Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Tension loss (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=438239)

Calor1 09-01-2012 08:00 AM

Tension loss
 
Hello,

Is it normal that the tension right after stringing babolat pro hurricane tour 15L in a racket at 59.5 lbs is only 56.6 lbs. (Using racquettune app)
Is it me doing a bad string job, my machine being badly calibrated or is it normal?
I'm using a constant pull machine but I've actually never bothered to calibrate it.

Bowtiesarecool 09-01-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calor1 (Post 6853995)
Hello,

Is it normal that the tension right after stringing babolat pro hurricane tour 15L in a racket at 59.5 lbs is only 56.6 lbs. (Using racquettune app)
Is it me doing a bad string job, my machine being badly calibrated or is it normal?
I'm using a constant pull machine but I've actually never bothered to calibrate it.

Is it a lockout machine?

Bowtiesarecool 09-01-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowtiesarecool (Post 6854003)
Is it a lockout machine?

sry, didn't notice last sentence. Check your calibration.

cluckcluck 09-01-2012 09:21 AM

How long are you holding tension on each pull? Do you pre-stretch your string? Have you checked your clamps lately?

Calor1 09-01-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 6854175)
How long are you holding tension on each pull? Do you pre-stretch your string? Have you checked your clamps lately?

1. As long as it takes me to release the clamp from the previous string and attach it to the string being tensioned (not more than a few seconds).

2. I don't pre-stretch.

3. The clamps can be tightened or loosened and I always check when I pull the first main that the string doesn't slip through.

cluckcluck 09-01-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calor1 (Post 6854243)
1. As long as it takes me to release the clamp from the previous string and attach it to the string being tensioned (not more than a few seconds).

2. I don't pre-stretch.

3. The clamps can be tightened or loosened and I always check when I pull the first main that the string doesn't slip through.

1. let the strings settle for 5-10 seconds under tension before you clamp.

2. you might be stretching the strings beyond the points of elasticity at 59lbs. on a poly. Consider lower tensions.

struggle 09-01-2012 09:49 AM

I'd call it normal. The strings relax over time (and that varies, of course).

Calor1 09-01-2012 09:56 AM

I'll wait a little longer before I clamp next time.

I've measured it again a few hours after stringing and it's now only 52 lbs. It seems to stabilize at 52 because I have another racket that's been strung a few weeks ago and it's at 51.5 lbs.

struggle 09-01-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calor1 (Post 6854281)
I'll wait a little longer before I clamp next time.

The key here is consistency. The longer you wait on a CP machine, the more the string is stretched (losing some of its' elasticity, IMO).

You could also up the tension abit, but do be as consistent as possible.

Calor1 09-01-2012 10:35 AM

Thanks for the advice.

On a related subject: In topics where they discuss tensions, when someone says he uses 55 lbs it actually means his real tension would be a only 50.
Same thing for the pro's. Is the 21 kgs Fed plays 21 kgs on the machine or 21 kgs real tension?

cluckcluck 09-01-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calor1 (Post 6854407)
Thanks for the advice.

On a related subject: In topics where they discuss tensions, when someone says he uses 55 lbs it actually means his real tension would be a only 50.
Same thing for the pro's. Is the 21 kgs Fed plays 21 kgs on the machine or 21 kgs real tension?

Not at all. There are so many variables when it comes to stringing that not one thing is accurate.
Difference in climate.
Difference in stringer technique.
Difference in pull speed.
etc.

Dags 09-01-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calor1 (Post 6853995)
Is it normal that the tension right after stringing babolat pro hurricane tour 15L in a racket at 59.5 lbs is only 56.6 lbs. (Using racquettune app)

If every time you string the same racquet with the same string at the same tension, you get the same reading from racquetTune, then yes, it's normal.

Whilst racquetTune is designed to give a reading close to the reference tension on the machine, it really doesn't matter whether it does or not. What does matter is that the results are consistent, which will indicate that you're producing a consistent string job.

However, if the numbers are important to you, then one question I will ask: are you measuring the string factor, or using one of the generic pre-sets? That can make quite a difference in the reading you achieve.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse