Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Pancho Gonzales is the mentally toughest and greatest tennis player of all time (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=438918)

PanchoGonzalesTheGreatest 09-06-2012 07:00 AM

Pancho Gonzales is the mentally toughest and greatest tennis player of all time

It is said by those who saw him that he was such a fierce competitor that he makes Jimmy Connors look like a *****cat in comparison. Think about that for a second.

It has also been said that he never lost serve whilst serving for the set or match. He was the World No. 1 professional tennis player for an unequalled eight years in the 1950s and early 1960s.

A 1999 Sports Illustrated article about the magazine's 20 "favorite athletes" of the 20th century said about Gonzales (their number 15 pick): "If earth was on the line in a tennis match, the man you want serving to save humankind would be Ricardo Alonso Gonzalez." American tennis commentator Bud Collins echoed this in an August 2006 article for MSNBC.com: "If I had to choose someone to play for my life, it would be Pancho Gonzales."

He also had great longetivity and as a 41-year-old at Wimbledon in 1969, Gonzales met Charlie Pasarell, a Puerto Rican younger than Gonzales by 16 years.

Gonzales fought back from 2 sets down to win an epic encounter 22-24, 1–6, 16-14, 6–3, 11-9. Gonzales saved all seven match points that Pasarell had against him in the fifth set, twice coming back from 0-40 deficits, to walk off the court the eventual winner in a 5-hour, 12-minute epic.

Here is a YouTube video about the incredible Pancho Gonzales: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd0gJzm_EQY

RF20Lennon 09-06-2012 07:04 AM

Can we not have one single day of peace on this forum????? Two trolls got banned yesterday and now this

Numenor 09-06-2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanchoGonzalesTheGreatest (Post 6871247)
It is said by those who saw him that he was such a fierce competitor that he makes Jimmy Connors look like a *****cat in comparison. Think about that for a second.

It has also been said that he never lost serve whilst serving for the set or match. He was the World No. 1 professional tennis player for an unequalled eight years in the 1950s and early 1960s.

A 1999 Sports Illustrated article about the magazine's 20 "favorite athletes" of the 20th century said about Gonzales (their number 15 pick): "If earth was on the line in a tennis match, the man you want serving to save humankind would be Ricardo Alonso Gonzalez." American tennis commentator Bud Collins echoed this in an August 2006 article for MSNBC.com: "If I had to choose someone to play for my life, it would be Pancho Gonzales."

He also had great longetivity and as a 41-year-old at Wimbledon in 1969, Gonzales met Charlie Pasarell, a Puerto Rican younger than Gonzales by 16 years.

Gonzales fought back from 2 sets down to win an epic encounter 22-24, 1–6, 16-14, 6–3, 11-9. Gonzales saved all seven match points that Pasarell had against him in the fifth set, twice coming back from 0-40 deficits, to walk off the court the eventual winner in a 5-hour, 12-minute epic.

Here is a YouTube video about the incredible Pancho Gonzales: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd0gJzm_EQY

PanchoGonzalesTheGreatest 09-06-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF20Lennon (Post 6871255)
Can we not have one single day of peace on this forum????? Two trolls got banned yesterday and now this

What on earth are you talking about? I am simply paying my respects to the mentally strongest tennis player of all time and one of the greatest fighters in all of sports. Gonzales is up there with Michael Jordan, Rocky marciano in terms of sheer will to win.

RF20Lennon 09-06-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanchoGonzalesTheGreatest (Post 6871271)
What on earth are you talking about? I am simply paying my respects to the mentally strongest tennis player of all time and one of the greatest fighters in all of sports. Gonzales is up there with Michael Jordan, Rocky marciano in terms of sheer will to win.

I'm not talking about your appraisal of Gonzales just with the way you phrase things. Someone's been taking lessons from *** ;)

PanchoGonzalesTheGreatest 09-06-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF20Lennon (Post 6871276)
I'm not talking about your appraisal of Gonzales just with the way you phrase things. Someone's been taking lessons from *** ;)

That is how I express myself. I believe strongly that Pancho Gonzales is the greatest tennis player of all time. Maybe you wouldn't protest so much if I said Federer was the greatest.

RF20Lennon 09-06-2012 07:19 AM

As I said before I have no issues with who you consider the greatest but the way you did it

Mustard 09-06-2012 07:22 AM

Pancho Gonzales is the most underrated player of all time, by a country mile. He is a possible GOAT, yet many people in the tennis world don't even know who he is.

RF20Lennon 09-06-2012 07:24 AM

The thing is unfortunately we lack video footage of those matches like we do with federer Sampras and even laver and so Gonzales hasn't made it big into the Internet world

SStrikerR 09-06-2012 07:28 AM

Belong in former pro player section. Gtfo

PanchoGonzalesTheGreatest 09-06-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF20Lennon (Post 6871313)
As I said before I have no issues with who you consider the greatest but the way you did it

So just because you have issues with how I express myself, then I should change just to make you happy? Everyone is different and expresses themselves in different ways. If you don't like how I express myself, then no one is forcing you to read my threads. As long as I don't break any rules, then I should be allowed to express myself how I like.

Trolling is something I have no interest in. I like tennis too much to waste my time trolling. Everything I say, I believe deep down, and I am not trying to provoke anyone. I've been a big admirer for Federer's natural ability since I first saw in play in 1998 but I have always been a big critic of his fragile mind. He sort of won me over with his brilliant performances in 2004 but then that mental fragility surfaced again and he started making too many unforced errors in matches.

pc1 09-06-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard (Post 6871319)
Pancho Gonzales is the most underrated player of all time, by a country mile. He is a possible GOAT, yet many people in the tennis world don't even know who he is.

That's a shame. Gonzalez is arguably the greatest player of all time and his record stands with anyone. Incidentally guys, while Gonzales is often spelled with an "s" the spelling in the Hall of Champions at the National Tennis Center is with a "z."

RF20Lennon 09-06-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanchoGonzalesTheGreatest (Post 6871345)
So just because you have issues with how I express myself, then I should change just to make you happy? Everyone is different and expresses themselves in different ways. If you don't like how I express myself, then no one is forcing you to read my threads. As long as I don't break any rules, then I should be allowed to express myself how I like.

Trolling is something I have no interest in. I like tennis too much to waste my time trolling. Everything I say, I believe deep down, and I am not trying to provoke anyone. I've been a big admirer for Federer's natural ability since I first saw in play in 1998 but I have always been a big critic of his fragile mind. He sort of won me over with his brilliant performances in 2004 but then that mental fragility surfaced again and he started making too many unforced errors in matches.

Point taken. Just that the way you listed things was sort of similar to a troll who was banned a while back but I was wrong and I apologize

urban 09-06-2012 10:55 AM

Wasn't called Gorgo (Gorgonzola) for nothing. Smilie.

TMF 09-06-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard (Post 6871319)

Why do you have to keep on defending Pancho? There are players that were before this time, and experts from TTC have Budge and Tilden in the top 10 greatest male player. So you can't say that Pancho was overlooked.

pc1 09-06-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 6871934)
Why do you have to keep on defending Pancho? There are players that were before this time, and experts from TTC have Budge and Tilden in the top 10 greatest male player. So you can't say that Pancho was overlooked.

I actually believe Pancho Gonzalez is greatly overlooked but people like superficially at the totals of classic majors not realizing he couldn't play the classic majors.

Mustard 09-06-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 6871934)

Tilden is fortunate in that during his amateur prime, the best players in the world were also amateurs, and Tilden was also the first really big tennis superstar to do very well as a professional, after players like Vinny Richards and Karel Kozeluh had shown the way for the professional game early on. Even though Tilden did very well as a professional and was aging, I believe all the credit he gets from certain circles is due to his amateur career with 7 US Championships and winning his last Wimbledon 9 years after his previous Wimbledon triumph.

Budge has the 1938 Grand Slam to make him famous.

Gonzales, I am sure, is only given credit by some people for his 2 US Championships titles as an amateur and the fact that he was still playing in his 40s, but his period as the best player in the world for 8 years as a professional, is clearly not acknowledged in many circles. If it were, there's no way he would be outside of the top 5 on all time lists at the very least.

pc1 09-06-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard (Post 6871992)
Tilden is fortunate in that during his amateur prime, the best players in the world were also amateurs, and Tilden was also the first really big tennis superstar to do very well as a professional, after players like Vinny Richards and Karel Kozeluh had shown the way for the professional game early on. Even though Tilden did very well as a professional and was aging, I believe all the credit he gets from certain circles is due to his amateur career with 7 US Championships and winning his last Wimbledon 9 years after his previous Wimbledon triumph.

Budge has the 1938 Grand Slam to make him famous.

Gonzales, I am sure, is only given credit by some people for his 2 US Championships titles as an amateur and the fact that he was still playing in his 40s, but his period as the best player in the world for 8 years as a professional, is clearly not acknowledged in many circles. If it were, there's no way he would be outside of the top 5 on all time lists at the very least.

It frankly bugs me that people don't look at Pancho Gonzalez as one of the top five ever. People just are not examining his full record.

kiki 09-06-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanchoGonzalesTheGreatest (Post 6871345)

Certainly, Great Pancho didnīt have the menthal issue fed has with Nadal, he just didnīt have too many menthal issues to worry about.I conīt know if he was superior to others from that point of view, but he certainly deserves to be respected as a man of great nerve and courage.

kiki 09-06-2012 12:53 PM

In many ways, the roots of both Connors and Gonzales were so similar...Pancho was a chicano, grown up to hate ( in a figured or not so figured way) the sunny side of the street...and those were the first words Jimbo learnt from his mother, too.