Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What is Wrong with Payton Manning's neck ? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=439371)

Nostradamus 09-09-2012 07:36 PM

What is Wrong with Payton Manning's neck ?

I thought his injury was fully healed ? from the NFL commentary, his neck is like a fragile glass that could break anytime. Isn't this dangerous ? how is he still playing and winning and talking superbowl win.

Fearsome Forehand 09-09-2012 09:04 PM

He is being foolish IMHO. He should have retired already. Some of these guys just don't know when to quit. It is not worth the risk he is taking.

krz 09-09-2012 09:07 PM

hollywood9826 09-10-2012 04:30 AM

I was under the belief that the doctors told him he is no more susceptible to any injury than he was before. The risk is the same as it would have been had he not gotten hurt. I'm sure if a doctor said he was way more prone to a career threatinging injury he would have bailed out.

He looked pretty good last night though.

ollinger 09-10-2012 05:04 AM

When you fuse vertebrae, as was done in his neck, you create an area that does not bend to absorb impact or stress. This creates potentially more stress on the adjacent vertebral joints, so there is to some extent a greater risk of injury, though the likelihood of very serious injury is not substantially increased.

Govnor 09-10-2012 07:20 AM

He looked like the old Peyton last night. Possibly a little slower ball speed, but the Broncos fans must be loving this.

Fifth Set 09-10-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Govnor (Post 6885112)
He looked like the old Peyton last night. Possibly a little slower ball speed, but the Broncos fans must be loving this.

Yes we are! Truth is we have never had an accurate passer. Elway was a legend, but accuracy was not his forte. And Tebow...well, enough said.

Manning's performance last night was brilliant. Almost every pass on the numbers, complete control of the offense and masterful reads.

Now the challenge for him will be no different than what he faced in Indy after years of spoiling the fans - the burden of huge expectations!

Govnor 09-10-2012 08:43 AM

What are the expectations this year?

El Diablo 09-10-2012 08:50 AM

He played extremely well for the parts of the game I watched, though I don't recall seeing him throw farther than short to midrange. Will be interesting to see how much pop and distance the arm still has, and whether defenses start keying more on the short receiver routes.

esgee48 09-10-2012 09:04 AM

Yeah, but last night the Pitt strong safety took away the long stuff. It was really a nice game he played, though, and the Denver O line at least gave him protection.

Nostradamus 09-10-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esgee48 (Post 6885324)
Yeah, but last night the Pitt strong safety took away the long stuff. It was really a nice game he played, though, and the Denver O line at least gave him protection.

Analysts say Payton lost some zip on his passes due to this injury. I guess he isn't back to his 100% afterall.

Nostradamus 09-10-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esgee48 (Post 6885324)

Maybe, Payton can't even throw long anymore with any kind of accuracy

stringertom 09-10-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifth Set (Post 6885245)
Yes we are! Truth is we have never had an accurate passer. Elway was a legend, but accuracy was not his forte. And Tebow...well, enough said.

Manning's performance last night was brilliant. Almost every pass on the numbers, complete control of the offense and masterful reads.

Now the challenge for him will be no different than what he faced in Indy after years of spoiling the fans - the burden of huge expectations!

Tebow was your starter for less than a season. The bridge to him included Cutler and Orton, who were decent accuracy-wise but not HOF calibre field generals.

Manning has stepped into a great mix with a Super Bowl coach who emphasizes defense and ball-control tactics. I like their chances to compete for an AFC title, if not more.

krz 09-10-2012 09:37 AM

Who's Payton Manning?

In all seriousness, I wasn't convinced Peyton was the greatest ever until last night.

We saw what Indy did with him and then without him and we saw what Denver did without him then with him.

If he lost a little zip no problem. He still has enough to hit the out route and his game was never dependent on his arm strength. It was really funny watching what happened after the first quarter after the coaches let Peyton run his own offense.

Fifth Set 09-10-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Govnor (Post 6885284)
What are the expectations this year?

They just went up last night...The media is not talking Super Bowl quite yet, but the fans are.

It's all premature but not surprising given the rabid fans, history of franchise success and Manning's skill.

Me, I'm just finally interested in seeing them play in Oakland in person for the first time in years!

Quote:

Go crazy, folks.

Denver is again a city that must be taken seriously throughout the NFL.

This was the night when Denver officially became Peyton's Place.
http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_...but?source=pkg

LeeD 09-11-2012 07:22 PM

Keep the passes quick and short, equals a run at the Super Bowl.
Throw long, take 5 steps back, equals a quick trip to the E room, and falling short of expectations.

CCNM 09-12-2012 04:21 PM

I'm just praying he doesn't get hit in the "right places", because he might end up out of the game permanently. I must say Peyton's giving me a reason to follow the Broncos this year.

LeeD 09-12-2012 06:49 PM

With Denver's D, and the addition of a passing QB, Denver should make the playoffs easily. When D holds opponent's to 23 points a game, your offense should be able to exceed that most games.
GB has a different problem. Their offense is good enough, but the D gives up more points than 30 quite often. Running up the score is great for spectators and fans, but usually not the winning championship formula.
49'ers seem to have some good balance, having robbed the Giants a bit. But we don't expect Alex to keep up his TD/turnover ration like the did last year and this first game.
RG111 has a great scheme behind him. Strong upper tier team, but a stretch for the playoffs in that heavy division.
Ravens D is always keeping them in the game, even if Flacco can score 19 points, it can be enough.
Bucs underachieved the last 3 years. Have a tough D.
NewEngland, now under the radar a bit, even though they played in the Bowl, have similar problems as GB. They score tons, but give up tons through a porous D.

F. Perry 09-12-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6896187)
NewEngland, now under the radar a bit, even though they played in the Bowl, have similar problems as GB. They score tons, but give up tons through a porous D.

Not this year, baby.

LeeD 09-12-2012 07:41 PM

Always been a problem with quick strike offensive teams, their defense get's on the field and susceptible to being tired out by a strong run and dink/doink pass games.