Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Is there any advantage for pro's to have a high ball toss? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=439242)

tank_job 09-08-2012 05:52 PM

Is there any advantage for pro's to have a high ball toss?

The ones who do have a high toss obviously are more susceptible to the wind, but other than that, a lot of serves with high ball tosses just are error-prone in general. Take Sharapova's or Ivanovic.

It begs the question; why don't they just toss lower?

I know they have their own distinct serving style which they're stuck with, but are they stuck with a bad habit? Does having a very high ball toss hold any advantage over tossing the ball just high enough to get your ideal contact point (ie. Dolgopolov, Monfils, Roddick)?

SStrikerR 09-08-2012 06:03 PM

Some playersjust need the extra time to get through their motion. However, some of them definitely toss it higher than they need to.

mellowyellow 09-08-2012 06:22 PM

It does seem as though the taller and longer armed players have the higher ball tosses. It is a timing thing, and what they are comfortable with.

Vcore89 09-08-2012 08:36 PM

High ball toss can be beneficial if one really wanna brush up for a wicked topspin.

Tshooter 09-08-2012 08:59 PM

Good excuse for a loss when its windy.

smoledman 09-08-2012 09:55 PM

Roger has the most peRFect ball toss. It's in the same spot every single time. He almost never has to abort.

Sentinel 09-08-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoledman (Post 6880763)
Roger has the most peRFect ball toss. It's in the same spot every single time. He almost never has to abort.

Riiight, sometimes he just can't get a first serve.

And then when they close the roof (if there is one), he's gettin them all.:)

papertank 09-08-2012 10:45 PM

It just has to do with personal preference, there is no distinct physical advantange. Whatever a player has to do to get focused on their serve, they should do.

dominikk1985 09-08-2012 11:56 PM

A higher toss gives them more time and decreases the chance of hitting tthe ball not as high as possible. but still I think too high is not good. Throw just to the contact point like goran is dificult too (although much harder to read than a high toss but also requires more timing and can cause rushing) but I think it should not much higher than a foot or so over the contact point.

jokinla 09-09-2012 12:01 AM

The higher you toss it, the more difficult you make it for yourself, so no.

Topspin_80 09-09-2012 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6880794)
Riiight, sometimes he just can't get a first serve.

And then when they close the roof (if there is one), he's gettin them all.:)

good retort :)

citybert 09-09-2012 02:29 AM

A higher ball toss is all about getting your legs into it. It gives more time to bend and let that power transfer happen. So it is very important for those who generate more umph from the legs.

dominikk1985 09-09-2012 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by citybert (Post 6880940)
A higher ball toss is all about getting your legs into it. It gives more time to bend and let that power transfer happen. So it is very important for those who generate more umph from the legs.

yes but roddick has the deepest leg bend and he has a low toss. DP doesn't use his legs at all and he has a high toss.

but I agree it is more difficult to do a deep knee bend and have a low toss since you must basically do the windup during the toss.

fuzzyball 09-09-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vcore89 (Post 6880658)
High ball toss can be beneficial if one really wanna brush up for a wicked topspin.

I don't see how, since if you really want to brush up the ball, the point of contact with the ball for a topspin serve is supposed to be lower than for the flat serves.

sundaypunch 09-09-2012 05:38 AM

According to Allen Fox in "Think to Win"-

Hitting a low toss at it's peak "requires perfect timing and coordination between the toss and racquet swing. The racquet must move a considerable distance and arrive at a particular point in time and space the exact instant the ball gets there. There is no leeway. On the other hand, a higher toss introduces some slack in the system. The server gains flexibility. He can slow down or speed up the action as the situation requires and contact the ball where he wants on the way down. His trade-off is having to hit a moving ball rather than a stationary one."

I find this to be true although there is a point of diminishing return if you toss too far above your hitting point.

wings56 09-09-2012 08:44 AM

if you look at the physics, a toss barely above or just at the point of contact would be ideal. when you start tossing it higher than that, the ball is actually traveling faster on the way down, thus giving you less time to hit the ball and making that perfect contact more difficult. thats probably the reason all of the best servers have a lower toss. the ball is suspended at the peak, so it makes solid contact much more consistent since the ball is either not moving or moving very slowly.

Vcore89 09-09-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyball (Post 6881123)
I don't see how, since if you really want to brush up the ball, the point of contact with the ball for a topspin serve is supposed to be lower than for the flat serves.

Are you talking like a coach?:) I'd rather point to Steffi releasing a high ball toss topspin serve.:)

helloworld 09-09-2012 09:57 AM

High ball toss gives you more time to hit the serve.

Tanya 09-09-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vcore89 (Post 6881911)
Are you talking like a coach?:) I'd rather point to Steffi releasing a high ball toss topspin serve.:)

Just because one person with a high ball toss can hit a nice topspin serve doesn't mean that's the rule.

akamc 09-09-2012 11:41 AM

Hitting a falling ball gives you a higher vertical velocity component of contact relative to a rising racquet, generating more topspin in your serve. It's all about finding your best personal compromise for what you are trying to accomplish.