Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Is it probable that Nadal will retire now? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=438203)

TheCanadian 08-31-2012 09:10 PM

Is it probable that Nadal will retire now?

I think his loss to Rosol destroyed him mentally. His knees looked fine at FO and Wimbledon. This long absence is abnormal.

dudeski 08-31-2012 09:12 PM

One can sure hope.

90's Clay 08-31-2012 09:16 PM

Well he's only missed a slam.. He should continue going (if he can physically).. There a lot of slams to be won out there with this crappy new generation of players we got

Crisstti 08-31-2012 09:18 PM

Yet more nonsense.

The only influence I see the Rosol match having is that he could well feel that it isn't worth playing through the injury if he's not going to be able to win.

Clarky21 08-31-2012 09:26 PM

You really think a loss to Rosol detroyed him mentally? Nadal lost 7 straight finals to **** and still managed to beat him 3 times this year,one of those in a slam final. If anything was going to destroy him mentally ,it would have been the ownage **** had over him last year. Not losing to some nobody mug like Rosol.

NadalAgassi 08-31-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 6853132)
Well he's only missed a slam.. He should continue going (if he can physically).. There a lot of slams to be won out there with this crappy new generation of players we got

LOL so blunt but so true.

RF-17-GOAT 08-31-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeski (Post 6853123)
One can sure hope.

Made me laugh out loud.

Crisstti 08-31-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 6853149)
You really think a loss to Rosol detroyed him mentally? Nadal lost 7 straight finals to **** and still managed to beat him 3 times this year,one of those in a slam final. If anything was going to destroy him mentally ,it would have been the ownage **** had over him last year. Not losing to some nobody mug like Rosol.

Precisely.

It's hard to believe some of these people are actually serious.

TheCanadian 08-31-2012 09:50 PM

I'm sure losing to a nobody just after winning the FO had a devastating effect. I mean, when he physically assaulted Rosol, you could see the wheels come off.

This is a huge break from tennis for the men's circuit.

AnotherTennisProdigy 08-31-2012 09:51 PM

You never know. Three years ago Roddick was having a late career surge, his level of play was high. Then he lost to Lu in wimbledon 2010, and after that loss for some reason he just wasn't the same. Look at where andy is now.

Still, we haven't seen Nadal play since that match.

Sentinel 08-31-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF-17-GOAT (Post 6853151)
Made me laugh out loud.

"One can (only) hope" - aphex

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex (Post 6216022)
One can only hope...

:)

cc0509 08-31-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 6853149)

I agree with you Clarky but we never know for sure what goes through Nadal's (or any player for that matter) head and maybe after that Rosol loss he was mentally burnt out in addition to whatever physical problems he was having. We'll never know unless he decides to tell us the full story.

mistik 08-31-2012 11:41 PM

Nadal has injury problems and not the same player since 08.
I begin to think more and more like CLARKY .I think there is no passion on his tennis and he isnt enjoying that much.

vamospunch 09-01-2012 12:11 AM

According to everything I've read about Hoffa syndrome, there is no treatment for it, and it goes away with rest. If you rest (real rest, not just a couple of weeks), you are fine. That's what RNadal did, took a vacation to recover from Hoffa syndrome. Only way to fix it. He's now been training for a couple of weeks, but obviously you can't regain full fitness for the US Open after such a long vacation. The week of training he had before the US Open was never going to be enough. And that's what Uncle Toni said, he said RNadal hadn't strengthened his quads in time for the US Open. He would be a fool to play the US Open when his muscles were not ready. You can easily tear a muscle if you play at the highest level after such a long break. That is what happened in 2009 when he skipped Wimbledon and then came back too quickly and tore his stomach muscle (strained it a couple of weeks before the US Open and then tore it at the US Open).

I think RNadal would be over the moon right now, because it looks like the pain he had at Miami and Wimbledon was Hoffa syndrome, and not tendinitis (and you can understand why they thought it was tendinitis originally, since Hoffa syndrome is extremely rare). RNadal has recently said he is very happy to know that his tendons are fine, and that the treatment he's been having since 2009 has worked. To know that all he's had this year is Hoffa syndrome is a great relief, because Hoffa syndrome is such a minor problem, cured by rest, and otherwise known to be cured by removing a portion of fat from behind the knee. This is actually the first year since 2007 that RNadal hasn't had a flare-up of knee tendinitis. Consider that a warning.....because RNadal will come back with a vengeance at the 2013 Australian Open, you can count on that. That essentially means he's winning the first 2 slams of 2013. Once he does that, just sit back and enjoy history being made.

BreakPoint 09-01-2012 12:28 AM

Nadal is burnt out. I don't think he enjoys tennis anymore. More of a chore for him these days. And his bad knees certainly don't help.

I'd bet he's texting Roddick right now and asking for advice on how best to abruptly retire. :shock:

Prisoner of Birth 09-01-2012 12:30 AM

As one of the guys that counted him out after his time-out in 2009, I will never make the mistake again. He's gonna come back strong, even if it's only for an year or two.

vamospunch 09-01-2012 12:42 AM

This is one of many threads that will be bumped in 2013, for the amusement of RNadal fans, while the ill-wishers pray for Hoffa syndrome to return.

vamospunch 09-01-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistik (Post 6853389)
Nadal has injury problems and not the same player since 08.
I begin to think more and more like CLARKY .I think there is no passion on his tennis and he isnt enjoying that much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 6853435)
Nadal is burnt out. I don't think he enjoys tennis anymore. More of a chore for him these days. And his bad knees certainly don't help.

I'd bet he's texting Roddick right now and asking for advice on how best to abruptly retire. :shock:

Good luck finding an event where RNadal threw more fist-pumps than the 2012 Australian Open. The semi vs Federer and final vs Djokovic alone produced more emotion from RNadal than I've ever seen from an entire event. He was more emotionally invested than ever before. I would also point to the Rosol match. Did RNadal look like a player who didn't care if he won or lost Wimbledon? That Rosol match is probably the most angry RNadal has ever looked on court. Not angry at tennis, angry at the prospect of being knocked out of Wimbledon. RNadal has shown more enthusiasm in 2012 than he ever showed in 2011. Actually, I seem to recall a relatively sedate persona in 2010, despite all the winning. 2012 is the most passionate RNadal ever. And Djokovic is the reason why.

^ RNadal after defeating Federer at the 2012 Australian Open semi-finals.

mistik 09-01-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisoner of Birth (Post 6853436)
As one of the guys that counted him out after his time-out in 2009, I will never make the mistake again. He's gonna come back strong, even if it's only for an year or two.

2009 he was still pretty young and so much to prove.He is middle aged at the moment.İn tennis terms he is 2 or 3 years older than the likes of Djokovic and Murray.Fed is 31 years old but a late bloomer,Rafa in tennis terms is 28 years old at least with a fragile body.If he would have turn back to greatness for year or two that would have been more than enough for him.

Tennis_Hands 09-01-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCanadian (Post 6853117)
I think his loss to Rosol destroyed him mentally. His knees looked fine at FO and Wimbledon. This long absence is abnormal.

The loss to Rosol hurt him mentally.

I wouldn't go that far to call it demolition.

But, yeah, I agree, that his movement was normal at both FO and Wimbledon.