Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   2012 College Football (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=438632)

BigServer1 09-04-2012 09:30 AM

2012 College Football

Haven't seen a thread on this yet for this season, but this past weekend was so great having college football back...

Kevin T, soizgood, countless others...Let's get this party started!

Kevin, how bad were you freaking last night?

r2473 09-04-2012 09:38 AM

Iowa's 18-17 victory over Northern Illinois proves that they are "the real #1".

merlebo02 09-04-2012 09:44 AM

I'm looking forward to my Mississippi state bulldogs play this year! Big game this Saturday against auburn.

ChipNCharge 09-04-2012 10:47 AM

#4 Oklahoma looked really good against UTEP.

stringertom 09-04-2012 11:17 AM

#6 Florida State romped as expected 69-3 vs Murray State. There were good and bad results on the D-line...Bjorn Werner, a junior DE with only two years of HS football under his belt, continues his development and was voted the Lott IMPACT (named for Ronnie Lott) Player of the Week; however, Brandon Jenkins has been lost for the season with a Lesfranc fracture in his foot.

FSU's schedule is good...only one game outside the state of Florida before a big showdown with Va. Tech in November in Blacksburg. This could be two top-5's going at each other! Go Noles!

Power Player 09-04-2012 12:31 PM

Agree Tom. The Oline looks a lot better than last year. In fact the entire team looked great. I am a little nervous about EJ still, but he should have a lot more time this year to make reads so I think he will be great.

Really sucks about Jenkins. That is a huge loss. Werner is a total stud, but Jenkins helped him out by drawing double teams over and over. The good news is that Werner will now draw those double teams, and hopefully Tank can step up and get his.

We will miss Jenkins against Clemson..we really need a solid end rush and pressure in that game.

Dedans Penthouse 09-04-2012 04:59 PM

rammer jammer

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlebo02 (Post 6863705)
I'm looking forward to my Mississippi state bulldogs play this year! Big game this Saturday against auburn.

^^^
FYI-there's a poster here ("Rabbit") who's an MSU alum and big Bulldog supporter (he usually posts in the Strings & Racquets section). Me? ... I like watching MSU but listening to those damn clanging cowbells non-stop are enough to drive you nuts.

on-topic: Thus far (just like the end of last year), it looks like there's Alabama and then there's everybody else. Amazing that they can lose high NFL draft picks from last year's championship squad such as Richardson (RB), Hightower & Courtney (LBs), Barron (S), then re-load and come back at you this year with a bulldozer OL, a slew of talented RB's (that frosh Yeldon looks great, along with Lacy et al) and a hard-hitting D. Saban is one hell of a recruiter and imho 'Bama's clearly the preeminent program in college football.

Rabbit 09-05-2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedans Penthouse (Post 6865183)
^^^
FYI-there's a poster here ("Rabbit") who's an MSU alum and big Bulldog supporter (he usually posts in the Strings & Racquets section). Me? ... I like watching MSU but listening to those damn clanging cowbells non-stop are like the sound of angels playing harps in heaven.

on-topic: Thus far (just like the end of last year), it looks like there's Alabama and then there's everybody else. Amazing that they can lose high NFL draft picks from last year's championship squad such as Richardson (RB), Hightower & Courtney (LBs), Barron (S), then re-load and come back at you this year with a bulldozer OL, a slew of talented RB's (that frosh Yeldon looks great, along with Lacy et al) and a hard-hitting D. Saban is one hell of a recruiter and imho 'Bama's clearly the preeminent program in college football.

I fixed your post for you ;)

You're spot on about Alabama. State is a good football team with the unfortunate situation of playing in a conference division that spots 3 - 4 top ten teams at any one time. It is frustrating.

stringertom 09-05-2012 04:09 AM

Ditto the cowbells reference...my head is still ringing from them when MSU visited Tallahassee and smoked FSU during our worst season ever (0-11). That was 39 years ago!

mikeler 09-05-2012 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 6864205)
Agree Tom. The Oline looks a lot better than last year. In fact the entire team looked great. I am a little nervous about EJ still, but he should have a lot more time this year to make reads so I think he will be great.

Really sucks about Jenkins. That is a huge loss. Werner is a total stud, but Jenkins helped him out by drawing double teams over and over. The good news is that Werner will now draw those double teams, and hopefully Tank can step up and get his.

We will miss Jenkins against Clemson..we really need a solid end rush and pressure in that game.

I think Clemson is a worse matchup for FSU then VT.

stringertom 09-05-2012 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6866149)
I think Clemson is a worse matchup for FSU then VT.

At least it's at the Doak. Bad weather in November at Blacksburg levels the playing field for the Hokies.

Kevin T 09-05-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigServer1 (Post 6863646)
Haven't seen a thread on this yet for this season, but this past weekend was so great having college football back...

Kevin T, soizgood, countless others...Let's get this party started!

Kevin, how bad were you freaking last night?

Thanks for starting the thread, Big. I was pooping rocks (per Rubie Sue on 'Christmas Vacation') late in the game. Glad the convict could 'bail' us out and put the game into OT. I was fully expecting another 'chokie' moment. I rant about it year after year but still can't figure out why Beamer can't open up the offense and/or recruit the athletes for a pro style offense. They get practically every good player in VA and snag a lot from Maryland, NC, TN, PN, OH but refuse to run a high output offense. The D has always been there, so why not open things up? I agree with Mik that Clemson should be a tougher out for FSU (and vice versa), though you never know.

Bama looks nasty. When you lose 7 D starters (and 6 are playing in the NFL right now-unreal), your D shouldn't be as good as Bama's. :) I share Rabbit's pain RE playing in the SEC...watched my Cats kick off another cellar dwellar season by dropping a pile against Lville on Sunday. Have fun this year, Joker...might be your last.

I'm hoping Oregon or USC gets through the season undefeated, as I really want to see another Pac 12/SEC title game.

volleygirl 09-05-2012 08:14 AM

Could the Big 10 have had much worse of an opening weekend? Only Mich State showed up and they almost lost at home to a Boise team that is nowhere near as strong as its been for the last 4 or 5 years

Kevin T 09-05-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volleygirl (Post 6866581)
Could the Big 10 have had much worse of an opening weekend? Only Mich State showed up and they almost lost at home to a Boise team that is nowhere near as strong as its been for the last 4 or 5 years

Hey now, Wisconsin beat Northern Iowa by 5 and r2 already mentioned that big Iowa victory. And Ohio U is a great team. :) I actually went to Ohio U for Hallowen one year during college...it exceeded the hype.

Michigan looked terrible. It's funny how ESPN was hyping Michigan's offense. I can't tell you how many times I heard "I'll be interested to see how Bama handles Michigan's offensive attack"...whah whah. They handled it like a hammer handles a nail.

Outside of my Chokies, the best game was Vandy/USC. Vandy could've, maybe even should've, taken that one.

topsltennis 09-05-2012 03:05 PM

Long time Bama fan here. It's amazing what Saban has done in a few years. As good as they are, I don't think they will repeat this year, in fact I see perhaps two losses. Road schedule is brutal.

volleygirl 09-05-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin T (Post 6866633)
Hey now, Wisconsin beat Northern Iowa by 5 and r2 already mentioned that big Iowa victory. And Ohio U is a great team. :) I actually went to Ohio U for Hallowen one year during college...it exceeded the hype.

Michigan looked terrible. It's funny how ESPN was hyping Michigan's offense. I can't tell you how many times I heard "I'll be interested to see how Bama handles Michigan's offensive attack"...whah whah. They handled it like a hammer handles a nail.

Outside of my Chokies, the best game was Vandy/USC. Vandy could've, maybe even should've, taken that one.

I live in Nashville and was at that Vandy game. I have never seen a team find a way to lose games they could win more than they always do. They have done it for years.

Kevin T 09-05-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volleygirl (Post 6868282)
I live in Nashville and was at that Vandy game. I have never seen a team find a way to lose games they could win more than they always do. They have done it for years.

May I direct you to a certain team in the beautiful mountains of SW Virginia. A team that has earned the nickname 'Chokies' with good reason. :)

Dedans Penthouse 09-05-2012 07:40 PM

The hypocrisy that is the NCAA: the Okla. St. - Savanah State disgrace

Rant alert:

And a big fat "middle finger" to the NCAA for sanctioning these Okla. State - Savanah State 84-0 type of "big boys vs. little school" dangerous mismatches.

Additionally, I'd like to send out a big F.U. to both money-grabbing Savanah St. and Oklahoma State (84-0?!!) for agreeing to this game in the first place and putting throughly outclassed SSU kids in a position to get seriously hurt. I don't want to hear the "generate revenue" for the other non-revenue-generating sports argument; those schools put those kids at risk for money (SSU) and a low-risk scrimmage (OSU). Phuckin' pigs, both schools.

This isn't tennis. In tennis, a physical mismatch means a bagel. In football, it can mean your ***.

stringertom 09-05-2012 09:16 PM

Round 2 of the SSU roadfest: this week in Tallahassee vs. FSU. At least the trip home is much shorter.

mikeler 09-06-2012 05:05 AM

The Gators looked awful last Saturday. I see a Weed Eater Bowl in their future.