Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Alpha Revo 4000 + 2086 (aka Wise) Tension Head: Thoughts? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=437813)

McLovin 08-29-2012 04:08 AM

Alpha Revo 4000 + 2086 (aka Wise) Tension Head: Thoughts?

I've been considering upgrading my stringing machine for a couple of years now (Eagnas drop weight) and was about to pull the trigger on a new Gamma X-ES. Then I started reading some threads here that suggest buying the Gamma X-ST and replacing the tension head with the 2086 (Wise) tension head.

Being the cheapskate that I am, I continued reading and saw the Alpha Revo 4000 is $50 cheaper than the X-ST ($699 vs $749), so now I'm considering the Alpha instead of the Gamma.

I guess I'm looking for people's experience with the Alpha Revo 4000, and independent of that, people's experience w/ the 2086 tension head. If anyone has the exact setup, that would be a plus.

Thanks.

mmk 08-29-2012 04:25 AM

Or if you wait until December and buy the TW gift cards at 10% off, you could get the X-ST for $675.

McLovin 08-29-2012 04:31 AM

Ha! I did think of that (I bought $800 worth last time they offered it up), but I really want to make the move in the next few weeks, and there is no guarantee they will do the gift card deal again.

In addition, TW only carries the Progression line of Gamma, which I've read are ever-so-slightly cheaper quality.

Davis Cup Fan 08-29-2012 05:05 PM

I have an alpha revo but no wise. But the alpha revo is super solid its amazing to string on. I would recomend it to anyone, got it in three days with free shipping.

mchjhn 08-30-2012 07:40 AM

only difference between the progression and the X series is the X series has draws and a tool tray, progression's just have a tool tray. everything else identical.

diredesire 08-31-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchjhn (Post 6846792)
only difference between the progression and the X series is the X series has draws and a tool tray, progression's just have a tool tray. everything else identical.

Don't discount the tool trays... the X series leaves much to be desired when you have more than pliers and cutters ;)

As far as the Revo. I'd give the nod to the Revo in terms of clamp design. Mounting system is a wash, tensioner is a wash.

barry 09-01-2012 01:28 AM

The Wise was one of the best investments I ever made. You could purchase a Wise and an adaptor and mount it on your existing drop weight machine. It is a nice setup. When I purchased and installed the Wise, the machine it is on is no longer important. As long as your clamps hold tension, and the mounting system is stable, why upgrade. Once I removed the drop weight assembly, my string time went down 10 minutes per racket, and stringing was a lot easier and more accurate. Since you are staying with a table top, the Revo does not buy you anything, plus it has the dated 6 knob mounting system. I added the Wise to my drop weight, built my on adapter, then upgraded to a stand machine a year later. Back in those days, Wise did not sell an adaptor.

McLovin 09-06-2012 02:59 AM

Well, I went for the combo & ordered last week.

My Revo & Wise 2086 arrived yesterday, and it took me all of 20 minutes to get it up & running, and most of that was getting the Revo out of the box (the thing weighs a ton!). Right away I could see the difference in quality vs. my Eagnas. Solid & sturdy.

I also strung my first racquet on it last evening while watching the Federer/Berdych match. At first it was awkward, as installing the Wise cancels out the '360 degree' feature of the base (the racquet handle bumps up against the Diablo), but once I got into a rhythm, things went swimmingly.

The pre-stretch feature is real nice since I do many gut/poly hybrids. No longer do I have to walk the length of my basement, ensuring I don't kink the gut on the way, then give it a tug.

All in all, I'm real happy w/ the decision.

diredesire 09-06-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 6870729)

My Revo & Wise 2086 arrived yesterday, and it took me all of 20 minutes to get it up & running, and most of that was getting the Revo out of the box (the thing weighs a ton!). Right away I could see the difference in quality vs. my Eagnas. Solid & sturdy.

I also strung my first racquet on it last evening while watching the Federer/Berdych match. At first it was awkward, as installing the Wise cancels out the '360 degree' feature of the base (the racquet handle bumps up against the Diablo), but once I got into a rhythm, things went swimmingly.

The pre-stretch feature is real nice since I do many gut/poly hybrids. No longer do I have to walk the length of my basement, ensuring I don't kink the gut on the way, then give it a tug.

Well, to be fair, the pre-stretch function doesn't solve what manual pre-stretching is for: coil memory. It's not to be used (nor considered) as a substitute. Most stringers aren't prestretching gut for the tension effects.

McLovin 09-07-2012 02:47 AM

Odd, because the one string I've never had issues w/ coil memory is gut. There are a few polys that drive me crazy, but gut usually opens up nice (I've been using Pacific for the last few years).

On a side note, I measured my tension w/ the iPhone app, and I need to drop the tension by ~ 4lbs to be equivalent with my previous machine's numbers. It turns out I've been stringing 54lb mains /52lb crosses for years now...

10SDad 02-09-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 6870729)

Hi McLovin. Wondering if you have an update on your combo usage. I'm considering the same combo or DC+/Wise to replace a Klippermate I've been using for nine years. Also considering Stringway ML100 as I'm used to DW, but the Alpha/Wise looks great. I string a lot of gut/poly as well, so it's important the machine accommodate that well. Feel free to email me as well: tjohnson at sedonatek dot com. Thanks for any feedback you are willing to give.