Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Are TreTorn Pressureless Balls hard on the elbow/arm? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=438287)

JPW 09-01-2012 03:53 PM

Are TreTorn Pressureless Balls hard on the elbow/arm?

I just got a ball machine and have had some issues with tennis elbow in the past. I was thinking about getting some TreTorn Pressureless balls for the ball machine since they last so long, but then I think I read somewhere that these pressureless balls are actually much harder on the arm and elbow than regular balls. Is that true?

Nostradamus 09-01-2012 03:55 PM

Yes, very hard on the shoulders. even worse than the Dunlop heavy duty balls

The Meat 09-01-2012 03:56 PM

I bought a 3 pack because I was curious about how it plays in regular rallies. It didn't really feel all that much harder than a new ball out of a can. Though my friend was having troubles with playing with a 10oz racquet vs me playing with a racquet almost 13oz.

JPW 09-01-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 6855486)
Yes, very hard on the shoulders. even worse than the Dunlop heavy duty balls

Thanks. Well, that sort of does it for me then. I don't want to cause any more issues for my arm/elbow than I have to. Now I can only wonder what the best regular tennis ball would be for a ball machine. I have been using Prince Tennis Balls and loved them, but now I think that company is going through a reorg so there balls are no longer available.

ramos77 09-02-2012 02:21 AM

I wouldn't make a decision on these balls based on one persons option, no offence to the poster..

The Micro-x balls are fine, buy a few and try them out first for yourself

Torres 09-02-2012 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramos77 (Post 6856518)
I wouldn't make a decision on these balls based on one persons opinion, no offence to the poster..

Agreed. I definitely wouldn't make a decision based on what that poster says, as he's banned poster who has simply re-registered under a different username and has a long history of trolling, deliberately posting misinformation, spam etc. He's not a reptable poster.

Nostradamus 09-02-2012 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPW (Post 6855522)
Thanks. Well, that sort of does it for me then. I don't want to cause any more issues for my arm/elbow than I have to. Now I can only wonder what the best regular tennis ball would be for a ball machine. I have been using Prince Tennis Balls and loved them, but now I think that company is going through a reorg so there balls are no longer available.

Yea, that prince ball is good when fresh and new, but it becomes very hard to control once it starts to lose its fuzz. Unlike the US open wilson balls which maintains its control and playbility thruout.

IdrinkYourMilkshake 09-02-2012 06:08 AM

In my opinion, use pressureless and make sure to take breaks. I think people tend to use a machine too much in consecutive fashion. I use regular balls and keep them pressurized, but they still soften up even though they have the same pressure...due to felt loss and rubber getting squeezed. A new ball out of the can will feel a little harder and I think pressureless will mimic this feeling the best -longer. After going through 120 balls three times, that's about an hour for me and your arm will feel it even with regular balls. I don't think it matters which ball, it's personal preference either way, just take breaks.

ricki 09-02-2012 09:19 AM

There is new version: MicroX Comfort, check it out

PrinceMoron 09-02-2012 09:25 AM

There are several versions of Tretorn balls.

There is also a pressured ball with a treatment that helps keep the pressure good, a chemical lining, I think. It is the Serie ball, as used in Challenger matches. I found them very true, with a slightly lower bounce, and they keep the pressure well.

There is also the Comfort version of the pressure less ball. It is less 'hard' than the original X ball.

They do sound a little different when you hit them. IMHO a whole lot better than a flat dog tired Wilson etc. I really don't like the extra duty versions of some balls like Slazenger, and find them hard.

A tube of Head ATPs would last me about four hours indoors, spread over a max of two days, after that they are fit for the bin, so maybe I like a hard ball.

I think Uncle Toni made Nadal play with rubbish balls, strings etc to teach him that a winning attitude has nothing to do with perfect conditions.

So try out some of the Tretorns and don't go by other people's experience that is based solely on the very first Tretorns on the market.

PrinceMoron 09-02-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricki (Post 6857247)
There is new version: MicroX Comfort, check it out

Sorry, missed that post, yes Comfort ball well worth trying.

JPW 09-03-2012 02:52 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I wasn't even aware Tretorn made a comfort ball. Does anyone know if there are any drawbacks to this ball when compared to their standard Micro X Ball?

Also, I am surprised to see just how difficult it is to find that comfort ball being sold anywhere in a batch of 72. I can't even find a review on the comfort ball. If anyone has any additional information I would appreciate it.

bugeyed 09-03-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 6856558)
Agreed. I definitely wouldn't make a decision based on what that poster says, as he's banned poster who has simply re-registered under a different username and has a long history of trolling, deliberately posting misinformation, spam etc. He's not a reptable poster.

When making statements like this, you should be very clear to whom you are referring! Are you talking about Nostradamus?

Cheers,
kev

Chotobaka 09-03-2012 06:43 AM

I have found that the regular Micro-X (not the new Comfort version) play very, very close to regular pressurized balls and are not at all hard on the arm/wrist (and I have recently been recovering from injuries). In contrast, traditional pressureless balls feel rock hard to me.

TCF 09-03-2012 07:28 AM

================================================== ==

PimpMyGame 09-03-2012 08:10 AM

If there is a comfort variant try it. Like other poster have said, the regular pressureless balls will make actual blood drip from your elbow.

JPW 09-03-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PimpMyGame (Post 6860176)
If there is a comfort variant try it. Like other poster have said, the regular pressureless balls will make actual blood drip from your elbow.

I hear ya', but man, I can't find these tennis balls anywhere. I can't even find the Tretorn company to try and call them to see if they might know where the comfort variety Tretorn ball might be sold.

greg_in_atl 09-06-2012 10:32 AM

I recently purchased some Tretorn MicroX pressureless balls for use in my ball machine. I've used them a few times with my wife and son - we all thought they hit like regular tennis balls.

The Tretorns had to be mail-ordered and they were the exact same price everywhere I looked, but I am glad I got them.

Previously, we'd been using Penn pressureless balls and we all agreed that the Tretorns felt better.

kopfan 09-06-2012 10:55 AM

tretorn micro x hit very similar to regular ball and will unlikely cause elbow issue. The rubber core of the ball is not hard like other pressureless ball that use hard rubber to maintain the bouce. Some people feel that micro x hit heavy is because of the sound and not the weight of the ball. Because the ball is not hollow, it is filled with millions of microcell and regular ball is empty but air. The effect of bouce and impact is pretty much the same between micro x and regular pressure ball. I would say that micro x ball need some break in time and these balls will play very similar to regular pressure balls yet they keep the right bouce forever.