Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   String setup 10 year old (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=437840)

ga tennis 08-29-2012 08:49 AM

String setup 10 year old

Currently using black code 18 full set. Im thinking of softening up the string bed because i dont want to hurt her arm. I was told by someone on here to try the x one biphase and the blackcode as a hybrid. I was just wandering do you guys think i should put the black code as the mains or the x one as the mains. These strings are expensive so i dont wanna waste any. Also what do you guys think about using gut with the black code. I an using 18g because i know its a little better for her arm.

10ismom 08-29-2012 10:44 AM

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...t=string+setup This thread might be helpful for you.
My younger daughter just turned 13. We recently tried a new setup with natural gut 16g main and copoly 17g cross. She likes it a lot. Good blend of control and power.
Before this she used Poly16 main and NXT 16 cross. Multifilament cross string would break after ~2-3 wk. She played 2 hr after school 4 days a week and plays tourn. 1-2/month+ some practice matches. Good thing about Multi is it will break so you will not have to worry you leave poly too long. We never tried Multi main. From what I read in several string threads about poly-muti hybrid, many people said muti in main broke too fast. Most put multi in cross.

ga tennis 08-29-2012 10:48 AM

Thanks 10ismom.

Tennishacker 08-29-2012 11:17 AM

Wow, 18g strings and gut for young juniors, you must be in the 1%!

Young juniors and especially girls, should use at the most hybrid poly main and syn gut/multi cross.

My recommendation for 12 and younger girls is full multi or syn. gut. Soft strings for developing young bodies help prevent arm, shoulder and wrist injuries.
With full multi/syn., a full time junior player will have to restring every 2 to 3 weeks.

With my son, we used multi till he was strong enough to break them within 1 week. At that time, I went with poly main multi cross. That set up lasted almost 2 weeks, at which time it was time to restring.

With my daughter, we used full multi till she was about 16, at which time she was strong enough to handle a poly main multi cross.

Search the string section, you'll find that poly strings are over rated. Best use of poly is for players that are frequent string breakers.

If you have the time to string, it's a great money saver.

INTO10s 08-29-2012 11:21 AM

The cost difference is small (~$3) but well worth it. I would consider buying a stringing machine it will pay for itself quickly. I use an Alpha Revo 4000 ($650): excellent, crank handled table top stringer.

Again this is what we are using. My daughter is 12yo, 5ft tall and hits a strong, heavy ball with a semi/full western grip with an Aero Pro Drive babalot racquet.

Mains: Technifibre black code, 17G, 49 lbs (moves well across the cross strings to help with spin), $13/2 racquets strung
Crosses: X-phase one, 16G, 54 lbs, $16/2 racquets strung

Absolutely no problems with arm, good control and touch while still able to create strong spin. She plays 4 time a wk, 3hrs/day during the week and a tournament every other weekend. Will lasts about 3 weeks but I usually restring every 2 weeks.

Here is a good,brief article about how to choose strings for junior players and prevent injures from using polys.

http://www.tennisconsult.com/tennis-...ennis-players/

Tennishacker 08-29-2012 11:27 AM

^^^^
Good link/article, I pulled this from the last paragraph.

"I would recommend that juniors play with multi-filament strings that offer some “compassion” for their arms and give them some touch and feel for the ball on their strings. This will also help them developmentally as players so that they can learn about different parts of the game and develop better skills. As players mature and age up into the 16’s and 18’s poly may be an option but better would be a co-poly which is kinder and gentler than the pure poly but, still has many of the traits of the poly. I would also suggest strongly that a blend of strings (very common today) be used by juniors. An example of this would be using poly in the main strings and a good multi-filament in the crosses."

gameboy 08-29-2012 01:14 PM

I don't know why you wouldn't use full gut for kids this young. It is not like they break string that often.

The amount of extra spin that is generated due to poly at their swing speed is not worth jeopardizing their long term health.

TCF 08-29-2012 01:28 PM

================================================== ==

INTO10s 08-29-2012 01:31 PM

I assume from your comment that you haven't seen how kids this young hit now a days. We started with a multifilament (X-one biphase and also NXT Tour 16G) and within one week they where either heavily frayed or broke. So we added the Co-poly strings to the mains, more to add durability then for spin and it has allowed us to keep the control, softness while increasing the durability and lifespan.

gameboy 08-29-2012 05:48 PM

I know how hard they hit. There are plenty at my club.

When I say "often", I mean after 4 to 5 hours. I have found that when I play with full gut, they usually last about 50% longer than synthetics. Fraying in synthetics lead to breakage pretty quickly, but that is not so with gut. My daughter's racquet is also heavily frayed but it lasts months and months.

TCF is correct. The kids are using pretty stiff racquets these days and you want something soft and resilient like gut to take some blows off the arm.

ga is already spendng a ton on tennis for his child. I don't know why you would go cheap on this.

arche3 08-29-2012 08:39 PM

Gut mains poly cross, only way for kids IMO. It lasts a decent time. And has great feel. Pairs well with stiff babolats. Vs 16/rpm17 hybrid lasts my 11 year old son about 2 months. And he hits harder than I do.

Bash and Crash 08-29-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga tennis (Post 6844004)
Currently using black code 18 full set. Im thinking of softening up the string bed because i dont want to hurt her arm. I was told by someone on here to try the x one biphase and the blackcode as a hybrid. I was just wandering do you guys think i should put the black code as the mains or the x one as the mains. These strings are expensive so i dont wanna waste any. Also what do you guys think about using gut with the black code. I an using 18g because i know its a little better for her arm.

Does it have to be Technifibre string? I've been using Volkl Polyfibre and Rpm Blast combo and plays very well although they wear out quickly for me, should last for a 10yr old, but could easily swap others(MSV,Cyclone, Big Hitter Black) for RPM. I think you can easily find another combo that plays just as well and saves you $$.

Alohajrtennis 08-30-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bash and Crash (Post 6846113)
Does it have to be Technifibre string? I've been using Volkl Polyfibre and Rpm Blast combo and plays very well although they wear out quickly for me, should last for a 10yr old, but could easily swap others(MSV,Cyclone, Big Hitter Black) for RPM. I think you can easily find another combo that plays just as well and saves you $$.

My Daughter, just made 11, plays with a Pure Drive strung with Xcel 17(mulit-filament). She hits hard, very hard, for an 11 year old that is, and the strings generally last about three weeks before she busts them, with about 10 hours a week practice, plus tournaments on weekends. We have played around with other configurations but I've settled on this for this for a while. Never had any arm problems.

TCF 08-30-2012 06:21 AM

I================================================= ===

10ismom 08-30-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6846630)
I would not let my girl touch most Babolats. Too stiff. Wilson has a lot of better options for young girls.

As far as people saying no arm problems. You will not see those in many cases until the later teens when it is too late. Amazing almost no posters ever mention frame stiffness when this topic comes up but are experts on strings. Strings are down the list in regards to arm safety behind stiffness, head balance, proper warm up, technique, injury prevention work outs, and age appropriate work load.

Frame stiffness definitely plays a role and most parents and coaches (of a serious junior) know. My 2 kids never use stiff frames. Actually, I hate stiff frame for myself, an adult rec player.
GA tennis just asked about string setup here.
Parents should be careful on both racket and string setup to prevent any arm injury in a child. Do a thorough search or ask for advice from a reliable, knowledgeble coach or other sources.

TenAll 08-30-2012 07:41 AM

My 10 year old girl plays with Babolat Drive Z Lite with Addiction 16 strings. Looking for better string for the price and a new frame. She plays semi-western, fast swing, 10 hours a week plus tournaments every other week. Figured Babolat Pure Drive Z would be the next step for her, but after reading comments above I am wondering if there is a better junior frame?!
Thanks

ga tennis 08-30-2012 09:11 AM

So do you guys think i need to get rid of the babolats?

TCF 08-30-2012 09:18 AM

ga tennis 08-30-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6847020)
His original post said he was wanting to discuss string setup in regards to her arm safety. I simply pointed out that worrying about string safety over stiffness is a waste of time. The 2 topics can not be discussed without each other.

Should i let her try the Juice? She LOVES the Babolat.

TCF 08-30-2012 09:21 AM