simply new Donnay paint. At least as of that conversation last year.

Does that mean that he is using some Head racquets painted by Donnay?
Head replica of the Dunlop mold paintjob by Donnay :shock:

Blake felt the time might be right, and agreed to the proposal. On his way from the US to the Stockholm Open, James and his coach started the testing programme in Kennelbach. During his visit, the personable American took advantage of the chance to meet with HEAD technicians, see how the racquets are manufactured and generally get a feel for the company.

From the initial development stage of inputting his personal data into the computer to the drafting of technical specifications for production of his new racquet, Blake asked his questions and was given detailed explanations about the entire process. He was impressed with what he saw and learned. "I never thought what effect even small changes in the structure of the racquet can have," he said.

The player spent four days in Kennelbach taking every opportunity to test various racquet configurations. The first session began with 11 models of different weights, balance points and flexibility. From this group, he selected three prototypes which were revised overnight and ready for more testing the next day. In three other testing sessions Blake played the potential racquets under competitive conditions, which brought further insights..........

"It was inconceivable for me to find a racquet in three days, which corresponds to the way I play and the way I move," said an amazed Blake, who could barely contain his praise of the technical wizards in Austria. "What the HEAD team has managed is really incredible. I have full confidence in them."

cluckcluck 08-30-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGads (Post 6846840)

You might be right. I did get to hold one of his Donnay's while at the tournament and it didn't feel like 13.5 ounces. My Donnay is about 12.7 and it felt heavier than Blake's.

niktub 08-30-2012 09:19 AM

His Head replica of the Dunlop mold paintjob by Donnay is probably more headlight than yours:neutral:
Not a Donnay apparently.
Austria...Nothing is really sure there.

classic tennis 08-31-2012 01:06 AM

His old racquet's, now that's a surprise :-|. another company parting with bucks for nothing.

brinkeguthrie 08-31-2012 07:35 PM

my last Donnay was the Borg Pro. Bought one sight unseen except for an ad, string 'er right up, didn't playtest back in those days.

Man it felt like a board. no give at all. didn't last long.