Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Somebody virtually slap me... Quick!!! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=437939)

rolleroh 08-30-2012 12:10 AM

Somebody virtually slap me... Quick!!!

I have spent countless hours over the past several days agonizing over the timeless quandary- buy a stringing machine or continue to be anally violated by stringing labor cost & being helpless while my lonely racquetS sit in a closet waiting for their turn to be handled by a stranger for the 3rd time each month bc I want to get the shiny new string that will give me the Bugs Bunny slice BH or make my 1st serve topspin over the fence.

So I'm fairly certain I will quickly recover my investment.

The problem now turns to the fact that I also require the shiny pro shop machine to sit in my basement where only I will know, see, or care that I own it, bc the economic & extremely reliable entry level options are clearly not going to claim that basement space.

Somewhere along the way, the idea was planted convincing me that I should buy a machine from a company who does not even make a convincing effort to cover up their exploitation of very weak American white collar/ financial crime laws, by blatantly going under & reselling the same equipment under the cover of at least 3 different business names I was able to track down in about 17 minutes.

This is of course Eagnas, and 1 of the 2 models that accidentally resulted in solid quality products for the price- EAG-300 or FLEX 940.

These models have received positive user feedback from a number of reputable sources.

The rub staring me directly in the face is the simple fact that I would consciously purchase a fairly big ticket, new product, knowing the high level of risk that exists - in other words flipping a coin hoping that I receive 'one of the good ones'.

Even knowing this, these models are significantly superior compared to anything close to the $4-500 price point based on my limited knowledge & fairly thorough research.

Someone please slap the sense back into my head before I convince myself to make this tainted purchase.

kairosntx 08-30-2012 12:19 AM

DON'T DO IT! <<slap>>

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/archi.../t-262748.html

McLovin 08-30-2012 03:52 AM

My 1st stringer was an Alpha Pioneer. I had it for almost 14 years and the only problem I had was the spring snapped (sheared would be a better term).

Five years ago I decided to buy a newer one and went with Eagnas because (a) it was considerably cheaper, and (b) it looked to be the same as some of the other models I was looking at. Today I'm replacing the Eagnas and going back to Alpha (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=437813), mostly because I'm stringing more racquets than before, but also because the Eagnas is a POS.

In the 5 years I've owned it, I've had problems with the gripper (first the string would slip, then I had a problem w/ the ball bearings), the spring snapped 2 years into it, and I've had multiple problems with the clamps not locking. Oh, and customer service has been poo-poo (I pilfered parts from my old Alpha to fix a few problems).

Consider yourself slapped...

Irvin 08-30-2012 10:11 AM

I owned an Eagnas for about 3 years. The first thing that went out was the tensioner so I got a Wise. After that I got a Gamma and put the Wise on it. I've had it for about five years now and it is working as good today as it did when I got it. Go slap yourself you fool.

EDIT: You can slap yourself now or you can slap yourself later. The choice is yours don't make it an expensive one.

seekay 08-30-2012 11:34 AM

I followed the same path as Irvin: had a serviceable Eagnas, added a Wise, and then bought a Gamma 6004. Now everything is great.

My Eagnas frustrated me because it was built with pretty sloppy tolerances. After I fixed the wobbling turntable and rebuilt the clamp bases, it functioned pretty well. My experience was akin to buying an older used car: the up-front cost is low, but you have to go into it expecting to find things in need of repair.

That's a sample size of one (older) Eagnas machine, so it might not be relevant to the machine you're planning to get.

Still, my advice would be to save up for a Gamma or Alpha machine. It sounds like you'll string enough to justify a more expensive machine given enough time.

Woolybugger 08-30-2012 11:37 AM

you get what you pay for.

pvaudio 08-30-2012 12:19 PM

My first machine was a Flex 940. First tip: go for the assist clamp bases, not the cone lock ones. He charges, and I kid you not TWO HUNDRED dollars just for the clamp upgrade if you start with the 940, when the same machine with just the different bases is I believe 30 more. The machine is also built with lower build quality than something from Gamma or Alpha which you would expect. I don't, however, regret buying the machine. It was always calibrated properly and as far as I know, is still stringing racquets at another university (I gave it to my sister when I got my Aria, who gave it to one of our tennis friends when I got her a Gamma 5003 6-pt). It will serve you well for as long as you are willing to put up with it. It also will let you appreciate the higher build quality of more expensive machines from Alpha, Prince and Gamma (let alone Babolat, Technifibre and Wilson).

coachrick 08-30-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woolybugger (Post 6847226)
you get what you pay for.

With apologies to my neighbor, I don't believe you always get what you pay for; however, it is the very rare occurrence that you get MORE than you pay for. ;)

I'd be all over an Alpha or Gamma machine after my 40 years in the business(given the general price range); but I will say the prices on the Eags look darned attractive(provided the page I accessed was current and the units are in stock) for the 'platform' you're looking at.

diredesire 08-30-2012 12:37 PM

There are some models that are solid in the eagnas line, but there's still the risk you get a bad one, and you're out the money. I don't waste time buying crappy machines these days, I'm on a Gamma 5800 ELS now, and I'll probably upgrade to a Babolat Star X at some point. Don't buy a machine that you hae to fight with to get strings in your frame. It'll only remind you every time you mount a frame that you made a bad purchase.

DD

mikeler 08-30-2012 01:01 PM

Life is too short to deal with a crappy tennis machine. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably look for a higher end used one.

Tennishacker 08-30-2012 02:01 PM

I have been string for over 30 years, started on a Ektelon, cost about $950 in 1979, sold it in 1993 for $400, bought a Neos/Ektelon 1000 same year for just over $1000. Still using 1000 with no problems ever.

Find a used ektelon (usually around $500) or invest $500 more for a new Neos 1000.

Power Player 08-30-2012 02:05 PM

Agree with all of this. I dropped $500 on a used stringway, and I absolutely do not regret it. I can bang out a stick with accurate tension that plays great in 40 minutes now.

Automatic dropweight is godly - amazing time saver.

cluckcluck 08-30-2012 02:41 PM

You asked for it:

cluckcluck 08-30-2012 02:44 PM

Oh and if you're interested, I have an Eagnas Hawk 20e that's I'm looking to unload. It's 2 point and electric tension head.

SoBad 08-30-2012 02:46 PM

Just pull the string by hand until you feel that the tension is right. :gently touching your chest:

:lol:

struggle 08-30-2012 03:01 PM

eagnas combo 910, if you must.

i liked mine just fine, BUT i like my Gamma 6004 much better.

if the eagnas price point works for you, do it, but get the 910 if you're gonna get an upright crank machine, just my 2 cents.

I Heart Thomas Muster 08-30-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 6847872)
I have been string for over 30 years, started on a Ektelon, cost about $950 in 1979, sold it in 1993 for $400, bought a Neos/Ektelon 1000 same year for just over $1000. Still using 1000 with no problems ever.

Find a used ektelon (usually around $500) or invest $500 more for a new Neos 1000.

What he said. I paid $500.00 for a used Neos and it never let me down. Only reason I got a newer model is because she was looking rough. I called her the Millennium Falcon. She may not have looked like much but she had it where it counted. The machine would have lasted decades. I also had an Eagnas Combo 810 and while it gave me little in the way of trouble it was in no way the same quality as either of my three Neos machines.

TennisNinja 08-30-2012 05:56 PM

I have a Neos as well. Buy it! I've had it for 4 years now I think and it's great.

zapvor 08-30-2012 07:20 PM

neos is great if you are very high volume.

i agree with all of teh above. invest in more now and you will save much much more down the road

rolleroh 08-30-2012 11:08 PM

Wow!!!

Thanks to everyone for the advice, objective and supported suggestions, and mostly for fulfilling my humble request to be slapped back into the world of sensibility.

Given the feedback, I would like to ask the obvious follow-up:

If forced to buy new, due to lack of available quality used machines within a 3-hour driving circumference from my home (😡 I was very much banking on a decent selection, hoping for a Neos 1000, and there are literally 0 used spring tension machines at all!!), which brand/model represents the 'actual' best spring tension bang for buck in the $5-800 window?

Thanks again for the quick responses, and any help w/ my next move is very much appreciated--

FYI- I am a new/inexperienced stringer, planning on actually enjoying the process, & using my machine to string racquets locally (starting w/ tennis friends & acquaintances in addition to my own stuff, then hopefully stepping up in volume if all goes well).....

I have only been playing 'seriously' about 6-months, and am very much addicted to the game, along w/ equipment (racquets/ strings/ customizing & general tinkering w racquet specs), technology, and any other miscellaneous nonsense you can think of that occupies my time & aggravates my wife