Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Gamma Progression II 602 FC or Alpha Pioneer DC Plus (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=438697)

Casco 09-04-2012 05:23 PM

Gamma Progression II 602 FC or Alpha Pioneer DC Plus

Please help me decide if you have experience with these machines.

Gamma Progression II 602 FC vs Alpha Pioneer DC Plus.

I'm used to the Gamma rachet and tensioner and rotational gripper. Concerned about the Gamma composite looking clamp tops. Like the Gamma service. Heard good things about Alpha but less familiar with them, and not sure I'd like the linear gripper.

Bottom line for me is if Gamma 602FC clamps are good as the Alpha DC Plus, then Gamma makes sense for me - I don't mind the rotational gripper.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

rich s 09-04-2012 06:37 PM

The Gamma clamps are a non-issue..... I had a 602FC for about 5 years before upgrading to the 6004..... never an issue.

The clamps are a reinforced polymer with "diamond dusted" gripper plates embedded in the clamp jaws.

They hold firm and consistently and never any problems with the plates coming loose or falling out.....

well worth the money IMO.....

Ramon 09-04-2012 07:15 PM

I happen to have the Alpha Pioneer DC Plus. I'm happy with it except for the creep problem. That's when the towers move a little while you are stringing the mains. I had to make my own creative modifications to address the problem, which I discussed in a previous post. Another issue that might be important if you string racquetball racquets is that the posts for the top and bottom parts of the head only go to 15" apart maximum distance. Many racquetball racquets are longer than that. I don't know if those same problems are associated with the Gamma or not.

I think the biggest advantage of the Alpha is the linear gripper. It works quite well and makes the job easier and faster. You basically just slide the string into the gripper and it tightens by itself once tension is applied. For me, that was the best reason to go with the Alpha, but for you it doesn't seem to be important, so maybe the Gamma is a better match for your needs.

ewberner 09-04-2012 07:39 PM

The Pioneer DC Plus, IMO, is a better machine than the Gamma. It is the exact same machine as the Revo 4000, but has the drop weight instead of the crank. Having owned both a Gamma and now an Alpha machine, I can say that the customer support through Alpha is some of the best in the business. Gamma was good, but nothing compared to Alpha. I have a friend who owns a Revo 4000 and is able to string all racquetball racquets so doing them on the Pioneer DC Plus shouldn't be a problem.

Ramon 09-04-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewberner (Post 6865549)
I have a friend who owns a Revo 4000 and is able to string all racquetball racquets so doing them on the Pioneer DC Plus shouldn't be a problem.

Try stringing an E-Force Racquetball racquet with the APDC+. Then tell us how it goes.

ewberner 09-05-2012 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6865566)
Try stringing an E-Force Racquetball racquet with the APDC+. Then tell us how it goes.

You are more than welcome to send it to me and I'll give it a go :twisted:

But really, my friend was shown a way by someone at alpha to mount those racquetball frames on the Revo 4000 so it has to be possible to do the same thing with the APDC+ because it is the same mounting system and turntable.

Ramon 09-05-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewberner (Post 6866193)
You are more than welcome to send it to me and I'll give it a go :twisted:

But really, my friend was shown a way by someone at alpha to mount those racquetball frames on the Revo 4000 so it has to be possible to do the same thing with the APDC+ because it is the same mounting system and turntable.

I strung up a Pro Kennex Racquetball racquet that was slightly too long for the mounts. I did that by taking 2 hex nuts and using them to fill space between the posts and the head.

I suppose similar creative solutions like that can be done. Is it ideal? Absolutely, not!! What's even worse is if someone goes ahead and does the string job with loose mounts and strings it anyway, disregarding the warping that could take place. I've been around long enough that I wouldn't put that beyond anyone to do that.

Is it possible that Alpha has a better solution to that? Maybe, but having to buy an additional accessory is not ideal either. At minimum, this problem is a pain in the rear.

ewberner 09-05-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6866383)
I strung up a Pro Kennex Racquetball racquet that was slightly too long for the mounts. I did that by taking 2 hex nuts and using them to fill space between the posts and the head.

I suppose similar creative solutions like that can be done. Is it ideal? Absolutely, not!! What's even worse is if someone goes ahead and does the string job with loose mounts and strings it anyway, disregarding the warping that could take place. I've been around long enough that I wouldn't put that beyond anyone to do that.

Is it possible that Alpha has a better solution to that? Maybe, but having to buy an additional accessory is not ideal either. At minimum, this problem is a pain in the rear.

I completely agree. I was just saying that it is possible. And I have not been shown how he mounts the longer frames, but he does, and it works without any warping.

Casco 09-09-2012 05:13 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. I'm sure they are both excellent machines with great service, but in the end, I went with the Gamma 602FC, and I upgraded to the top-of-the-line Gamma clamps (for just the price difference between the two types of clamps). The machine is beautiful! The Gamma customer service is wonderful!

colin_zp 11-08-2012 03:05 PM

Hello, would you let me know who at Gamma you talked to? I am trying to do the same, buying 602FC with upgraded clamps, but they won't let me. I am leaning with alpha now since I can do upgrade on the clamp.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casco (Post 6881152)
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. I'm sure they are both excellent machines with great service, but in the end, I went with the Gamma 602FC, and I upgraded to the top-of-the-line Gamma clamps (for just the price difference between the two types of clamps). The machine is beautiful! The Gamma customer service is wonderful!

Lakers4Life 11-08-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin_zp (Post 7003321)
Hello, would you let me know who at Gamma you talked to? I am trying to do the same, buying 602FC with upgraded clamps, but they won't let me. I am leaning with alpha now since I can do upgrade on the clamp.

Thanks!

You want to talk to Brett if you call or GammaTech from here. GT is usually lurking around ;), waiting to answer Gamma related question.

colin_zp 11-08-2012 05:18 PM

Thanks! I exchanged a couple emails with John, who gave me great info but couldn't do upgrade. I thought if they can sell on Sep, they should be able to sell now. I will try to get in touch with Brett.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7003330)
You want to talk to Brett if you call or GammaTech from here. GT is usually lurking around ;), waiting to answer Gamma related question.

Lakers4Life 11-08-2012 06:11 PM

What I usually do when I call. I'll ask for Brett, and if they ask why, I say I want to buy a part for my machine, that is not on the website. Though it's been a while since I've called Brett, John may be Brett's replacement.

colin_zp 11-12-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7003551)
What I usually do when I call. I'll ask for Brett, and if they ask why, I say I want to buy a part for my machine, that is not on the website. Though it's been a while since I've called Brett, John may be Brett's replacement.

Brett seems not work there anymore. I just went with pioneer dc plus, and Mark at alpha allows customization of individual orders. Smooth experience.

Lakers4Life 11-12-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6866383)

There is a billard spacer that you need. I was able to get on from Silent Partner, someone from GSS mentioned it would fit my Sensor, instead of buying one from Babolat.

E-Force rackets are a PITA without the Richter tubes. I pray for some of my client to break thier rackets so I don't have to string them again.

SwankPeRFection 11-12-2012 08:11 PM

I have a DC Plus and love it. I fixed the tower creep with larger washers that engage the entire bottom of the rails under the table and also by using some channel locks wrapped in neoprene to tighten the screws down a bit more. I will soon be changing to some hex key screws which will solve the issue entirely, but since I don't have to change my tower positions too much because I string 90's and 93's mostly, I'm fine right now. The problem with the creep is that you just can't get enough torque on the hand knobs of those tower screws to tighten them enough.

However, the linear gripper, the all steel table and rails are a bit plus. Gamma uses aluminum for their table and if you look closely, the grippers actually twist the table rails when you lock them in place and release tension on a string. There was a video posted a while back that showed this. While it was stated that it's not that big a deal, the solid look and feel of my Alpha just makes me feel better. The linear gripper also allows for less string to be used when you string since you don't have to wrap around the gripper 50 billion times to get it to hold. I string my 90 with just 33 feet of string and start the short side with 9 feet. Try that with a Gamma and let me know how it goes. Also, when it comes time to upgrade to a Wise head, the mounting will be nice and clean looking, not rigged like it can look on a Gamma base... another "Plus". Yes, pun intended. ;)