Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   how often do you switch rackets? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=439325)

spectastic 09-09-2012 01:40 PM

how often do you switch rackets?

does it take you a while of demoing to realize what exactly you want your racket to be like? Or do you just pick one up, lead it up, and go? I've tried hitting around with the aeropro drive before, as well as the pure drive, and I think they're not so different, and the prince o3 white is very similar to their specs.

I'm considering pairing up my leaded prince o3 white with a new one from tw, but a part of me is wondering if there is a better racket out there for me.

BreakPoint 09-09-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spectastic (Post 6882559)
does it take you a while of demoing to realize what exactly you want your racket to be like? Or do you just pick one up, lead it up, and go? I've tried hitting around with the aeropro drive before, as well as the pure drive, and I think they're not so different, and the prince o3 white is very similar to their specs.

I'm considering pairing up my leaded prince o3 white with a new one from tw, but a part of me is wondering if there is a better racket out there for me.

The entire tennis racquet industry is geared to make you always think that for the rest of your life. They have to or else they'd go out of business. :shock: LOL

Dgdavid 09-09-2012 02:55 PM

twice since you started this thread.

Say Chi Sin Lo 09-09-2012 03:18 PM

Whenever there's a new world #1, or whenever that world #1 gets a new paintjob. Faith in the equipment is all one needs.

Delraco 09-09-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 6882930)
Whenever there's a new world #1, or whenever that world #1 gets a new paintjob. Faith in the equipment is all one needs.

That's a very good point...pedigree of a racquet tends to make resale value sky-rocket.

I tend to buy and sell racquets pretty frequently...at any given point I will use two or three on court in one session just for kicks. Although my pure storm ltd gt tends to get the most attention and it's a great stick, I'm not keen on sticking with just one flavor..:)

gmatheis 09-09-2012 04:36 PM

I had my last rackets for over 15 years, switched a little over a year ago and probably wont switch again for several years minimum.

If you spend some time demoing a bunch of rackets and find one that you like, why 6 months or a year later would this racket suddenly not be good for you anymore?

The only exception I can really think of is a beginner (2.5-3.0) who advances their game (say to 4.0) may now need different things from their racket( like less power, smaller head, heavier frame etc).

Long Face 09-09-2012 05:51 PM

Once every 8-9 months.....

CaptinStiff 09-09-2012 06:08 PM

Most people's games evolve over time, and their equipment should follow suit. If you have a good equipment setup and you're happy why change? Although if you change your mechanics and swing path, you may want to look at a new racquet setup that adjusts for it.

The only other time I would consider new equipment change is if a new generation of technology came out that alters the competitive balance of play. This hasn't happened in quite some time.

edman9898 09-09-2012 07:11 PM

It took me about 3 years to find exactly that right stick, the YT Prestige Pro. Then my stuff got stolen and I got a used Microgel Prestige Pro and like it even more because of the extra heft, more flex, and more muted feel.

Winners or Errors 09-09-2012 07:29 PM

I'm on my fourth racquet model in 4 years. One of those was almost instantly abandoned, and has since been sold. The second was in the bag for 3 years. The third lasted a year. The fourth and most recent... a month. All the racquets I like are similarly spec'd, so I don't see myself getting rid of any of the three iterations I currently have. The most recent combines the strengths of the other two and avoids their weaknesses. Closest to a holy-grail since I came back to the sport four years ago...

PBODY99 09-09-2012 07:52 PM

Not often...any more

3 times in the last 12 years.

floide 09-09-2012 08:06 PM

3 times since 1993. But playtested a lot of frames in the way.

Tyler91 09-09-2012 08:26 PM

It definitely depends on the individual. I haven't been playing long and my skills are improving pretty quickly...I've changed sticks 3 times since March (probably unnecessary...equipment gets too much credit, right?) My pro who's been teaching for 25 years probably hasn't switched 3 times in ten years.

FoldingChair 09-09-2012 11:29 PM

I was using a microgel extreme pro for two years until the destructive mixture of a stiff frame and poly strings started destroying my elbow. i demoed the 4d300's in my sig and I've been in love ever since going on three years now I think(?)

Vertiz 09-09-2012 11:36 PM

Used wilson ksix1 for about 2 years, then blx for 1 year then made the switch to head and used the speed/igspeed for 2 years....now i'm using the ig prestige MP. As my game has evolved and i've become more in tune with my game I've switched rackets accordingly. Most of the rackets I use are in the ballpark of eachother (fairly hefty at 11.5oz+, easy to swing with SW around 320, very headlight at btwn 5-7.) I never make huge jumps from say....a 12oz 6pt headlight racket with open string pattern to a 11.3 oz 3pt headlight racket with close string pattern. YOu sort of know when your game has evolved to the point where you need to switch a racket. It's a weird feeling where you feel like the racket is holding you back from making some shots. As your rate of improvement slows down dramatically after awhile and eventually you find yourself the stick you will use probably for the rest of your life.

fuzz nation 09-10-2012 04:57 AM

Although it might seem like a superficial thing, it's awful once we lose confidence in our gear. Even though the problem is "between the ears", it can become impossible to ignore. I think it's reasonable to have a look around once the gear distraction becomes a problem, but don't get carried away. In some cases, racquets can run just fine for a decade or more, but if you're looking for fresh frames every three to six months, you're probably fixating a little too much on the racquets and not enough on the operator.

I've even found occasional demo-ing to be rather healthy for my relationship with the racquets I own. If I'm feeling a little down on my current frame, sampling some other stuff can be rather inspiring. Usually when I try different frames, it reminds me just how much I like my current gear and why I put it in my bag in the first place.

Also no crime in keeping maybe two different racquets in the bag. I've definitely been happy with a quick swap to my alternative on those occasional "off days" where my go-to frames just don't seem quite right. Once the gear distraction is out of the way, it's easy enough to get back to the more important distractions... hello ladies!!!

NickJ 09-10-2012 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgdavid (Post 6882830)

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!! Me too!

Karstic 09-10-2012 07:07 AM

At least once each time I go to the courts.

robbo1970 09-10-2012 07:37 AM

Have seen if there is a racket that matches the spec of your leaded 03 White? If so, maybe consider getting a racket that meets your specs without the need for any adjustments.

I am trying to do that at the moment because I don't want to keep going through these racket searches, I'd rather just stick with one that is broadly close enough to perfect for me, then just re-string it as and when needed.

Sander001 09-10-2012 04:54 PM

Many before 2006 but none since.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgdavid (Post 6882830)

Bravo