Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Roger : best ever, The four of us? Thatís a really difficult call. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=438339)

tennissportsrog 09-02-2012 02:29 AM

Roger : best ever, The four of us? Thatís a really difficult call.

An interview with: ROGER FEDERER
Saturday, August 25, 2012

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Both McEnroe and Agassi said in the World Team Tennis match this July that tennis right now at the top, menís tennis is the toughest ever. Do you think you four guys are the toughest maybe in history in terms of competing against each other and winning events?

ROGER FEDERER: Iíd say no, but I donít know. Just because you look back maybe 15 years, then you have Sampras, Edberg, Becker, and Agassi, I donít know who else. Those guys werenít good or what? Do you know what I mean?

You look back, further back, 20 years, and you have the Connors and the Lendls. Those werenít good either? I mean, I donít know. So for me I think thatís respectful. Itís just different times and definitely more athletic, thereís no doubt about that. But then again we donít play doubles. We donít play mixed. Maybe we play less matches today because itís more taxing, but we do play less best‑of‑five set tennis than they used to play. You canít compare really.

but we have somewhat of a golden era right now. I feel that truly. Itís nice to see Andy making his move at the Olympics, nice to see Novak having an absolutely ridiculous year last year, and then Rafa and myself still being around. Itís definitely good times. Past that you still have great champions as well. Itís very interesting at the top right now, and the depth I think has never been greater than right now. Thereís no doubt about that.

But then best ever? The four of us? Thatís a really difficult call.

http://richtweets.com/2sloc

:wink:

tennissportsrog 09-02-2012 02:31 AM

wise and humble Roger

true great.

:cool:

tennissportsrog 09-02-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennissportsrog (Post 6856525)

Q. Both McEnroe and Agassi said in the World Team Tennis match this July that tennis right now at the top, menís tennis is the toughest ever. Do you think you four guys are the toughest maybe in history in terms of competing against each other and winning events?

ROGER FEDERER: Iíd say no, but I donít know. Just because you look back maybe 15 years, then you have Sampras, Edberg, Becker, and Agassi, I donít know who else. Those guys werenít good or what? Do you know what I mean?

You look back, further back, 20 years, and you have the Connors and the Lendls. Those werenít good either? I mean, I donít know. So for me I think thatís respectful. Itís just different times and definitely more athletic, thereís no doubt about that. But then again we donít play doubles. We donít play mixed. Maybe we play less matches today because itís more taxing, but we do play less best‑of‑five set tennis than they used to play. You canít compare really.

but we have somewhat of a golden era right now. I feel that truly. Itís nice to see Andy making his move at the Olympics, nice to see Novak having an absolutely ridiculous year last year, and then Rafa and myself still being around. Itís definitely good times. Past that you still have great champions as well. Itís very interesting at the top right now, and the depth I think has never been greater than right now. Thereís no doubt about that.

But then best ever? The four of us? Thatís a really difficult call.

And, This.

I'm not greatest player - Roger Federer

"I don't feel better than anyone, because we need past champions to pave the way for our generation and we have become very professional," he said.

"They have led the way and inspired myself and other players to chase the big records out there.

"Back in the day they weren't doing that, they were just playing to play tennis. Things have changed dramatically with the press reminding us 'you should do this and win that and you'll be considered the greatest of all time'.

"And anyway I don't think you can compare different eras in tennis."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/18764325

:shock::mrgreen:

Dan Lobb 09-04-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennissportsrog (Post 6856525)

Q. Both McEnroe and Agassi said in the World Team Tennis match this July that tennis right now at the top, men’s tennis is the toughest ever. Do you think you four guys are the toughest maybe in history in terms of competing against each other and winning events?

ROGER FEDERER: I’d say no, but I don’t know. Just because you look back maybe 15 years, then you have Sampras, Edberg, Becker, and Agassi, I don’t know who else. Those guys weren’t good or what? Do you know what I mean?

You look back, further back, 20 years, and you have the Connors and the Lendls. Those weren’t good either? I mean, I don’t know. So for me I think that’s respectful. It’s just different times and definitely more athletic, there’s no doubt about that. But then again we don’t play doubles. We don’t play mixed. Maybe we play less matches today because it’s more taxing, but we do play less best‑of‑five set tennis than they used to play. You can’t compare really.

but we have somewhat of a golden era right now. I feel that truly. It’s nice to see Andy making his move at the Olympics, nice to see Novak having an absolutely ridiculous year last year, and then Rafa and myself still being around. It’s definitely good times. Past that you still have great champions as well. It’s very interesting at the top right now, and the depth I think has never been greater than right now. There’s no doubt about that.

But then best ever? The four of us? That’s a really difficult call.

Just for the record, Rosewall himself rated Roger number four all-time, behind Hoad, Gonzales, and Laver.
I think that Ken is a little more objective than Fed, because he is no longer concerned about current results.

tennissportsrog 09-18-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lobb (Post 6864574)
Just for the record, Rosewall himself rated Roger number four all-time, behind Hoad, Gonzales, and Laver.
I think that Ken is a little more objective than Fed, because he is no longer concerned about current results.

Rosewall ..

:neutral:

Iron Man 09-18-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lobb (Post 6864574)

Where's the evidence for what you said ?

Dan Lobb 09-18-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Man (Post 6906436)
Where's the evidence for what you said ?

We've been over this before.
It was an interview Rosewall gave to an Italian magazine at the 2010 Australian Open, and appeared online in Italian.
I read it in translation.
It was around for about a year, but disappeared about eight months ago.
I saved it on my computer, but my wife and I moved to our new house two months ago, and it was wiped out of the computer.
If you have any doubts about this story, there is an easy way to check it out.
Rosewall is still with us.

TMF 09-18-2012 09:46 AM

Whether Rosewall said it or not, he's just one guy. All the ex-players don't agree with him(eg Laver, JMac, Lendl, Borg, Agassi, etc..)

Dan Lobb 09-18-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 6906477)
Whether Rosewall said it or not, he's just one guy. All the ex-players don't agree with him(eg Laver, JMac, Lendl, Borg, Agassi, etc..)

Laver rates Hoad number one for the pre-1968 era, and says that if Hoad and Fed played each other, it would be the greatest confontation of all.

TMF 09-18-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lobb (Post 6906489)
Laver rates Hoad number one for the pre-1968 era, and says that if Hoad and Fed played each other, it would be the greatest confontation of all.

To me, best player in the open era would BEAT best player in the pre-era.

Just like Graf(best in the open era) would beat Court(best in the pre-era).

It's no contest.

Dan Lobb 09-18-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 6906505)

It's no contest.

Give Fed and Graf a wooden racquet to play with, and about 150 matches to play each year against the top ten players ONLY, and you would create something like the old tours.

kiki 09-18-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 6906505)

It's no contest.

Court won the big four in 1970

kiki 09-18-2012 11:11 PM

Imagine Hoad and Gonzales were in great shape in 63-64 and adding prime Laver and prime Rosewall you have the best quartet ever
Others:
Budge,Crawford,Perry and Vines
Tilden and 3 mousk
Kramer,Sedgman,Gonzo and Trabert in early 50
Borg,Connors,Lendl and Mac early 80
And the early 90 foursome of AA,BB,Sampras and Edberg

WOMEN
2 Williams,Sharapova and Clijsters
Seles,Graf,Hingis and Davenport
Evert,Austin,Navy,Mandlikiva early 80
Gibson,Mo,Marble and Hart in 50
And the toughest ever, in 70:
EVERT,COURT,GOOLAGONG,BJK

CyBorg 09-19-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 6906477)

Yes, because you've done a complete survey of ex-players.

Dan Lobb 09-19-2012 06:27 AM

Delete this.

Dan Lobb 09-19-2012 06:28 AM

Delete this.

TMF 09-19-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyBorg (Post 6907654)
Yes, because you've done a complete survey of ex-players.

I don't need to, but just read what they have said.

kiki 09-25-2012 01:13 PM

Playing on the WEAT and a losing record vs big time rival suffices to put Roger straight into second or third tier where he will find another lucky fellow named
Roy Emerson

hoodjem 09-25-2012 02:18 PM

Hoad
Laver
?
Federer

(peak-level play)

pc1 09-25-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodjem (Post 6918854)
Hoad
Laver
?
Federer

(peak-level play)

So many choices for top level play. Question to ask, can Federer really have a top peak level for one match if you may favor at least one current player over him on many surfaces even when playing his best? To me peak level means no matter what an opponent does, the inevitable loss will happen whether you hit to the forehand, backhand, use junk or anything else.

A good example of this is how Arthur Ashe described Rod Laver from his superb book "Arthur Ashe-Protrait in Motion." "When Laver goes on one of those tears, it's just ridiculous. He starts hitting the lines, and then he starts hitting the lines harder--and harder and harder. NO ONE CAN STOP HIM."
The key words to me here is "No one can stop him."

Now if you argue for a year or a few years, I can go with that for Federer. But if you argue that then clearly Tilden, Borg, Gonzalez, Rosewall and a number of others belong in the equation.

Since many players argue for one match for their life they would pick Pancho Gonzalez I think you may have to put him in the peak level for one match category too.