Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   poly/poly hybrids: next step (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=438781)

dadozen 09-05-2012 10:55 AM

poly/poly hybrids: next step

As you may know, I'm a big fan of poly/poly hybrids. I started mixing them after reading this article of TWU, where they noticed that polyester is usually the slipperiest cross string, and that strings tend to be slipperier in combination with other strings than with themselves( of course, it says about differente materials, but I've found out that it also works with poly/poly hybrids ).

In my YT Prestige MPs, I used to play with PLII 1.15 x Focus Hex 1.10, around 41/39 lbs. Yes, the round string on mains and the shaped string on crosses. I did that because PLII gave me the best feel, and Focus Hex tamed a bit of the power of the PLII, especially when it started losing tension. Poly/poly hyrbids are great for this: you can mix the best points of 2 different strings, although sometimes it doesn't work as you expected. And from all the poly/poly hybrids I've tested so far, it seems that the best combination is a round string + a shaped( not twisted ) string. I have also noticed that a thinner string on crosses works better, because it seems to make the stringbed more uniform, giving a more predictable response while playing. It also makes the stringbed a bit firmer, and I assume that's because tensioning thinner crosses is easier so the difference in tension between the mains and crosses is smaller.

Now in my IG Prestiges( customized to the specs listed in the sig ), I found out that shaped strings( pentagonal/hezagonal ) work better on mains. Yonex Poly Tour Spin was my first try, but now my current go to string for the mains is B5E( I'm also planning to try Tour Bite and BHB7 ).

I was using Focus Hex as the cross string, and although the performance was very good, the combination B5E x Focus Hex started hurting my arm a bit. So I started trying other crosses: my first try was Firestorm 1.20( I have a reel of it ), and although it added a lot of comfort to the stringbed, it also lost the initial characteristcs very soon, adding too much power. It also wasn't as slippery as I thought.

So, my next try is B5E x Yonex PTGP. PTGP is very slippery, and has an oily coating, so my expectations are high. I hope it adds comfort to the stringbed while keeping the control, and letting the mains slide freely over it.

I have a 1h hitting session tonight and I'll hit exclusively with the racquet strung this way. I'll update you guys later about this stringjob.

JT_2eighty 09-05-2012 11:34 AM

Currently using Typhoon 1.25 mains / WC Mosquito Bite 1.16 crosses. Awesome combo with good longevity. Helps add power and spin to a dense 18x20 MP. Probably not a good fit for open patterned, power racquets; but I'm really enjoying it in the flexy PT280.

blipblop 09-06-2012 08:44 AM

Yes! More poly/poly hybrid users. Should we start one of those lame "club" threads?

I have been using Lux ALU Rough mains with SPPP/Red Code crosses, but I change it up a lot. I have Yonex Poly Tour Pro and Pacific xCite on the way to try next.

Keep us updated dadozen.

dadozen 09-06-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT_2eighty (Post 6867116)
Currently using Typhoon 1.25 mains / WC Mosquito Bite 1.16 crosses. Awesome combo with good longevity. Helps add power and spin to a dense 18x20 MP. Probably not a good fit for open patterned, power racquets; but I'm really enjoying it in the flexy PT280.

JT, long time no see! Since the time we were in the gut/poly thread. Mosquito seems like a great option as well, I'll plan to try that as well. The problem is that I liked Yonex PTGP a lot!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by blipblop (Post 6871499)
Yes! More poly/poly hybrid users. Should we start one of those lame "club" threads?

I have been using Lux ALU Rough mains with SPPP/Red Code crosses, but I change it up a lot. I have Yonex Poly Tour Pro and Pacific xCite on the way to try next.

Keep us updated dadozen.

It's indeed hard to see guys around here that are fans of poly/poly hybrids. I'm guessing the club would be only the 3 of us and one or another lost soul... :lol:

Yesterday played for 1h on a hard court( I play almost exlusively on clay courts ). after some 15 min to get the correct timing, I really( and I mean REALLY ) liked this combo. It shined in every little area I wanted it to perform: I sill have plenty of spin and control from B5E, and PTGP added a tad more comfort to the stringbed, without making me suffer to keep the ball in. It's not the best stringbed in feel, but I can live up with that. PTGP on crosses also let the B5E on mains slide freely, and PTGP is a very unique string: it delivers exactly what you put into it. If you want a flat ball, you get it. If you want some more spin. it's there. If you miss something in your swing, it won't help you magically placing the ball in. I enjoy that, because I have "flatter" strokes so I want a racquet/string combo that can do exactly what I want it to do, especially when I go for heavier balls to finish the point. And there's no one to blame if I lose the point but me.

I'm very happy with this combo and it will be my go-to strings from now on, but I'll also try TB 1.20 and BHB7 17 since I have some sets already on my way.

Oh, and it seems to held tension very well!

JT_2eighty 09-06-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen (Post 6871708)
JT, long time no see! Since the time we were in the gut/poly thread. Mosquito seems like a great option as well, I'll plan to try that as well. The problem is that I liked Yonex PTGP a lot!!!

It's indeed hard to see guys around here that are fans of poly/poly hybrids. I'm guessing the club would be only the 3 of us and one or another lost soul... :lol:

Yea, gut/poly is still my go-to. Gut/MB is my favorite all-time setup. Always have it on hand, but also have a stick that I'm testing something new in. When the trial goes awry, gut/mb always delivers. Still, it's fun testing new strings.

I also have some TB 1.20 & BHB7 17 that I'll be crossing with MB when the time comes :)

dadozen 09-06-2012 10:43 AM

I wish I could keep playing with gut/poly, especially VS Team, but the cost is prohibitive for me. But it was the best stringjob I've tested to date.

Please keep us updated about the TB/MB and BHB7/MB hybrids!

rolleroh 09-06-2012 11:34 AM

I just started a poly/poly thread today looking for feedback from anyone w experience w the setup, & specific strings.....

Gonna try Big Ace Micro mains @ 55 / Volkl Cyclone 18g crosses @ 53 (torn between Cyclone & TB bc TB fav string, but wanna try Cyclone),,,

Any thoughts???

JT_2eighty 09-06-2012 11:40 AM

For me, I like the textured string in main, and a smooth, softer cross.

I bet TB/Micro would be a nice one. Cyclone/Micro also a decent idea. Cyclone in the cross wouldn't give you a clear idea of the string's performance, while Micro is a nice soft copoly that would be a great cross string (very similar to my cross string, Mosquito Bite 1.16).

rolleroh 09-06-2012 11:51 AM

You def got me thinking when I read about the thinner/softer crosses.....

I was thinking Id get more of the pop & comfort from Micro in the mains, & nice bite w spin string in crosses, but you have experienced the opposite, right???

smirker 09-06-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen (Post 6871835)
I wish I could keep playing with gut/poly, especially VS Team, but the cost is prohibitive for me. But it was the best stringjob I've tested to date.

Please keep us updated about the TB/MB and BHB7/MB hybrids!

Dadozen. Have you tried YTP spin crossed with YTPP yet? That set up could provide the ideal combination in the low 40's.

JT_2eighty 09-06-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolleroh (Post 6871997)
You def got me thinking when I read about the thinner/softer crosses.....

I was thinking Id get more of the pop & comfort from Micro in the mains, & nice bite w spin string in crosses, but you have experienced the opposite, right???

Not that it's the opposite, as you'll get similar feel and power with either arrangment (micro mains versus micro crosses). However, I think the textured string in the main will give you 'better' bite, with the micro crosses "enhancing" that with their comfort/power.

Typically whichever string is in the main is giving you the overall feel of the stringbed, with the crosses acting as support. So if your main priority is power & feel, then Micro mains may work best for you. I just think a textured cross is not going to be *as productive* as it would be in the mains.

dadozen 09-06-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smirker (Post 6872011)
Dadozen. Have you tried YTP spin crossed with YTPP yet? That set up could provide the ideal combination in the low 40's.

I actually did try Yonex Poly Tour Spin. You can read that in my first post;)

I really liked it, and that's why I started using B5E( which is a very similar string ). I only didn't keep using YPTS because an hybrid of the blue string with the lime wellow string from Yonex in my Prestiges would actually hurt my eyes while playing:lol:

mykoh 09-06-2012 06:51 PM

hmmm very interesting.. i have a set of YTPP and YTPS at home, i may give it a shot. my YTPS is in black too so no risk of going blind there.

man, everytime i think i've kicked the poly habit it just drags me back in!

R1CKSO 09-06-2012 07:37 PM

I would join the club, I don't play anything else than poly/poly hybrid, I'm playing at the moment with Lux BB original at mains #52 lbs, with Wilson Sensation 16 #50 on my customized prestige mid IG, love the feel, tons of power yet controlable, and very easy on the arm. I love luxilon

smirker 09-06-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen (Post 6872092)
I actually did try Yonex Poly Tour Spin. You can read that in my first post;)

I really liked it, and that's why I started using B5E( which is a very similar string ). I only didn't keep using YPTS because an hybrid of the blue string with the lime wellow string from Yonex in my Prestiges would actually hurt my eyes while playing:lol:

I know you tried the spin but have you tried a hybrid of the two Yonex strings with the blue spin string in the mains and the yellow cross? That could be an interesting experiment. I have some of both strings so will give it a go.

I can't see any mention of that particular hybrid in your first post but it seems you have tried it?

blipblop 09-07-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT_2eighty (Post 6872071)
Not that it's the opposite, as you'll get similar feel and power with either arrangment (micro mains versus micro crosses). However, I think the textured string in the main will give you 'better' bite, with the micro crosses "enhancing" that with their comfort/power.

Typically whichever string is in the main is giving you the overall feel of the stringbed, with the crosses acting as support. So if your main priority is power & feel, then Micro mains may work best for you. I just think a textured cross is not going to be *as productive* as it would be in the mains.

I try to put the stiffer poly in the mains too, for this reason. I am giving up on highly textured strings, though. Alu rough/Ruff code type of texture is ok, but the pentagonal/hexagonal/twisted stuff messes up the feel for me on volleys and touch shots. I string high for polys 55-58lbs because I use pretty powerful rackets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R1CKSO (Post 6873647)
I would join the club, I don't play anything else than poly/poly hybrid, I'm playing at the moment with Lux BB original at mains #52 lbs, with Wilson Sensation 16 #50 on my customized prestige mid IG, love the feel, tons of power yet controlable, and very easy on the arm. I love luxilon

Not to be an elitist in our awesome club, but I don't think Sensation is a poly...:-|

rolleroh 09-07-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT_2eighty (Post 6872071)

Pulled the trigger w Cyclone 18 mains @ 52 / Micro crosses @ 55.......

I'll post performance update after I play....

Love how sick I am that restringing actually gets me so excited I can't stand to wait

dadozen 09-07-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smirker (Post 6874000)
I know you tried the spin but have you tried a hybrid of the two Yonex strings with the blue spin string in the mains and the yellow cross? That could be an interesting experiment. I have some of both strings so will give it a go.

I can't see any mention of that particular hybrid in your first post but it seems you have tried it?

Sorry smirker, misunderstanding from my part! I actually haven't tried a combo of the Yonex strings, but it sounds like a very nice experiment to do. I will definitely order some YTPS to try it. The only downside is that this particular stringjob will look awful in my Prestiges. Only if I had a Yonex racquet, like a EZONE...:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolleroh (Post 6874612)
Pulled the trigger w Cyclone 18 mains @ 52 / Micro crosses @ 55.......

I'll post performance update after I play....

Love how sick I am that restringing actually gets me so excited I can't stand to wait

Don't forget to let us know how it goes! I also have some Cyclone sitting around, so I might try it if this experiment goes well. There are just too much combinations out there for only 1 person to try.

smirker 09-07-2012 08:26 AM

[quote=dadozen;6874629]Sorry smirker, misunderstanding from my part! I actually haven't tried a combo of the Yonex strings, but it sounds like a very nice experiment to do. I will definitely order some YTPS to try it. The only downside is that this particular stringjob will look awful in my Prestiges. Only if I had a Yonex racquet, like a EZONE...:D

No problemo. The blue/yellow combo will look great in the pd but I can understand not putting it in a Prestige. My Dunlops are a similar shade of red and it would not look too great in them either. If it plays great however I might be tempted to try it anyway.

rolleroh 09-21-2012 05:07 AM

Just hung Cyclone 1.20 Mains / Cyber Blue 1.20 Crosses- both at 50.....

SICK control w crazy spin & limited power.....

Very surprised w the power level actually / like the Blue is not playing its part (at least not after about an hour hitting)

Gonna hit ball machine about an hour & play match bit later, so will have very good idea how this setup plays broken in