Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Dampener - use (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=439823)

arun_mrk 09-12-2012 07:43 AM

Dampener - use

I have been playing tennis for about 6 yrs and have never should a dampener. However, I see all of my partner use it.

Now, my question is,

Should I start thinking about using a dampener?

Is dampener really useful considering all the improvement that had happened in the racquet technology that happened?

I was following the pro in US open to see what the pro do and found some pro use and some doesn't use dampener.

ArliHawk 09-12-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun_mrk (Post 6894725)
I have been playing tennis for about 6 yrs and have never should a dampener. However, I see all of my partner use it.

Now, my question is,

Is dampener really useful considering all the improvement that had happened in the racquet technology that happened?

I was following the pro in US open to see what the pro do and found some pro use and some doesn't use dampener.

It's all personal preference. I prefer to use a dampener, but I know plenty of people who don't. If you've been playing 6 years and surviving without one, I'd say you are okay.

willlee 09-12-2012 08:32 AM

I started playing tennis without dampeners and have since switched to using them. It probably depends on your racquet but with my Radicals I notice a pretty significant change in the way they play with and without dampeners. Without the frame feels more hollow on impact and produces a slightly pingy sound. With the dampener the feeling is more muted/solid and produces a thwack. I use the Sampras 'O' dampener btw. Try it out and see if you like it. They are not too expensive even if you decide its not for you.

floide 09-12-2012 08:42 AM

It depends on the frame I'm using. Used them on my BLX Pro Staff 90, Head Ti.Fire, Radical Twin Tube and Prince Graphite Comp, but can't use with my new Prestige IG Pro, as I'm satisfied enough with the feel and the possibility of muting it creeps me! Too bad, because I kinda like dampeners, got some real cool looking ones in my bag.

Ramon 09-12-2012 08:57 AM

It's been debated whether or not dampeners have any benefit for your arm. I think the general consensus, based on recent studies, suggests that the effect is very little or none (most likely, none). After trying every type of dampener on the market and surrounding my strings with dampeners on all sides, I've come to the same conclusion.

I can think of 3 valid reasons to use dampeners:

1) Mute the sound of the strings. The benefit is either that the user will be less distracted by variations in the sound of the strings or that the opponent will not be able use the sound to help him judge the type of shot that is being hit to him. I think most players didn't even know it was a problem until someone pointed it out to them.

2) Feel (subjective). Another poster commented on how he preferred the feel of his racquet with the dampener. Others will say that the feel is more muted with a dampener, and not better. Manufacturers are coming out with "custom" dampeners to dial in the preferred level of dampening. I think the benefit here is minimal at best. Again, the feel without the dampener probably didn't bother you until someone pointed it out.

3) Vanity. Notice how we are seeing dampeners in bright colors, smiley faces, and "cool" logos? This is definitely becoming a bigger factor. If people will buy them, why not?

bugeyed 09-12-2012 11:04 AM

You could study the physics & theories of how a dampener works & then try to understand what that would mean to your game or personal preferences. Or! It's not such a big deal to try one, is it? If you don't like it or don't see a difference, get rid of it. It's not going to change the way you play. IMO

Cheers,
kev

schap02 09-12-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun_mrk (Post 6894725)

Now, my question is,

simple answer - personal preference

mykoh 09-12-2012 11:01 PM

love em, cant play without them. know someone else that cant play at all if there's something on his strings. like the replies before me, personal preference.

fortun8son 09-13-2012 12:17 AM

I use them as a giveaway for clients.
They can use them or not... mostly, they use them.

Radicalized 09-13-2012 03:00 AM

They simply don't have enough mass to protect your arm if that is what one thinks. They affect the sound the strings make at contact, and to some small part, the feel. How much that "feel" is or is not needed in your game is a personal thing. I use one because I am (prehaps too much) tuned into the sound the strings make. Simply, I prefer it "muted."

For anything beyond that, you'll need to do something like change the strings in some way, weight the racquet, or soften up the grip.

As someone noted above, they've become something of decoration. I'm sure players would use all kinds to suit their interests if more were available.

jwbarrientos 09-13-2012 11:49 AM

To OP, if you never used a dampener why you should start?

Anyhow, if you start let me tell you that those little things are addictive :P

aced_Tezuka 09-13-2012 04:47 PM

Try it and see what happens. I always play with one though. Ping is way too annoying for me.

ArliHawk 09-13-2012 07:45 PM

My two favorite are the Babolat Loony Damp Goldfish and Prince Beast. Both are great, so they might be worth a try.

GenesisTurbo 09-13-2012 08:27 PM

like all the other users said it's all personal preference...
i have always used one, my favorites are Smiley face and Head Djokovic Falcon. I found that i hit more solid with one on.

fortun8son 09-13-2012 11:30 PM

Among the cheapest are the Tourna Sampras rings.
They work as well as any and better than some..

Ramon 09-14-2012 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 6898676)
Among the cheapest are the Tourna Sampras rings.
They work as well as any and better than some..

The Tourna Sampras dampeners are also among the lightest at about 1.5 grams. I think the only way to go much lighter is with a rubber band. Some dampeners weigh 4 grams or more. 4 grams is the equivalent of 8 inches of 1/2" lead tape!

SuperJimmy 09-14-2012 08:44 AM

If you use the Sampras 'O' dampener, it will automatically raise your NTRP by 1.0!

But seriously, I use it because I can't stand the ping sound the string makes on contact. So having it on removes that annoyance.

darklore009 09-23-2012 04:25 PM

It just a matter of personal preference. I like the long dampener. Like Wilson shock trap or prince nxg. The small ones tend to fly out of the court and I end up loosing them.

bkpr 09-27-2012 08:18 AM

I use the rubber band method. I tend to slide the knot up and down between the bottom cross and the throat of the racquet to 'dial in' what feels of sounds best for me at the time. Occasionally I'll pull it out altogether and play a while without, but I tend to go back.

robbo1970 09-27-2012 08:21 AM

I am switching from a heavy control orientated racquet to one that is much lighter and is therefore considered a power racquet. I never used a dampener on the heavy racquet because when I had the energy to weild it, it was very good in terms of feel.

However, with the lighter power racquet I find that I am prone to over-hitting and feel I have lost some of the feel I had with the heavier racquet. Due to my ability, light is the way forward for me, but I wondered if anyone else found they needed a dampener to calm down a power racquet but not for a control racquet?