Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   FYB's Singles Playbook (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=438655)

safc_number10 09-04-2012 01:23 PM

FYB's Singles Playbook

Did anyone purchase this course from the Fuzzy Yellow Balls team?

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts on it was and whether or not they found it useful.

I can purchase it for $100 and even though I can get my money back I'm still unsure if it will be worth that price.

axel89 09-04-2012 02:33 PM

FYB is the best tennis site do it!

spot 09-04-2012 08:15 PM

I honestly can't fathom what recreational singles advice would be worth $100.

Tournament Player 09-04-2012 09:44 PM

FYB is idiotic, they have no idea what they are taking about, it is complete BS

VeeSe 09-04-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spot (Post 6865512)
I honestly can't fathom what recreational singles advice would be worth $100.

Well, people take lessons for ~$50/hr, so.... this is equivalent to paying for two lessons. It's not too outrageous.

spot 09-05-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeSe (Post 6865673)
Well, people take lessons for ~$50/hr, so.... this is equivalent to paying for two lessons. It's not too outrageous.

I think it is completely outrageous. Taking a lesson gets you 1 on 1 advice tailored particularly to your game. You simply can't replicate that otherwise- the closest would be videotaping your strokes and then asking for advice for how to improve but that is a poor substitute for being able to get immediate feedback.

Spending $100 on singles strategy is absolutely nuts. I just don't understand what they could be saying that you couldn't get from any number of books from amazon or whatever free advice is already available on the internet. Singles strategy is so dependent on your opponent that I simply cannot fathom what advice would be worth paying $100 for at the rec level.

Cindysphinx 09-05-2012 05:33 AM

Go crosscourt until you get something short, then go DTL.

Exploit your opponent's weaknesses.

Come to net when you hurt your opponent.

++++++++++

I accept Visa, MC and American Express.

Govnor 09-05-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 6866122)

++++++++++

Do you have a paypal?

Maui19 09-05-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

++++++++++

I thought you said you were terrible at singles. I want a discount!

goober 09-05-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maui19 (Post 6866282)
I thought you said you were terrible at singles. I want a discount!

Well you know they say those that can't do TEACH! She doesn't have to be able to do it herself. She just has to tell you what you should be doing:)

sundaypunch 09-05-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spot (Post 6866064)
Spending $100 on singles strategy is absolutely nuts. I just don't understand what they could be saying that you couldn't get from any number of books from amazon or whatever free advice is already available on the internet. Singles strategy is so depending on your opponent that I simply cannot fathom what advice would be worth paying $100 for at the rec level.

So you have no idea what is on the tape yet you are willing to rip the guy? Nice. Pardon him for trying to make a living with tennis.

spot 09-05-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundaypunch (Post 6866304)
So you have no idea what is on the tape yet you are willing to rip the guy? Nice. Pardon him for trying to make a living with tennis.

If someone paid $100 for a little hologram you wear on their wrist to increase power or magic beans then I would think they were getting ripped off as well. Some people just throw their money away.

As I said I cannot fathom what rec player singles advice would be worth $100. I think it would be absolutely nuts to pay. And yes I would laugh hard at any of my friends who paid that.

If we aren't talking about rec tennis and instead this is is a pro or even a guy trying to get a college scholarship then its a different story. But even then I still think that $100 would be better spent elsewhere since it would be generic advice not at all tailored to the person paying the money.

sundaypunch 09-05-2012 09:13 AM

Occasionally I forget the demographic on this site. It doesn't take long to be reminded.

goober 09-05-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundaypunch (Post 6866576)
Occasionally I forget the demographic on this site. It doesn't take long to be reminded.

Yah the demographic that got suckered into giving their email to FYB for some free material and now receiving endless spam from them and those affiliated with them constantly trying to sell something.- Your last chance to learn footwork of the pros $50! Secrets to a massive kick serve $100! Inside information of the Bryan bros doubles strategy $400!

OrangePower 09-05-2012 09:37 AM

Eh, people spend money on all sorts of irrational things - eg many will gladly pay $30-40 for a tennis shirt that has 'adidas' or 'nike' on it, vs $10-15 for the same thing sans logos at target.

Anyway, best tip for singles: get fit, and when you're on the court, focus on your footwork and don't get lazy. Most other things follow from that.

sundaypunch 09-05-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 6866607)
Yah the demographic that got suckered into giving their email to FYB for some free material and now receiving endless spam from them and those affiliated with them constantly trying to sell something.- Your last chance to learn footwork of the pros $50! Secrets to a massive kick serve $100! Inside information of the Bryan bros doubles strategy $400!

You know, you could just click the "unsubscribe" button, lol.

Nostradamus 09-05-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

++++++++++

Isn't going crosscourt low percentage ?

spot 09-05-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundaypunch (Post 6866669)

The OP wanted to know what people's thoughts were on spending $100 on recreational singles tennis advice. Why should I not say that I think it would be ridiculous to spend $100 on that? There are people who get suckered into buying powerbands, phiten necklaces, and all sorts of other ridiculous things.

safc_number10 09-05-2012 10:29 AM

Interesting thoughts everyone. I'm a little surprised that nobody has tried any paid for material out.

I receive regular on court coaching (20/25 per session) but I sometime find that online tennis videos have reinforced or reminded me of things that I have been shown previously. Probably give this course a miss.

goober 09-05-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundaypunch (Post 6866669)

I eventually had to, but if they just sent me occasional notices instead of numerous final and "last chance" reminders I would have kept them on the email list just to see what they were putting out.