Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Johnnie Mac (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=438992)

Setmatch45 09-06-2012 04:35 PM

Johnnie Mac

Not sure this is the proper section for this post but... I am a fan of Mac but why everytime he does a match does he have to mention his time as a player and Borg? We all know he was a great player as borg was as well but really John everytime? The other former player's may do it alittle but Mac does it every match. He is good enough at his present job on tv that he does not need to remind us that he was a great player.

Bowtiesarecool 09-06-2012 04:42 PM

The Macenroes both have no shame.

PeteD 09-08-2012 04:24 PM

He used to be completely crazy, now he's only slightly. Great asset to tennis, though.

hoodjem 09-08-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setmatch45 (Post 6872891)
Not sure this is the proper section for this post but... I am a fan of Mac but why everytime he does a match does he have to mention his time as a player and Borg? We all know he was a great player as borg was as well but really John everytime? The other former player's may do it alittle but Mac does it every match. He is good enough at his present job on tv that he does not need to remind us that he was a great player.

Somehow, I'm not surprised.

Mustard 09-08-2012 06:46 PM

Was a 10 year old McEnroe in the Forest Hills crowd when Laver completed the 1969 Grand Slam? I ask because McEnroe never fails to tell us that Laver was his idol.

RF20Lennon 09-08-2012 06:48 PM

"I mean that was when I played against Bjorn my great rival!"

Gizo 09-08-2012 10:49 PM

The only reason McEnroe is a commentator is that it gives him the platform to massage his ego, stay in the limelight, remind people of how good he was and listen to the sound of his own voice.

An unbearable egotistical jerk, but still one of the best things to even happen to tennis, given how he contributed to the sport becoming so popular in the 70s and 80.

Raul_SJ 09-08-2012 11:06 PM

Great player but a horrible analyst.

Needs to be replaced by someone more articulate.

scotus 09-09-2012 12:06 AM

Some teenagers playing today don't even know who Sampras is.

I bet you a lot of young kids have no idea who Borg is.

mental midget 09-09-2012 11:39 AM

i think some historical context during broadcasts isn't a bad thing. his personal point of reference does happen to coincide with some pretty famous moments in the sport. he does bring it up pretty often, but with regards to his own ego, it should be pointed out that he consistently remarks how what the current players are doing is equal to, and often better than, what he managed to achieve as a player. and his frequent borg references do seem more about heaping praise on his former rival, and providing a point of comparison with nadal, for example, than they are a vehicle for drudging up his own past glory.

gavna 09-09-2012 01:26 PM

Maybe you need to find some old reruns of matches called by Newcombe, Ashe, Gonzalez, Segura, Dell, McKay back in the 70s thru the 80s...all those guys would talk on and on (I personally think in a good way) about old rivals, matches or coaches ( ie every Aussie would talk about Hopman)....Stolle is one that didn't do it.
I love McEnroe and considering his stature in the sport I have no issues at all with his commentary.

Mustard 09-09-2012 02:39 PM

I'll never understand why ESPN broke up the commentary team of Cliff Drysdale, Fred Stolle and Mary Carillo.

Raphael 09-10-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard (Post 6883035)
I'll never understand why ESPN broke up the commentary team of Cliff Drysdale, Fred Stolle and Mary Carillo.

I liked Drysdale and Stolle.

Mac is not the "perfect" commentator, but without him who is left?

-His brother who just says "Hello!" when someone hits a hard shot?
-Mary Carillo whose claim to fame is that she won mixed doubles at the French with Mac?
-Brad "everybody should respect how great I am" Gilbert?
-Pam "I struggle for relevance because nobody knows who I am" Shriver?
-Navratilova and Evert who were great players but can't commentate at all?

One of the best matches I ever saw in terms of commentary was a QF? night match at the USOpen between Federer and Roddick where Agassi joined Mac and the studio goon in the booth. The 2 ex players gave really good insight about both players and the studio goon mostly stayed quiet. It was nice.

rkelley 09-16-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael (Post 6884787)
One of the best matches I ever saw in terms of commentary was a QF? night match at the USOpen between Federer and Roddick where Agassi joined Mac and the studio goon in the booth. The 2 ex players gave really good insight about both players and the studio goon mostly stayed quiet. It was nice.

USO 2007 QF between Roddick and Fed. Agassi gave a witheringly frank appraisal of Roddick's game. Agassi and Mac were great (and I'm not a fan of Mac's commentary generally). Studio goon was smart enough to stay quiet and let Mac and Agassi talk.

Great match btw. Huge power and consistency from both guys. Both of them had like three times the winners as UFE. The first two sets were decided by just a couple of points. Both tie breakers.

Goosehead 11-12-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

I liked Drysdale and Stolle.

Mac is not the "perfect" commentator, but without him who is left?

-His brother who just says "Hello!" when someone hits a hard shot?
-Mary Carillo whose claim to fame is that she won mixed doubles at the French with Mac?
-Brad "everybody should respect how great I am" Gilbert?
-Pam "I struggle for relevance because nobody knows who I am" Shriver?
-Navratilova and Evert who were great players but can't commentate at all?

studio goon :mrgreen::-P

RF20Lennon 11-12-2012 07:29 PM

I really love JMac he gives great Insight IMO. Id love to see him jason-goodall team and Cahill do a match together!!

McEnroeisanartist 11-13-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard (Post 6883035)

Agreed, although I think Trabert, Summersall, and Newcombe were even better.

slowfox 11-13-2012 11:28 PM

I wanna hear Garrison Keillor commentate a grand slam final...

PeteD 11-15-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

That was incredible. I still think of things Andre said during that match. I don't know why they don't get him back -- often!

Tennis Dunce 01-04-2013 05:18 PM

I always gave Mac the benefit of the doubt because he was mentally ill...OTOH Connors was just a natural jerk with no excuses.