Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Roger Federer, an introvert???? Vote and give your reasons for voting (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=439880)

Tennis_Maestro 09-12-2012 03:37 PM

Roger Federer, an introvert???? Vote and give your reasons for voting

I find this quite remarkable and am actually in a state of shock.

How this guy can ever be interpreted as being an introvert, I will never know, but one poster in another thread has suggested Federer is quite clearly an introvert.

I jus cannot see this, what do you guys think?

For me Roger Federer is the best player to give interviews, he is articulate, engages with the interviewer, shows eye-contact, shares a joke and acts very calm and looks much as ease whilst effortlessly showing charm. Surely anyone who feels this guy is introverted is absolutely insane...?

Federer is probably one of the most down-to-earth World number 1s the game has ever had. Not every player needs to be like Aggasi to be regarded as an extrovert.

EDIT: Before voting please remember you are not basing this on his "on-court" domineer.

PS: Breaker (Mr Moderator) .. please do not delete my thread, there are several or so trolls lurking across this forum every day making useless threads which you do nothing about, I feel this makes a good discussion. Thanks.

Tennis_Maestro 09-12-2012 03:45 PM

You know what I honestly feel? You guys want to believe he is an "introvert" so you can feel you relate to him more. In the end that's what draw's people into becoming fans, not jus their appreciation for the entertainment value they bring to a sport, but also that ability to relate to the sports-athlete. I've opened your eyes a bit to another way of looking @ Federer as a person and its hurting you, atleast that's how it's coming across looking @ the unclassy reaction.

WhiskeyEE 09-12-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis_Maestro (Post 6895822)
You know what I honestly feel? You guys want to believe he is an "introvert" so you can feel you relate to him more. In the end that's what draw's people into becoming fans, not jus their appreciation for the entertainment value they bring to a sport, but also that ability to relate to the sports-athlete. I've opened your eyes a bit to another way of looking @ Federer as a person and its hurting you, atleast that's what I feel.

Funny, I thought the same about you. I know what I believe. I don't need to start a poll to reinforce my opinion.

Tennishacker 09-12-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeyEE (Post 6895810)
You are clearly an extrovert my friend. Most introverts aren't this stupid.

Too funny!

Pwned 09-12-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis_Maestro (Post 6895803)

How this guy can ever be interpreted as being an introvert, I will never know, but one poster in another thread has suggested Federer is quite clearly an introvert.

For me Roger Federer is the best player to give interviews, he is articulate, engages with the interviewer, shows eye-contact, shares a joke and acts very calm and looks much as ease whilst effortlessly showing charm. Surely anyone who feels this guy is introverted is absolutely insane...?

Federer is probably one of the most down-to-earth World number 1s the game has ever had. Not player needs to be like Aggasi to be regarded as an extrovert.

PS: Breaker (Mr Moderator) .. please do not delete my thread, there are several or so trolls lurking across this forum every day making useless threads which you do nothing about, I feel this makes a good discussion. Thanks.

Those are not determiners of an extrovert.

Djokovic is an extrovert. If you can't see the difference then you are blind.

Tennis_Maestro 09-12-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeyEE (Post 6895826)
Funny, I thought the same about you. I know what I believe. I don't need to start a poll to reinforce my opinion.

Not reinforcing, simply trying to get a general consensus of things. I always deemed Federer as an extrovert and I've never gathered the feeling anyone would deem him anything other. So this is to get the a feel of the consensus. I won't be changing my opinion, I can assure you of that, perhaps re-evaluating, but not changing.

PS: I'm not fan-boy of his, read my signature.

Hood_Man 09-12-2012 03:51 PM

A lot of famous actors and performers are introverts. Introverts can be incredibly outgoing at parties or social events, they just want to go home straight afterwards.

How someone performs in an interview or in a media event, has no bearing on their personality.

Tennis_Maestro 09-12-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pwned (Post 6895828)
Those are not determiners of an extrovert.

Djokovic is an extrovert. If you can't see the difference then you are blind.

Djokovic is an extrovert, but you don't have to act all flamboyant and pantomime villain like to be an extrovert, Djokovic jus so happens to be this way on court.

Again, it seems you guys are confusing a player's "oncourt" domineer for their actual "personalities".

Tennis_Maestro 09-12-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hood_Man (Post 6895836)
A lot of famous actors and performers are introverts. Introverts can be incredibly outgoing at parties or social events, they just want to go home straight afterwards.

How someone performs in an interview or in a media event, has no bearing on their personality.

So what you are saying is Federer is a performer? He performs in-front of the camera? This natural calmness and effortless way of being very informative and opinionated is all a show, its something he'd rather do more without and instead be off playing husband and daddy @ home?

I have NEVER seen someone ENJOY giving an interview as much as I have Federer, he genuinely enjoys giving them.

Hood_Man 09-12-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis_Maestro (Post 6895844)
So what you are saying is Federer is a performer? He performs in-front of the camera? This natural calmness and effortless way of being very informative and opinionated is all a show, its something he'd rather do more without and instead be off playing husband and daddy @ home?

No.

10Nos

90's Clay 09-12-2012 04:00 PM

Arrogant, aloof, introverted, stubborn.. Definitely doesn't strike me as someone who came from humble beginnings and was the most down to earth guy you would ever meet

Tennis_Maestro 09-12-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hood_Man (Post 6895845)
No.

10Nos

Well help me out here, you jus said, I'll quote..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hood_Man (Post 6895836)
Introverts can be incredibly outgoing at parties or social events, they just want to go home straight afterwards.

...explain to me where you get this feeling^ from? All the interviews I've seen him give, he's looks like he is relishing the moment.

Tennis_Maestro 09-12-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 6895848)
Arrogant, aloof, introverted, stubborn

On-court, may be. Ofcourt, not in the slightest.

90's Clay 09-12-2012 04:03 PM

I always connected with the type of guy like Djoker.. You can tell he came from more humble beginnings and was more of a guy you see that came from a war-torn country like Serbia.. He seems WAY more down to earth then someone like Fed.

Fed strikes me as someone who grew up well to do, with a silver spoon in his mouth from the minute he was born.. I could never connect with anyone like that

Hood_Man 09-12-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis_Maestro (Post 6895849)
Well help me out here, you jus said, I'll quote..

...explain to me where you get this feeling^ from? All the interviews I've seen him give, he's looks like he is relishing the moment.

Introverts aren't just quiet people, they can talk for hours and hours. Once you find a subject that interests them it can be difficult to get them to be quiet :p It's just the small talk that can be tricky.

For example, a tennis player talking about tennis.

Pwned 09-12-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis_Maestro (Post 6895842)
Djokovic is an extrovert, but you don't have to act all flamboyant and pantomime villain like to be an extrovert, Djokovic jus so happens to be this way on court.

Again, it seems you guys are confusing a player's "oncourt" domineer for their actual "personalities".

Nobody on here knows Federer. How would you know his personality away from the game?

Hood_Man 09-12-2012 04:08 PM

I don't know if Federer is an Introvert or not by the way. In fact I'm kind of leaning towards "not."

[EDIT]

It's not a case of having to be in one group or the other mind, I'm sure most people have some traits from either group.

timnz 09-12-2012 04:09 PM

Surprising post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis_Maestro (Post 6895803)

Federer is probably one of the most down-to-earth World number 1s the game has ever had. Not player needs to be like Aggasi to be regarded as an extrovert.

EDIT: Before voting please remember you are not basing this on his "on-court" domineer.

This is a very surprising post for a number of reasons.

1/ It implies that being an introvert is a bad thing. Like being a bore or socially incompetent. Being an introvert can be a really good thing.

2/ What has being articulate got anything to do with being introverted or extraverted? Introversion and Extraversion refer to the context in which you regain emotional energy. Introverts like having time by themselves and extroverts need other people to feel re-energized. But this says nothing about their ability to converse or be articulate.

3/ Where does it say that Federer is an introvert to start with? (If somewhere it does - then being an Introvert is not a bad thing - it is a good thing). I highly doubt that Federer is an Introvert - but not for the reasons you are giving but because he seems to be energized being around people.

Can I highly recommend the watching of this TED video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0KYU2j0TM4

Note the speaker - despite being an introvert is quite articulate. It's really informative about introversion in an engaging way.

norbac 09-12-2012 04:09 PM

You can really tell it's the week after a Slam, huh?

smoledman 09-12-2012 04:32 PM

Federer grew up in a middle class household. No silver spoon! In fact it's Nadal who grew up in riches.