Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Vcore 89 - The New Standard Bearer (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=438584)

Vcore89 09-03-2012 11:33 PM

Vcore 89 - Standard Bearer

3 weeks ago I switch from BLX PST 90 (before that was KPS 88, before that...) to Vcore 89! I haven't found the perfect racquet yet, but this is as far as I am concerned the second best--the best of course is still out there.

It is essentially a pocket rocket!

treblings 09-04-2012 02:47 AM

which kind of playing style would you say itīs suited for best?

Korso 09-04-2012 04:27 AM

I agree, this racket can do it all if you like smaller head sizes.

parasailing 09-05-2012 08:54 PM

I demoed this racquet a while back and it is a very solid racquet. It does remind me of the Pro Staff line. Unfortunately for me, it felt a tad stiffer than I am use to.

XFactorer 09-05-2012 10:25 PM

I got to my first finals w/ this racquet. It must be good.

Vcore89 09-06-2012 12:00 AM

Vcore Tour 89 felt very close to the touch and feel of PS 85. Very near! While I love my BLX PST 90 for the serve (and K88 before that and...), For me, Vcore 89 has the total package.

I like to construct my points most of the time so this slightly lower-powered serving stick (comparatively speaking) just serves me right. But on times when I play serve and volley, wow, my volleys are noticeably better than when I am wielding the BLX PST 90, K88, K90, etc.

Plus, I didn't shank any balls up to this point anyways (for almost a month now) with Vcore 89 simply because the sweetspot is literally much more bigger than the ping-pong ball size sweet spots of the aforementioned racquets.

Mine are strung with a full bed of Axon Mono and Turbo Twist @ 60 lbs. Will also be stringing (2 racquets) with Alu Power since I've grown accustomed to it for a few years now. I will string a fifth racquet with Bi-Phase since I miss the feeling of synthetic gut--just a bit.:)

Roforot 09-06-2012 07:33 AM

I saw you also posted in the Angell thread and that you have a few Vantage frames. What do you like about the vcore compared to Vantage other than it's has a new racquet on the block excitement? I'd imagine a "customized" frame should meet your needs better? Or has your style/preferences changed?

Vcore89 09-06-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roforot (Post 6871353)
I saw you also posted in the Angell thread and that you have a few Vantage frames. What do you like about the vcore compared to Vantage other than it's has a new racquet on the block excitement? I'd imagine a "customized" frame should meet your needs better? Or has your style/preferences changed?

I've always loved Yonex frames in particular RDX500 mid (of them all; over MP1 Tour), I am a tennis fan more than a racquet fan but I do try some other frames such as Wilson, Head, Prince and Babolat just like most every tennis fan would.

Now, Vantage's pricing is very competitive so I thought I'd try them (who wouldn't?). Easily, one can order a customized racquet in the range of $400+ (from other companies as well).

brian14190 09-06-2012 01:30 PM

How does the 89 compare to the RDS001 Mid? They seem to have very similar specs.

Vcore89 09-06-2012 07:48 PM

Comparing my RDS001 mid to Vcore 89 strung with full poly...it's a lot stiffer. I like Vcore a lot for volleys and half volleys. Mainly due to the 16 x 18 versus 16 x 20 string plane imo.

markiev37 09-07-2012 01:17 AM

I just switched to this racquet a week ago(played three matches) from the aerostorm tour cortex. This racquet is far superior in everyway. it may be a little stiffer than the babolat but my shoulder has adjusted. It's such a solid frame.....btw, I will restring this weekend and it looks like I need to start at the head for the mains and not at the throat...looked on yonex website but could not find info

treblings 09-07-2012 02:59 AM

how would any of you vcore89 users compare the racket to the prestige mid line? does it play similar?
maybe i can give the answer myself, since with a bit of luck i can demo the vcore89 tomorrow:)

Vcore89 09-07-2012 08:59 AM

Personally, I'll rate it Vcore89, BLX PST 90 and IG Prestige Mid.

stronzzi70 09-07-2012 10:39 AM

I had couples RD TI 50 standart, really nice sticks........I would like to know if the V core 89 tour is close in the stiff departament.

TonyB 09-08-2012 04:56 AM

How does the 335 swingweight feel? That's K-Factor 90 territory, and most people claim they can't wield that racquet for 3 sets because of the high swingweight.

With the Yonex Tour 89 at 343 grams and 335 swingweight, that seems to make for a fairly light but heavy swinging frame. An odd combination.

I usually prefer the reverse: 360 grams and 325-330 swingweight.

Can anyone comment on this?

Vcore89 09-09-2012 08:31 AM

Yesterday I added 3 grams at 12 o'clock under the grommets and voila it is a bit more powerful on serves comparing to BLX PST 90. But of course it altered the swing weight.

Anyways, nowadays I don't try to tweak any of my racquets but just so that I know thus I tried adding 3 grams of lead. This tweaked racquet will be in my bag just in case but will be using my regular Vcore 89s which is in itself adequate.

nkjwlf 09-09-2012 11:38 AM

First hit

Just hit with my with V Core 89 today. It has a leather grip and overgrip strung with Luxilon 4g at 55lbs. The racquet is a best on serves. Pinpoint accuracy and bombs on flat serves. Volleys were as good as can be expected with poly strings. My forhands were sailing a little long compared to my Yonex RD 7's that were weighed up to 13.5 ounces strung with Tourna Big Hitter Silver. I switched from my normal semi-western forehand to my old full Western forehand that I used to hit with when I had Prince Original Graphite mids. Unbelievable difference. The spin and power was back. I swore to myself to never go back to the full western grip but the V Core 89 made every shot feel so effortlessly. It brought me back 15 years wnating me to hit Western and use the same grip fore my 1HBH. Yes I use the same grip for backhand and forehands. The spin and power was there and I flet like I could place the ball anywhere on the court. I don't know if it was the racquet, the 4G strings, or a combo of both. I had no shoulder or wrist pain and just felt connected to the racquet. Two big thumbs up to the V Core 89. It did feel a lil bit light when returning serves though. I put 7 inch strips of lead tape running from 1 o'clock to almost 4 o'clock. The racquet felt a little dead at the top of the hoop. I haven't weighed it yet, but im guessing its back to stck balance since I put a leather grip on it. Any thoughts on my observations?

Vcore89 09-09-2012 07:30 PM

Slowly but surely I see there will be lots of dedicated followers of Vcore 89 because it delivers in nearly all fronts (stock). Anyways, every time I hit the courts, I am just loving the volleys more and more. Bravo!

Vcore89 12-09-2012 11:59 PM

3 months later, it is still my goto racquet. Definitely the best at net thus far.

roundiesee 12-10-2012 02:41 AM

Horses for courses I suppose; I have tried it albeit only for a short period, and did not like it at all because of the "stiffness"; perhaps it was the strings that came with that particular Tour89, but I was expecting more after all the positive reviews, :(