Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I'm not greatest player - Roger Federer (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=438341)

tennissportsrog 09-02-2012 02:45 AM

I'm not greatest player - Roger Federer

I'm not greatest player - Roger Federer

"I don't feel better than anyone, because we need past champions to pave the way for our generation and we have become very professional," he said.

"They have led the way and inspired myself and other players to chase the big records out there.

"Back in the day they weren't doing that, they were just playing to play tennis. Things have changed dramatically with the press reminding us 'you should do this and win that and you'll be considered the greatest of all time'.

"And anyway I don't think you can compare different eras in tennis."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/18764325

:cool::oops:

Prisoner of Birth 09-02-2012 02:54 AM

Roger Federer is a big, fat liar.

Homeboy Hotel 09-02-2012 02:56 AM

Jeez, talk about saying the right things for the cameras.

Forced humbleness in the form of reverse psychology to reinforce the notion that he is the greatest ever. Nice work.

tennissportsrog 09-02-2012 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisoner of Birth (Post 6856550)
Roger Federer is a big, fat liar.

maybe, and Nadal's

Nadal believes previous tennis eras cannot match the excitement generated by the current stars of the sport.

"Pete Sampras versus Goran Ivanisevic match, or one between those kind of players, is not enjoyable,"

"It's not really tennis, it is a few swings of the racquet. It was less eye-catching than what we do now. Everyone enjoys the tennis we play much more. I am not saying we are playing better tennis, just more enjoyable tennis. For me, in the past it was just serve, serve, serve."

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...-Day-Five.aspx

tennissportsrog 09-02-2012 03:02 AM

clay excluded. successive win 0.  If grass and a hard are fast. Like Sampras era. Nadal is able to win only with clay.

smug arrogant..

Sid_Vicious 09-02-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeboy Hotel (Post 6856553)

Forced humbleness in the form of reverse psychology to reinforce the notion that he is the greatest ever. Nice work.

Federer just can't win this. Federer might as well just say "I'm the GOAT so you can suck it". There is no point in being nice for Federer or any top players because cynical morons like you will always come up with a way to demonize the action.

If you are a top tennis pro, the following applies:

Charity work= PR stuff. Also, you are a greedy bstard and trying to get a little tax break.

Say something nice about your rivals= Being a shameless phony in front of the camera.

Take a bathroom break= cheating bstard.

OddJack 09-02-2012 03:27 AM

Just another reason that he is.

tennissportsrog 09-02-2012 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeboy Hotel (Post 6856553)

Q. Both McEnroe and Agassi said in the World Team Tennis match this July that tennis right now at the top, menís tennis is the toughest ever. Do you think you four guys are the toughest maybe in history in terms of competing against each other and winning events?

ROGER FEDERER: Iíd say no, but I donít know. Just because you look back maybe 15 years, then you have Sampras, Edberg, Becker, and Agassi, I donít know who else. Those guys werenít good or what? Do you know what I mean?

You look back, further back, 20 years, and you have the Connors and the Lendls. Those werenít good either? I mean, I donít know. So for me I think thatís respectful. Itís just different times and definitely more athletic, thereís no doubt about that. But then again we donít play doubles. We donít play mixed. Maybe we play less matches today because itís more taxing, but we do play less best‑of‑five set tennis than they used to play. You canít compare really.

but we have somewhat of a golden era right now. I feel that truly. Itís nice to see Andy making his move at the Olympics, nice to see Novak having an absolutely ridiculous year last year, and then Rafa and myself still being around. Itís definitely good times. Past that you still have great champions as well. Itís very interesting at the top right now, and the depth I think has never been greater than right now. Thereís no doubt about that.

But then best ever? The four of us? Thatís a really difficult call.

http://richtweets.com/2sloc

He has respect too much.

ricki 09-02-2012 03:32 AM

He is no way greatest - simply because of clay impotence

RF-17-GOAT 09-02-2012 03:41 AM

It's not the proper term. He's the G.O.A.T.

Prisoner of Birth 09-02-2012 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricki (Post 6856576)
He is no way greatest - simply because of clay impotence

Right, because he's the only French Open winner in the Nadal era.

Sentinel 09-02-2012 04:13 AM

Humblest and greatest ever eva :D

helloworld 09-02-2012 04:15 AM

Federer is stating the truth. He knows that players from the previous eras were also great just as he is. It would be pathetic and shameful if he just dissed the former greats and say he is the GOAT(pointing finger to Nadal).

Chillaxer 09-02-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennissportsrog (Post 6856561)
clay excluded. successive win 0.  If grass and a hard are fast. Like Sampras era. Nadal is able to win only with clay.

smug arrogant..

Are you that guy who posts that message over and over on youtube? I hope not...

Chillaxer 09-02-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helloworld (Post 6856605)
Federer is stating the truth. He knows that players from the previous eras were also great just as he is. It would be pathetic and shameful if he just dissed the former greats and say he is the GOAT(pointing finger to Nadal).

Err, he hasn;t said that, he's said Roger is better, he been bombarded with it by the likes of Mcenroe who then said he was too modest. The guy can't do anythign right for some people.

helloworld 09-02-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillaxer (Post 6856813)
Err, he hasn;t said that, he's said Roger is better, he been bombarded with it by the likes of Mcenroe who then said he was too modest. The guy can't do anythign right for some people.

"Pete Sampras versus Goran Ivanisevic match, or one between those kind of players, is not enjoyable," - Quoted from Nadal.

"It's not really tennis, it is a few swings of the racquet. It was less eye-catching than what we do now. Everyone enjoys the tennis we play much more. I am not saying we are playing better tennis, just more enjoyable tennis. For me, in the past it was just serve, serve, serve." - Quoted from Nadal.

Chillaxer 09-02-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helloworld (Post 6856847)
"Pete Sampras versus Goran Ivanisevic match, or one between those kind of players, is not enjoyable," - Quoted from Nadal.

"It's not really tennis, it is a few swings of the racquet. It was less eye-catching than what we do now. Everyone enjoys the tennis we play much more. I am not saying we are playing better tennis, just more enjoyable tennis. For me, in the past it was just serve, serve, serve." - Quoted from Nadal.

I said he hasn't said he is GOAT, or anywhere near it, so why state that like a fact?

NadalDramaQueen 09-02-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillaxer (Post 6856864)
I said he hasn't said he is GOAT, or anywhere near it, so why state that like a fact?

helloworld is just a current era hater. I thought Nadal was a bit disrespectful with the above quote, but in general, I don't think he is an arrogant jerk.

The media forces the players to answer questions that have no good answer, and then there is a huge backlash on these forums about it.

It has nothing to do with what was said, only which player said it.

90's Clay 09-02-2012 07:41 AM

Nice to see Fed has some more common sense then some of his fanatical fan base. There is no hands down GOAT in this sport. Too difficult to compare all the eras objectively and come up with a for sure answer

TMF 09-02-2012 08:56 AM

Even if Fed win 30 slams, he would never say he's the greatest. Graf or Jordan never self-proclaimed that they are the best. I remember Jerry Rice was always bombarded with the same question after he broke/set a ton of NFL records, and never say he's greatest of all time.