Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Courier Gear Interview (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=439375)

jackcrawford 09-09-2012 07:55 PM

Courier Gear Interview
 
Between the two segments, about fifteen minutes. Of interest, he wishes he hadn't been stubborn and stuck with small head rackets because there is no advantage to a 90 over his new 102. He also says all recreational players should use poly in their stringbed, as at any swing speed it gives an advantage. Courier is one of the two best commentators on the pro game, an accomplished senior player as well as a former ATP #1, and his opinions on those subjects are at odds with many of the posters on these boards, but certainly carry more weight.
http://www.tennis.com/gear/2012/09/g.../#.UE1iy1F62Sq
http://www.tennis.com/gear/2012/09/g.../#.UE1iy1F62Sq

Cup8489 09-09-2012 08:33 PM

Delete Post.

BreakPoint 09-09-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackcrawford (Post 6884228)
Between the two segments, about fifteen minutes. Of interest, he wishes he hadn't been stubborn and stuck with small head rackets because there is no advantage to a 90 over his new 102. He also says all recreational players should use poly in their stringbed, as at any swing speed it gives an advantage. Courier is one of the two best commentators on the pro game, an accomplished senior player as well as a former ATP #1, and his opinions on those subjects are at odds with many of the posters on these boards, but certainly carry more weight.
http://www.tennis.com/gear/2012/09/g.../#.UE1iy1F62Sq
http://www.tennis.com/gear/2012/09/g.../#.UE1iy1F62Sq

And that's exactly what they are, his own personal opinion.

I get no "advantage" from using poly strings. All I get is tennis elbow from them.

I also get no advantage from using 102 sq. in. racquets from my 90 sq. in. racquets. All I get from larger racquets is a loss of feel and control.

galain 09-09-2012 11:03 PM

interesting interview - thank you for posting the links.

He certainly seems a lot more into his gear than many other pros or former players.

Sinner 09-10-2012 12:50 AM

Good stuff...

Here's the text-portion of it!
http://www.tennis.com/gear/2012/09/n.../#.UE2piLLiaAp

Justin diFeliciantonio: Iíve heard that you use a special grip size. What are the details?

Jim Courier: Itís a 4 and 7/16thsóin between a 3/8ths and a 1/2. The thing is, I play with TournaGrip on my racquets, and that adds about 1/16th of an inch. What Iím looking for is a 4 and 1/2 [size], in total. And obviously, if Iím using a 4 and 1/2 handle, with the leather and TournaGrip, itíll be bigger than that.

JD: Whatís the nature of your palette?

JC: Underneath I use a custom leather grip that Roman Prokes [of RPNY Tennis] makes, and then I use TournaGrip. Itís more the Wilson shape. Itís the shape that Iíve used since I used a Wilson racquet, so I presume itís the Wilson shape.

JD: You used a pretty small Wilson Pro Staff when you were on tour. What was the weight?

JC: Youíd have to check with Roman. He has them exactly. But traditionally [on tour] Iíve played with 385 grams, all in, with string and grip. And Iíve come off of that, mostly out of the head. Roman is very good with the particulars. I just tell him what Iím looking for, and he does the work. Then I feel it, and if I like it, great; if not, we tweak it.

JD: Thatís a pretty heavy stick.

JC: Yeah, 385g, all in. Pete was like 400g, and Andre was, I think, right around where I was. Some players are a little lighter. Like Rafa now, heís in the 330s, very light. But heís got a racquet thatís hollow and very powerful. And obviously, being such a strong guy, he has unbelievable acceleration with that light frame.

JD: Did you feel very personal about your racquet when you were on tour? Your racquet, those of your opponents, is this something you paid a lot of attention to?

JC: Not really. I wasnít that concerned about it. I figured, my racquet was my racquet, and I didnít worry too much about what the other guys were playing. I was just going myopically along. Andre, in his book, said that he would ask for racquets from players to sell them for his charity. And he would sell them for his charity. But first he would hit with them for a bitótest them out just to see what his opponents were using, just to see if he was missing anything.

JD: Oh, really?

JC: Yeah, Lendl used to do the same. Lendl would get racquets, say, whatever Mac (John McEnroe) or [Jimmy] Connors were using, and he would play with them to know what their racquets felt like. So if he could exploit any weaknesses in the racquet, he would have that information.

JD: Really?

JC: Yeah, itís a whole Ďnother level, isnít it? Itís like checking out the missile defense system of your opposition.

paulorenzo 09-10-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackcrawford (Post 6884228)
Between the two segments, about fifteen minutes. Of interest, he wishes he hadn't been stubborn and stuck with small head rackets because there is no advantage to a 90 over his new 102. He also says all recreational players should use poly in their stringbed, as at any swing speed it gives an advantage. Courier is one of the two best commentators on the pro game, an accomplished senior player as well as a former ATP #1, and his opinions on those subjects are at odds with many of the posters on these boards, but certainly carry more weight.
http://www.tennis.com/gear/2012/09/g.../#.UE1iy1F62Sq
http://www.tennis.com/gear/2012/09/g.../#.UE1iy1F62Sq

here's part 1. both links in the OP are the same. great find jackcrawford.

http://www.tennis.com/gear/2012/09/g.../#.UE2vpe0TPZk

paulorenzo 09-10-2012 01:25 AM

btw, the editor/interviewer's name first read as Deliciano to me. :)

realplayer 09-10-2012 03:15 AM

Jim Courier says Nadal plays with a very headlight racket compared to the norm because he needs to create head acceleration to do what he does and Federer on the contrary has a heavier racket in the head because he is driving the ball more through the court and he is an allcourt player so people at home can take a lesson from that.

Ok, can anybody explain what Jim is saying here cause Nadal has a racket with a much more higher swingweight(360 plus) than Federer(330 plus) and Federer has a much heavier and much more headlight racket than Nadal.

This sounds like the opposite of what Jim is describing??!!

MAXXply 09-10-2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinner (Post 6884515)
JC: Lendl would get racquets, say, whatever Mac (John McEnroe) or [Jimmy] Connors were using, and he would play with them to know what their racquets felt like. So if he could exploit any weaknesses in the racquet, he would have that information.

JD: Really?

JC: Yeah, itís a whole Ďnother level, isnít it? Itís like checking out the missile defense system of your opposition.


I like Courier's ability to throw in expressive turns of phrase like the bolded example above. He does enliven the commentary booth and has grown on me in recent years.

chippy17 09-10-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realplayer (Post 6884627)
Jim Courier says Nadal plays with a very headlight racket compared to the norm because he needs to create head acceleration to do what he does and Federer on the contrary has a heavier racket in the head because he is driving the ball more through the court and he is an allcourt player so people at home can take a lesson from that.

Ok, can anybody explain what Jim is saying here cause Nadal has a racket with a much more higher swingweight(360 plus) than Federer(330 plus) and Federer has a much heavier and much more headlight racket than Nadal.

This sounds like the opposite of what Jim is describing??!!

I would say he got it the wrong way round but I am an amateur...

maxpotapov 09-10-2012 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackcrawford (Post 6884228)
He also says all recreational players should use poly in their stringbed, as at any swing speed it gives an advantage.

Did he also mention how often they need to restring? Sounds like a bad advice to players who do not change their strings until they break and don't break poly strings ever.

ramos77 09-10-2012 05:20 AM

he has red hair..

close thread

Nostradamus 09-10-2012 05:47 AM

This guy is Genius. So All amateurs should use poly. I did not know that. i thougth it was mostly only for guys that likes to use lots topspin on their shots.

Which poly does courier use ?

pug 09-10-2012 06:00 AM

Excellent interview.

T21D 09-10-2012 07:10 AM

Great interview and input.

bjsnider 09-10-2012 07:36 AM

I watched this when it was posted on tennis.com, and I thought Courier's statement that he tells rec players to use poly is strange. The stuff dies after a few hours, and is hard on the arms. He should be telling people to use gut, dammit.

I'm also not sure I agree that the tennis is better now than it was, say, in the 70s. Those guys were surgeons. The racquets were scalpels. They weren't necessarily the fastest, fittest humans on earth by four thousand orders or magnitude, like today, but they didn't have to be.

The problem Jim identified, games over too fast, short rallies, happened after the end of the dead-ball era, and as a result of the abandonment of traditional equipment. So the solution was to also abandon traditional string?

There's a reason pickle ball has become so popular -- pickle ball courts are replacing tennis courts around here -- and I think if you look at how fast and heavy the ball is these days, I think you might have the reason.

Wilander Fan 09-10-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realplayer (Post 6884627)
Jim Courier says Nadal plays with a very headlight racket compared to the norm because he needs to create head acceleration to do what he does and Federer on the contrary has a heavier racket in the head because he is driving the ball more through the court and he is an allcourt player so people at home can take a lesson from that.

Ok, can anybody explain what Jim is saying here cause Nadal has a racket with a much more higher swingweight(360 plus) than Federer(330 plus) and Federer has a much heavier and much more headlight racket than Nadal.

This sounds like the opposite of what Jim is describing??!!

I am going to agree with Jim in that Nadal's racket is headlight. Ive played with the stock APDs and they are extraordinary headlight. If you lead them up, it just reduces swingspeed so its not a big improvement...still Nadal probably does lead them up somewhat or he would be push around all over the courts on returns.

realplayer 09-10-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilander Fan (Post 6885244)
I am going to agree with Jim in that Nadal's racket is headlight. Ive played with the stock APDs and they are extraordinary headlight. If you lead them up, it just reduces swingspeed so its not a big improvement...still Nadal probably does lead them up somewhat or he would be push around all over the courts on returns.

These are the specs of Nadal and Federer. Nadal is not playing a headlight racket with an almost even balance and an extreme high swingweight!!

Nadal = 335/33,8/365 sw

Federer = 360.5/31.6/330 sw

Nostradamus 09-10-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realplayer (Post 6885289)
These are the specs of Nadal and Federer. Nadal is not playing a headlight racket with an almost even balance and an extreme high swingweight!!

Nadal = 335/33,8/365 sw

Federer = 360.5/31.6/330 sw

335 is pretty low for a top tour level player. these guys do so much training that even at SW of 350, i was told racket feels like feather to them. Their Core and shoulder strength is very high. Us amateurs will never know that kind of strength and conditioning.

At 335, the racket must feel like ping pong paddle to nadal

realplayer 09-10-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 6885338)
335 is pretty low for a top tour level player. these guys do so much training that even at SW of 350, i was told racket feels like feather to them. Their Core and shoulder strength is very high. Us amateurs will never know that kind of strength and conditioning.

At 335, the racket must feel like ping pong paddle to nadal

weight is nothing. swingweight counts. Point is that Nadals racket is not headlight. period.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse