Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What about the wind makes Djokovic's game go really south? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=439709)

RCizzle65 09-11-2012 01:00 PM

What about the wind makes Djokovic's game go really south?

We saw it against Ferrer, and we saw it in the first couple of sets against Murray. It has to be all mental, right? I mean, he has great footwork, and while he does play somewhat aggressively, he plays with lots of margin as well, so it's not like his shots should be flying everywhere. I think he set his feet too early and not able to adjust for the incoming balls, so I guess it kind of messes up his footwork, but he just seemed like he wasn't interested in either match.

Mainad 09-11-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCizzle65 (Post 6892754)
We saw it against Ferrer, and we saw it in the first couple of sets against Murray. It has to be all mental, right? I mean, he has great footwork, and while he does play somewhat aggressively, he plays with lots of margin as well, so it's not like his shots should be flying everywhere. I think he set his feet too early and not able to adjust for the incoming balls, so I guess it kind of messes up his footwork, but he just seemed like he wasn't interested in either match.

Wasn't interested in defending his USO title? I don't think so.

PhrygianDominant 09-11-2012 01:16 PM

Djokovic doesn't like to look bad. The wind makes him look bad. It's a downward spiral...

clayman2000 09-11-2012 07:35 PM

Djokovic redirects the ball better than anyone in mens tennis. Its the reason why hes about the only guy to get Rafa to run out of gas during a match.

Wind gets in the way of that.

Also traditionally (outside of God-mode 2011 Djoker) he has been a guy who can go through patches of lots of UE's and that also worsens during wind.

PCXL-Fan 09-11-2012 07:41 PM

Smaller cranial size.

Less room to develop a large motor and optical cortex needed to quickly process the multiple variables needed to play optimally in the wind.

The larger the rear of the head is the more adept the subject is at tasks relating to hand eye coordination full body coordination and calculating movement of the ball because of wind.

Tony48 09-12-2012 09:18 AM

Like what I posted in another thread: it's a mind-f**k for him. He doesn't like it and when your brian is out of order, everything else tends to go south as well.

Tcbtennis 09-12-2012 09:39 AM

Although Djokovic is an excellent mover and gets in perfect position to strike the ball, he has difficulty in the wind because his feet are planted too soon. He does not adjust for the last second movement of the ball due to the wind because he is set too soon. As a result he is off balance when he strikes the ball. He needs to keep his feet moving with those tiny adjustment steps until the last second.

Breaker 09-12-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcbtennis (Post 6895018)
Although Djokovic is an excellent mover and gets in perfect position to strike the ball, he has difficulty in the wind because his feet are planted too soon. He does not adjust for the last second movement of the ball due to the wind because he is set too soon. As a result he is off balance when he strikes the ball. He needs to keep his feet moving with those tiny adjustment steps until the last second.

This could also relate to his overheads..along with the gumby arms of course. Federer, Nadal, Agassi, Hewitt, Ferrer, even Murray do seem to use those adjustment steps a lot more and are/were far less affected by the wind. Djoke's almost reliant on his ridiculous flexibility when it comes to difficult shots rather than conventional footwork though still he's one of the best movers ever, maybe just works against him in wind and even grass a bit where the footing isn't as secure.

Sentinel 09-12-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCXL-Fan (Post 6893753)
Smaller cranial size.

Less room to develop a large motor and optical cortex needed to quickly process the multiple variables needed to play optimally in the wind.

The larger the rear of the head is the more adept the subject is at tasks relating to hand eye coordination full body coordination and calculating movement of the ball because of wind.

Great point.

Do you think Nole's was having issues with shoe grip. He seemed to be falling a lot. Or is that also a result of a low IQ due to smaller brain?

jokinla 09-12-2012 10:51 AM

It was hilarious, he looked like a giraffe on ice skates trying to hit the ball sometimes, not sure why he was so off, I guess they don't allow wind in Serbia.

underground 09-12-2012 11:44 AM

LOLs at the pun, neither Berdych nor Djoker could serve properly from the Southern end.

Backhanded Compliment 09-12-2012 02:28 PM

I just played 2 tough sets in some wicked wind and I started to feel Novak's problems acutely.

For example, what should have been crosscourt flattened out forehand winners got pushed wide and stretched against forward momentum shots (change of direction stretch) almost made me fall over because the wind would give an unexpected push. Those are two things that are central to Novak's game.... keeping impossible balance and painting the lines.

That and the fact that the player with the most versatile slice backhand has an advantage hitting into the wind was also a factor. Murray does have more variety of spins than Novak.

Overall it is a lot more work and if you are fussy about precision.

RCizzle65 09-14-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 6892804)
Wasn't interested in defending his USO title? I don't think so.

Did you watch him play? He definitely looked out of it when the wind was blowing.

pound cat 09-15-2012 03:49 AM

See the new thread above on the "Protestant wind" for further details about the wind.

Russeljones 09-15-2012 04:41 AM

The ("modern") court speeds usually favour Djokovic but in the wind against a resourceful opponent like Murray it really worked against him. He couldn't think of a way to end the rallies as Murray flat out refused to take chances. This led to some ridiculous shots that acted as approaches and his net play was exposed. The overheads remain a glaring weakness and Murray's level just didn't drop the way he (Djokovic) might have expected it to after the conclusion of the 4th set.

ramos77 09-15-2012 05:07 AM

A southerly breeze...

Bhagi Katbamna 09-15-2012 10:22 AM

The problem is that he cannot go for the corners like he usually does.

Murrayfan31 09-15-2012 10:36 AM

The problem is Murray is a bad matchup for him. End of thread.

RCizzle65 03-26-2013 06:53 PM

A somewhat windy match against Haas in Miami, and he's hitting wayyyy too many unforced errors, it has to be more mental than his footwork or something...

bigserving 03-26-2013 07:24 PM

Not too sure about matches in the past, but that was a pretty obvious tank job tonight against Haas.