Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   2012 NFL Season Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=439615)

stringertom 09-11-2012 04:04 AM

2012 NFL Season Discussion

I'm surprised to be the first to start a thread on the real American sports passion...I grew up on baseball but my first live football game converted me.

Anyway, Week 1 had some statement games, some impressive debuts and a couple of surprises. Niners in the NFC, Ravens in the AFC look very strong; RGIII doesn't look like a rookie, Peyton looks strong in his comeback; the Jets CAN score TDs when it counts.

Week 2 and Thursday night is a year-long proposition...the Pack must bounce back quickly or the dreaded 0-2 hole will have to be dug out from. Same for the Steelers...Gang Green invades the Ketchup Bottle.

Thoughts and observations, please...

double barrels 09-11-2012 04:31 AM

ravens-49ers is a possible superbowl if they stay healthy
my eagles didnt look too good offensively with 5 turnovers, 110 penatly yards, however their defense has now helped the birds when 5 straight games
falcons also looked really good, same with the bears too teams that could make noise in the nfc

Govnor 09-11-2012 06:03 AM

If there is one thing I've learned these last few seasons, it is this:

Forget about the first half of the regular season. It's all about who is finishing strong at the end of it and who can bring momentum into the playoffs.

That said. If I look into my crystal ball....certainly it looks like the 49'ers are going to be a very tough team to beat this year.

hollywood9826 09-11-2012 08:02 AM

I hope it aint 49'ers Ravens Superbowl. I hear enough about the Ravens as it is. The alst thing I need to see is 50 shirts in the bowling alley that say "Super Baugh 1" or some play on the Harbaugh's and the Super Bowl. Maybe I should just start making them now.

But with Flacco at the Helm Im sure they will lose in the playoffs again. I hope so becuase its really fun to talk smack to all the guys at the bowling alley if they happen to win the bowl.

stringertom 09-11-2012 10:24 AM

Yeah, I can see a large market for BroBowl jerseys & t-shirts...half purple/half red (yuk!).

They were both one game away months ago and nothing seemed weaker in Week 1 but it's way too early to win a championship. However, you can lose a title on any down in any game (read: key injuries).

krz 09-11-2012 10:49 AM

Same Old Bills.

we suck :(

stringertom 09-11-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krz (Post 6892355)
Same Old Bills

we suck :(

r u saying they are SOB's???

I'm a Jets fan and was indeed surprised we jelled so well in Week 1 after our atrocious preseason. How much was due to the Bills? I guess we'll see in Blitzburgh on Sunday. It's a national game, 2nd part of the CBS doubleheader. My Viking boss better get his fanny back to work to relieve me at 4pm!

Has anyone run a non-betting weekly pool on this board? If there's enough interest and everybody agrees to post just once each week with all their picks, I'll play. I'm a little cramped on time and computer access to run it but it's an idea if someone wants to take the ball. I get in a local $5 game so it might help me focus more sharply before the Saturday deadline (no Thursday games are included).

krz 09-11-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringertom (Post 6892437)
r u saying they are SOB's???

I'm a Jets fan and was indeed surprised we jelled so well in Week 1 after our atrocious preseason. How much was due to the Bills? I guess we'll see in Blitzburgh on Sunday. It's a national game, 2nd part of the CBS doubleheader. My Viking boss better get his fanny back to work to relieve me at 4pm!

Has anyone run a non-betting weekly pool on this board? If there's enough interest and everybody agrees to post just once each week with all their picks, I'll play. I'm a little cramped on time and computer access to run it but it's an idea if someone wants to take the ball. I get in a local $5 game so it might help me focus more sharply before the Saturday deadline (no Thursday games are included).

I wouldn't get too excited. It was the Bills, the perennial AFC East cellar team. Words can't express my feelings towards the Bills after that game.

1. Ryan PicksHatTrick... I'm sorry Fitzpatrick. My god is he bad. That pick to Cromartie... I mean what could he have possibly... I don't even know. 59mil for a pickle machine. Even sadder is that one of the few bright spots was that our O-Line played very well and he still threw 3 terrible picks.

2. That "Vaunted" defense line. Marcell Dareus, Meatball Kyle Williams, and our 100mil dollar man super mario. No pressure, 0 sacks. Really? I know we didn't blitz but, c'mon with what we are paying those guys we should be able to get at least a little pressure with a 4 man rush ala the Giants. I never would've paid 100mil to a guy who had his best season 5 years ago and then he complains about the refs and not calling illegal hands to the face? **Keyshawn Voice** C'mon man! We gave you 100mil do something!

3. Stephen Hill who I wanted the Bills to draft rnd2 this April shat all over us. Burned our #1 Gilmore on a double move.

4. If we don't give CJ Spiller the ball all game next week, Chan should be fired. Last season was the same problem. Our best players are both RB's and we dont' use them enough.

Have I mentioned how bad Ryan PicksHatTrick is? mother of god. I can't even begin to think about what Tom Brady would do to this team.

/end rant

same old bills.

GS 09-11-2012 05:26 PM

LET'S GO, FAIDERS!!!
Another pitiful year here. Glad the Niners are nearby.

Babolatbarry 09-11-2012 05:31 PM

Bucs shut down Cam Newton and the Panthers crazy double team rushing to 10 total yards! Wow!

drakulie 09-11-2012 05:40 PM

gavna 09-11-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6893462)

Hahahaha Never as long as Romo around.......

stringertom 09-11-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babolatbarry (Post 6893442)
Bucs shut down Cam Newton and the Panthers crazy double team rushing to 10 total yards! Wow!

That WAS impressive! Until they sell out the Pirate Ship, I won't see the home games here in Orlando so I'm hoping Buc Fever strikes the Bay ASAP. The "O" has to kick in for it to happen...Freeman/Jackson has potential.

Babolatbarry 09-12-2012 01:43 PM

Yes they do. Should have capitalized in the red zone. Only the first game though, our offense could use some work but a very good showing for the D on the first game.

anhuynh16 09-12-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krz (Post 6893328)
I wouldn't get too excited. It was the Bills, the perennial AFC East cellar team. Words can't express my feelings towards the Bills after that game.

1. Ryan PicksHatTrick... I'm sorry Fitzpatrick. My god is he bad. That pick to Cromartie... I mean what could he have possibly... I don't even know. 59mil for a pickle machine. Even sadder is that one of the few bright spots was that our O-Line played very well and he still threw 3 terrible picks.

2. That "Vaunted" defense line. Marcell Dareus, Meatball Kyle Williams, and our 100mil dollar man super mario. No pressure, 0 sacks. Really? I know we didn't blitz but, c'mon with what we are paying those guys we should be able to get at least a little pressure with a 4 man rush ala the Giants. I never would've paid 100mil to a guy who had his best season 5 years ago and then he complains about the refs and not calling illegal hands to the face? **Keyshawn Voice** C'mon man! We gave you 100mil do something!

3. Stephen Hill who I wanted the Bills to draft rnd2 this April shat all over us. Burned our #1 Gilmore on a double move.

4. If we don't give CJ Spiller the ball all game next week, Chan should be fired. Last season was the same problem. Our best players are both RB's and we dont' use them enough.

Have I mentioned how bad Ryan PicksHatTrick is? mother of god. I can't even begin to think about what Tom Brady would do to this team.

/end rant

same old bills.

I'm thinking that the bills get #1 pick next year and take either Logan Thomas or Matt Barkley- its them or the Cards.

volleygirl 09-12-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anhuynh16 (Post 6895919)
I'm thinking that the bills get #1 pick next year and take either Logan Thomas or Matt Barkley- its them or the Cards.

The Browns have to be the front runner for the worst record.

stringertom 09-13-2012 04:28 AM

What a way to start the weekly Thursday schedule...da Bears vs Cheeseheads!

This is must win territory for the Pack...0-2 and a loss to a divisional foe is hard to overcome. The secondary will be tested...Cutler/Marshall reunion in Chitown is potentially lethal.

The Pack in a shootout 80-point-total type of game NFL Network will love!

stringertom 09-14-2012 05:00 AM

No "O" slugfest but a much-needed win for the Pack. Man, if you told me the punter would match AR for TDs, I'm guessing da Bears win.

DRII 09-14-2012 08:44 AM

Eagles fan here!

Hoping Vick finally gets some protection show he can show off his skills and not get hurt...

PureAlph4 09-16-2012 09:25 AM

Wow - can't believe Brees just threw that pick 6. Really uncharacteristic.