Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   I love techno (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=439807)

TennisLovaLova 09-12-2012 06:00 AM

I love techno

Hi

Anyone who wants to discuss techno music here on the fofo are welcome to post right here in this thread

We can also exchange links to download the latest livesets if you want
I have lots of sets from Richie Hawtin, Jamie Jones, Seth Troxler, Maceo Plex and Art Department.

We can also share our club experiences

Dilettante 09-12-2012 06:10 AM

Techno is overrated.

Weak era.

Power Player 09-12-2012 06:44 AM

The term techno is still used?

Are you talking about House, DNB, dubstep (hopefully not), synthwave, ambient, minimal..etc?

TennisLovaLova 09-12-2012 06:48 AM

^techno is still the general term to talk about techno music and club culture
house, minimal, deep house, trance are all techno music

Power Player 09-12-2012 06:51 AM

We call it Electronic here.

TennisLovaLova 09-12-2012 07:20 AM

So what do u like?

NickC 09-12-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 6894582)
The term techno is still used?

Are you talking about House, DNB, dubstep (hopefully not), synthwave, ambient, minimal..etc?

He's talking about Techno as in the genre of music, not the umbrella term incorrectly used to describe all forms of electronically-produced dance music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 6894598)
We call it Electronic here.

A more useful umbrella term, but one that still isn't very good. I'd call pop, hip-hop, and rap electronic too, because they all use the same pattern for drums, use the same VSTs during production, and are written, produced, mixed and mastered using the same programs that one would typically associate with modern dance music.

NickC 09-12-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dilettante (Post 6894509)
Techno is overrated.

Weak era.

Agreed..........

Power Player 09-12-2012 09:13 AM

Actually no he explained that he uses the term to describe all kinds of EDM, see post 4.

You went hardcore into music producer mode rather fast..lol. I see you are still doing it, thats a good thing. Make sure to balance that cave time with the DAW with some tennis time outside. It really helps to have that balance.

Music has nothing to do with what tools are used though. Literally nothing. It's all about sound and everything else is the journey to that sound that no one cares about except people who are learning to produce.

As for me, I currently like Kastle, Com Truise, FM attack, Tycho to name a few.

TennisLovaLova 09-12-2012 09:49 AM

What kind of sound do they play or produce?

Power Player 09-12-2012 09:55 AM

Just go check it out man..lol. It's electronic music.

NickC 09-12-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 6894944)
You went hardcore into music producer mode rather fast..lol. I see you are still doing it, thats a good thing. Make sure to balance that cave time with the DAW with some tennis time outside. It really helps to have that balance.

Hell yeah I'm still producing. I haven't made any Electro-bangers as of late, I've been focusing more on finding my own sound instead of trying to make the next big-room anthem. Right now that sound is either disco or house music that's literally as many different kinds of percussion as I can squeeze into the mix. No bass, no lead, no nothing. Just boring, static, house with about a dozen different kinds of percussion. Regarding the disco, I've taken a page out of Tom Terje's book and tried to make entire tracks out of just one VST to beef up my sound design skills. And yes, it all still sucks. Royally. I'm thinking of switching up my setup and starting fresh, basically ditching all my VSTs and getting Reason and slaving it to Live. Any suggestions?

As for the tennis time, I wish!! I don't have my stuff with me at school and I'm already working out a ton; lifting every day, biking 5+ miles a day and swimming a few thousand yards per week. I wish I could play more tennis though.

Quote:

Music has nothing to do with what tools are used though. Literally nothing. It's all about sound and everything else is the journey to that sound that no one cares about except people who are learning to produce.

As for me, I currently like Kastle, Com Truise, FM attack, Tycho to name a few.
Truth. Since I'm still learning to produce

Power Player 09-12-2012 12:05 PM

Yeah it can get really overwhelming with all the vsts and plugs..etc. From what you are doing, it sounds like maybe getting a sampler like an MPC would be an awesome investment. Just to be able to load all your samples on those pads, be freed from the computer and only have the filters in the device to sculpt sound can be incredibly inspiring. Also the feel of the drums from the mpc is so good..perfect timing with feel.

I love hardware so much for making tracks. If I get a chance to sit down and write now, I always come up with better ideas chilling on my sofa with a bass or drum machine then being in work mode on my computer.

nalvarado 09-12-2012 12:17 PM

I also enjoy house/edm/techno/whatever you want to call it these days. Mad Decent is at the forefront of everything in my book. Dillon Francis and Raf Riley are downright excellent.

NickC 09-12-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 6895416)
Yeah it can get really overwhelming with all the vsts and plugs..etc. From what you are doing, it sounds like maybe getting a sampler like an MPC would be an awesome investment. Just to be able to load all your samples on those pads, be freed from the computer and only have the filters in the device to sculpt sound can be incredibly inspiring. Also the feel of the drums from the mpc is so good..perfect timing with feel.

I love hardware so much for making tracks. If I get a chance to sit down and write now, I always come up with better ideas chilling on my sofa with a bass or drum machine then being in work mode on my computer.

Yeah I tried out the MPC, I found it more suited to hip-hop though. Still an awesome little tool for cutting stuff up, however. I'll get one at one point or another. I too enjoy hardware, I have a little 25-key MIDI controller that I sometimes take out and turn off my screen and just mess about. I'd like to, at some point, get a real hardware synth and just record stuff straight off that.

TahoeTennis 09-12-2012 01:11 PM

80s/90s techno/electronic > horrible Dubstep stuff these days

r2473 09-12-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisLovaLova (Post 6894587)
I love techno

I love little baby ducks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_WAPkhQzUI

(and "music when it's good")

Power Player 09-12-2012 04:13 PM

There is a lot of good music being made in the electronic genre. The movement back to the 80s synth era is awesome. Of course i have always loved jan hammer soundtracks, and the miami vice soundtrack..lol. It is just good melodic composing. I hate dubstep and feel like that is what people think of right now when they think of electronic.

NickC 09-12-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 6895882)
There is a lot of good music being made in the electronic genre. The movement back to the 80s synth era is awesome. Of course i have always loved jan hammer soundtracks, and the miami vice soundtrack..lol. It is just good melodic composing. I hate dubstep and feel like that is what people think of right now when they think of electronic.

Interesting take. I don't personally like much dubstep, (although one track I have in my set is xKore - Last Words, which is quite good) simply because it lacks dynamics and originality. Nowadays it's just throw a vowel filter on the chain after FM8, Zebra or Massive and (then smash it to pieces through a pirated copy of Ozone) see what comes out. I dig older dubstep that was around 5-6 years ago, mainly because it was almost all rhythmic and didn't really have anything huge about it, just a bassline and interesting percussion.

I agree about the movement back to the 80s in terms of style is awesome, I've been digging lots of stuff by FutureCop! at the moment (check out the MPM remix of their track "starworshipper") as well as Tesla Boy, FM Attack, et. all. For me, though, I'm really into French House and have been doing my fare share of digging (Ourvais, Cherokee, etc...) which is always fun.

And there's always Eric Prydz, who NEVER disappointing. But he's a genre of his own.

Leelord337 09-12-2012 06:27 PM

I'm more of a fan of the older trance and electronica stuff too like ATB, Darude, DJ Sammy, Robert Miles, Paul Oakenfold, Tiesto,.. but yeah now I also like some Futurecop mixes..and some Skrillex too among others.