Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Attention Playmate Volley Owners (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=438880)

COPEY 09-05-2012 09:56 PM

Attention Playmate Volley Owners

If you own a Playmate Volley, when it comes time to replace the battery (mine has lasted 3.5 years and I teach with it), I happened upon a very inexpensive option compared to spending $166 to purchase one from the manufacturer or some other online retail store. On top of the steep replacement price, one store wanted to charge me $28 to ship it.

I'll fill in the part number tomorrow when I get home (currently at work), but you'll want to call Digi Key and order the replacement battery from them. Part of the exorbitant asking price from Metal Tek (the manufacturer) has to do with the casing that houses the battery that allows for the quick disconnect feature. Well you only need one case so there's really no need to purchase an additional one. You simply pop the case open (8 - 10 screws), undue the terminals on the existing battery and reverse the procedure to install the new one - takes all of 10 min at the most start to finish.

You could probably find one at a local electronic parts store or maybe even an automotive store. I didn't feel like doing a bunch of leg work, so I googled the name on the battery with its part number, which is how I found the Digi Key site.

The best part is the price - $69 shipped (From MN - I live in NE)! The price of the battery was $52 & change plus $3.67 tax. It was a little over $12 to ship UPS. I called last Friday, they shipped it Friday, and I received it today. Very nice people to deal with, very professional. I won't relay the story that led me to this incredible money-saving find; it's not a pretty one. Needless to say this particular company (retail competitor of this site...sort of) has lost my business forever given the manner in which they my order.

If you have any questions fire away. It's a fairly straightforward process, however...and what a money saver!

EDIT: The part number of the battery in mine was no longer available, so they crossed it to a suitable sub. Same specs, dimensions, manufacturer - works like a charm. Here's the info you'll need to purchase one.

522-1014-ND
Batt VRLA 12V 17AH

mmk 09-06-2012 08:29 AM

Not too hard to find basically the same thing a few other places for less, like the big rainforest company. Just type in 12v 17ah, and you'll find a bunch.

COPEY 09-06-2012 08:49 AM

I don't doubt it. I guess the point is not to buy from the manufacturer or any retail vendor.

kopfan 09-06-2012 11:23 PM

correct me if i am wrong.
a proper battery replacement will need to be a 12v Sealed Lead Acid, size: 7.1" x 3" x 6.5" with flat terminal connectors. Higher AH (capacity) will give you longer run.

mmk 09-07-2012 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kopfan (Post 6874017)
a proper battery replacement will need to be a 12v Sealed Lead Acid, size: 7.1" x 3" x 6.5" with flat terminal connectors. Higher AH (capacity) will give you longer run.

You've got it

beernutz 09-07-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kopfan (Post 6874017)

Even if you find the size and type of battery you want but with different connectors than what your machine needs you can sometimes buy adapters to make that battery work with your machine. I did this and saved about $15 by buying the battery I needed but with the wrong connectors for my SP and separately buying the adapters to make it work. I found the adapters for $.56 each with free shipping too. You just have to wear out google and wade though a lot of battery sites but deals are out there.

COPEY 09-07-2012 10:02 PM

On a Playmate the connection is facilitated by the casing that houses the battery (has its own wiring/connector), so the type/kind of terminals that come on the battery are pretty much a non-issue.

kopfan 09-08-2012 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COPEY (Post 6876663)
On a Playmate the connection is facilitated by the casing that houses the battery (has its own wiring/connector), so the type/kind of terminals that come on the battery are pretty much a non-issue.

no issue with any type of terminal connectors? you have a picture to show the inside of the battery box how the battery is installed?
as I am seeing lots of higher AH battery 12v with similar external size but terminal connector is not flat plate type and wonder if that would actually fit in the battery box...

COPEY 09-08-2012 05:06 AM

Ah, I was under the impression you owned a Playmate. If the terminals on these batteries fall within the dimensions of the the battery case itself (not the housing made by Playmate), attaching the wires, regardless of terminal type, would be a no-brainer, even if you had to solder on a different type of terminal.

If I have a need to pull out the battery I just replaced I'll take a picture, but unfortunately I can't justify it just to prove a point.

If you in fact do own a Playmate, pop the case open; you'll see.

kopfan 09-08-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COPEY (Post 6877118)
Ah, I was under the impression you owned a Playmate. If the terminals on these batteries fall within the dimensions of the the battery case itself (not the housing made by Playmate), attaching the wires, regardless of terminal type, would be a no-brainer, even if you had to solder on a different type of terminal.

If I have a need to pull out the battery I just replaced I'll take a picture, but unfortunately I can't justify it just to prove a point.

If you in fact do own a Playmate, pop the case open; you'll see.

Yes. I own a playmate. I am currently away from home and my machine is not with me. Was thinking to replace the battery with a higher AH to have a longer run time at high setting. Your post just trigger my curiosity and making me very eager to find out if a battery i am looking can actually fit in well.

COPEY 09-08-2012 08:10 PM

Gotcha. Tell ya what - post the link to the battery you're looking at and I'll tell ya. ;-)

kopfan 09-09-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COPEY (Post 6880593)
Gotcha. Tell ya what - post the link to the battery you're looking at and I'll tell ya. ;-)

http://www.power-sonic.com/images/po..._11_Jan_12.pdf

COPEY 09-09-2012 08:05 PM

Nice specs on that battery. I'll measure my old one when I get home tomorrow and let you know. I'm absolutely sure the Length and width are good to go, but I'm not quite sure about the height. Anyway, I'll confirm when I get home in the morning and edit this post.

Edit: Yep, it'll fit. When you get it, let me know how it works in terms of endurance.

Hotrocks 11-03-2012 06:11 AM

Volley- replacement battery

Copey- Thanks for the info on battery replacement! I have the same machine, love it, going on a year and a half. Use it 3-4 times a week and battery seems to be losing it's resilience. Love everything about the volley, but would like to customize it a bit. Is it possible to add a electronical device so the ball speed changes coming out of the machine, so you get shorter balls? Would be more like hitting against a real person, than always expecting the ball to be in the same place. Thanks...........

sundaypunch 11-04-2012 06:04 AM

Some of the more advanced Playmate machines can do this but not the Volley. This would not be a simple mod. if it is even possible. Do you know any electrical engineers that want a project?

COPEY 11-04-2012 06:44 AM

Actually an easier solution, and it's what I do since I teach with mine, is mix in a few used/slightly dead balls. It forces you to 'read' the shot and adjust your court position.

Hotrocks 11-04-2012 08:10 AM

Reading the shot!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by COPEY (Post 6993946)
Actually an easier solution, and it's what I do since I teach with mine, is mix in a few used/slightly dead balls. It forces you to 'read' the shot and adjust your court position.

Thanks for your response. I use the Head-Pressureless balls and after some time some balls go dead faster and there is a difference in depth. READING the SHOT is my biggest problem! Hit fine on the ball machine, hitting against a opponent is another matter. I believe to much hitting on the machine hinders your performance on court, but great to improve your stokes. Thanks for your replies!

COPEY 11-04-2012 08:28 AM

Very true - a machine, although useful, plays a limited role in improving one's game. Great for working on mechanics and practicing situation-specific shots, but that's about it.

The volley is also great for overheads. I cut a few pieces of a 2X4 and nailed them on top of one another (3 to be exact). I brake the rear wheels, then place my little gizmo underneath the axle for the front wheel to tilt the machine back to produce very realistic lobs.