Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Ban Internet Anonymity (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=439420)

diggler 09-10-2012 07:02 AM

Ban Internet Anonymity

The internet brings out appalling behaviour. I think we would all be much better off if discussion boards such as this required people to use their real names. People wouldn't write such nasty crap if they were accountable.

Bartelby 09-10-2012 07:06 AM

Its a somewhat authoritarian request especially given that governments never respect things like free speech, privacy, etc.

spaceman_spiff 09-10-2012 07:08 AM

Why not just ignore what all those people are saying? You don't have to read their comments, and most of them are just trolling anyway. If you ignore them, they get bored and stop trolling.

r2473 09-10-2012 07:09 AM

You are correct. I joined a weightlifting forum where using your real name is a requirement. People are very respectful.

sureshs 09-10-2012 07:14 AM

In real-life, I am r2473

North 09-10-2012 07:20 AM

I post on a forum related to my profession where there used to be a lot of obnoxious bickering back and forth with a few known trolls who would start and endlessly post argumentative threads only tangentially related to the profession. Earlier this year, we were required to identify ourselves in all posts and the difference is dramatic. The level of discourse is much more respectful and the trolls disappeared.

The privacy issue is not insignificant, though.

Legend of Borg 09-10-2012 07:28 AM

My real life name is Big Bubba.

I bench twice my body weight and participate in the MMA.

Come at me bro.

jmverdugo 09-10-2012 07:28 AM

I think that for "Professional" forums it should be a must. In the case of TTW it may not be possible because there are young kids and that could cause problems, although I really do not care for those young posters, what is really annoying is the older ones that act like kids and fanboys.

ollinger 09-10-2012 07:35 AM

The OP fails to make the key distinction between "behavior" and "speech"......there is no "behavior" in the strict sense on the internet. In American society and elsewhere, nearly all speech is tolerated and one needn't be held accountable for one's speech, so anonymity is really not a problem. Behavior is an entirely different matter, something people typically can be held accountable for. There, anonymity can be a problem. As ever, the OP and everyone else is not obligated to look at any speech he finds offensive.

r2473 09-10-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6885101)
In real-life, I am r2473

In real life I'm r2743, but I want to remain anonymous on here.

RF20Lennon 09-10-2012 07:46 AM

LOL it would be hilarious if the pros had trolling accounts here

ollinger 09-10-2012 07:52 AM

The OP should also note that anonymity in realms of expression has a rich historical tradition, be it the chosen names of writers such as Mark Twain or Voltaire, or an artist such as Man Ray (his name interestingly derived from Emmanual Radnitzky). To suggest that this is an internet phenomenon is naive.

r2473 09-10-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 6885151)
The OP fails to make the key distinction between "behavior" and "speech"......there is no "behavior" in the strict sense on the internet. In American society and elsewhere, nearly all speech is tolerated and one needn't be held accountable for one's speech, so anonymity is really not a problem. Behavior is an entirely different matter, something people typically can be held accountable for. There, anonymity can be a problem. As ever, the OP and everyone else is not obligated to look at any speech he finds offensive.

How are you defining "behavior" in the strict sense?

I'm also wondering why one needn't be held accountable for one's speech.

Bartelby 09-10-2012 08:01 AM

America and some other Western nations have a long tradition of defining speech as subversive or terroristic in order to respect in a purely formalistic manner the ideal of free speech.

Peters 09-10-2012 08:20 AM

Hackers already have enough avenues to exploit in terms of identity, I ain't giving out my real name for online posting thanks very much. Plus forums have trackers and all sorts trawling them, so I'll have my views hooked up to all kinds of databases, etc.

Also, I don't agree with the notion there will automatically be more respect on forums with real identities. It all comes down to the quality of the forum. I already spend time on certain forums that are respectful and pleasant, and pretty much everyone uses anonymous forum names (not here obviously, but TT is a bit of a train wreck).

On the internet these days, the aim is to minimise your identity footprint as much as possible.

El Diablo 09-10-2012 08:25 AM

If "appalling" or "nasty" behavior were sufficient reason to require people to forfeit anonymity, we'd all be walking the streets with large nametags.

r2473 09-10-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Diablo (Post 6885250)
If "appalling" or "nasty" behavior were sufficient reason to require people to forfeit anonymity, we'd all be walking the streets with large nametags.

I beleive the OP is suggesting that IF posters were not allowed to remain anonymous, they would be more respectful. Not because posters are disrespectful, they ought to be forced to reveal their identities.

...but you already knew that, didn't you "El Diablo"

El Diablo 09-10-2012 09:41 AM

^^ If posters were forced to reveal their identities, there would be no forum. Who wants to explain time spent on this forum when applying for a job. "So, Mr. Breakpoint, if each post took a few minutes, it appears you've spent about 1700 hours, or about 70 days, 24 hours a day, posting on this forum. Is this a constructive use of time for you?"

Govnor 09-10-2012 09:43 AM

On a scale of 1-10. This site is about a 2 on the rudeness/obnoxious side, when it comes to posters. Very tame here. Which is fine by me.

r2473 09-10-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Diablo (Post 6885410)
^^ If posters were forced to reveal their identities, there would be no forum. Who wants to explain time spent on this forum when applying for a job. "So, Mr. Breakpoint, if each post took a few minutes, it appears you've spent about 1700 hours, or about 70 days, 24 hours a day, posting on this forum. Is this a constructive use of time for you?"

I'm not sure where to begin......