Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Coach Lendl did with Andy what Coach Connors couldnt do with Andy (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=439527)

fhdowntheline 09-10-2012 05:39 PM

Coach Lendl did with Andy what Coach Connors couldnt do with Andy

I am talking about Murray and Roddick, respectively of course!

I am impressed by Lendls demeanour in this ordeal (through the year). During the Wimbledon loss , he was stone cold while others in Murrays camp were sobbing their eyes out (no discredit to them).

With this win, he just stood and clapped and actually smiled for once.. Bet he's thinking, "one in the bag, more work to be done!".

Referring to my title, I think somehow Connors could not connect with Roddick in terms of his game. And perhaps Murray was also a more willing pupil.

Mustard 09-10-2012 05:40 PM

Roddick had peak Federer in his way.

Sreeram 09-10-2012 05:42 PM

I think Rodick achieved more for his talent. With just Serve and a mediocre ground strokes, he should be happy with what he has achieved.
Murray has talent and he needed a coach who can make him mentally strong. That is what Lendl did.

90's Clay 09-10-2012 05:43 PM

Roddick had Fed in his way, he also had perhaps a more deeper field I suppose then you have today.

Murray avoids both Fed and Nadal (which is a god send for him in a slam), and he just outlasts Nole who was having cramp issues.

joe sch 09-10-2012 05:44 PM

Connors and Gilbert are both great coaches, it was not them but Andy who was not ready. He is now. Congrats to the Murray Team !
Also, I do give Ivan much credit, he has done a superb job fitting in and helping Andy finish 2012 as the top winner.

sureshs 09-10-2012 05:45 PM

What exactly did Lentil do for him? Do Lentil's strokes have any relevance to the modern game?

flymeng 09-10-2012 05:45 PM

It was painful for Lendl to watch the finals. Muzza was 2 sets up and almost lost the match. Muzza has great respect and admiration for Lendl. Lendl fine tuned Muzza's game and mind. Kudos to Lendl and Muzza.

flymeng 09-10-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6889768)
What exactly did Lentil do for him? Do Lentil's strokes have any relevance to the modern game?

Evan make Lentil soup for Muzza. It is the breakfast of the USO champions.:)

slowfox 09-10-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6889768)

Camping out in the backhand corner blasting forehands all day. Didn't Lendl start that...?

sureshs 09-10-2012 06:05 PM

Murray found it (inside out forehand) out from Lentil? I don't think so.

JohnnyCracker 09-10-2012 06:13 PM

between Murray and Roddick it's a handicap to coach Roddick to begin with
i'm sure Connor would rather coach Murray

flymeng 09-10-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 6889924)
Camping out in the backhand corner blasting forehands all day. Didn't Lendl start that...?

Murray's game has gotten more aggressive with the forehand but he is still an opportunistic aggressor unlike Blake who is a fulltime aggressor. His mental toughness has improved ever since Lendl took over at the AO 2012. The semifinals against Djoker was an improvement even though he lost. He would have lost again today if his attitude was like 2011. I think Murray has so much respect for Lendl that it pushes his game to a higher level.

フェデラー 09-10-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard (Post 6889718)
Roddick had peak Federer in his way.

Lol this is too hard for people here to understand. The Federer of that 2006 Open final probably would have beaten either of these two in straights

martini1 09-10-2012 06:43 PM

I'm no Lendl expert, but it seems like Lendl could be one of the best mental strength coach right now. Murray's got the shots in the book to beat any of the top 3 (especially on a good day). He just didn't have the mental game to dash for the finish line at the end.

As for Roddick, I think he is more mentally psych out by Fed. He went there like 5 times (?) and got beat by the same guy over and over. Now if you count outside the finals there is even more lopsided. It is a lot tougher to do since I am sure they tried pretty much everything to counter Fed. The last Wimby match was very close, yes, close but yet so far. He folded at the end.

Plus Roddick doesn't have a lot of weapon nor defensive skills to get himself out of trouble. Not in post 2009 anyway.

atac 09-10-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by フェデラー (Post 6890192)
Lol this is too hard for people here to understand. The Federer of that 2006 Open final probably would have beaten either of these two in straights

Like he did a 35 year old Agassi, oh wait...

tistrapukcipeht 09-10-2012 06:57 PM

Lendl is forcing Murray to be more aggressive, and Murray is more talented than Andy Roddick by 100 times.

bjsnider 09-10-2012 07:03 PM

There's no comparison in terms of tennis talent. Murray is a tremendous player, one of the few on the tour who can play any style.

Roddick is limited by a poor backhand, poor return, poor defensive skills, poor speed.

kaku 09-10-2012 07:09 PM

Lendl made Murray more aggressive outside of 500/1000 events, something Murray fans have been wanting for years.

Joseph L. Barrow 09-10-2012 07:35 PM

If 2006 Federer were still around, Lendl wouldn't be able to get his charge a Slam either.

mistik 09-11-2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjsnider (Post 6890334)
There's no comparison in terms of tennis talent. Murray is a tremendous player, one of the few on the tour who can play any style.

Roddick is limited by a poor backhand, poor return, poor defensive skills, poor speed.

Couldnt agree more.Some stupid *******s has to stop promoting Roddick here.