Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wilson H19 and Pro Stock Blade (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=439912)

Big John 09-12-2012 06:51 PM

Wilson H19 and Pro Stock Blade

Over the past couple of years, I've owned and hit pretty much every retail Wilson there is and almost all of their pro stocks. I'm pretty much done the same with Head as well. I won't bore you with the list, just want to share my conclusions and ask some questions related to these if I may?

My 'favourite' Head pro stocks have been the much vaunted pt57a, pt57e, pt161 and tgk 269.1. I love serving with the pt57e, love hitting groundies and the general feel of the pt57a and really like the heavy ball from the 161 and 269.1. I'm still leaning toward an extended open pattern pt57a in theory at least being my ultimate stick but as I have to use Wilson, have been looking for the Wilson equivalent.

My Wilson search is pretty well up to date and includes open pattern custom drilled Juice Pro's, open pattern h22's, numerous 6 1 95 and Classic pro stocks in various patterns and layups, the Dimitrov 93 and the Federer Stock 90.

Most recently I came across some pro stock XL Blades in open pattern. There seems to be some confusion identifying the h19. From what I can see, the difference between the Blade and the h19 is most obvious from the rounded edges on the outside of the head of the blade. Is that correct? Does the h19 have more of a square beam?

Any idea what pro/pro's may use/have used this Blade racquet?

Have to say that this Blade may well be for me at least, the best yet. Lovely combination of flex, spin and power. A bit like an open pattern pt57e perhaps, a very good compromise on a lot of fronts.

Further to this, has anyone out there hit an open pattern h19? Is there anyone on your that uses such a racquet? Effectively it would be the Wilson equivalent of the Andy Murray open pattern pt57a but with a slightly stiffer head?

Has anyone out there hit the open pattern blade/h19/h22? What were your impressions?

Has anyone out there hit with the Janko Tipsarevic stick? Sounds from what I've read a bit like an open pattern pt57e also?

I'm a little confused with this H22 racquet. For a racquet with a flex of 64, it plays much stiffer than that. Doesn't feel anything like a radical to me, may look like one but flexes quite differently to me? I understand that there are different layups of this racquet where some are quite flexy? There must be because the ones that I have hit feel very stiff and almost harsh when I've hit with them? Has anyone else had this experience?

Please let me know your thoughts, I'd love to hear others experiences with these racquets.

Big John 09-15-2012 02:45 PM

Does anyone out there have any experience with the h19, h22 and h25? Are there different layups of the h22?

Particularly interested in Frederico Gil's racquet and Gulbis' racquet, believe the latter is an h22 in tight pattern?

There are clearly more blade pro stocks in play out there than I thought, the h22 had significantly more pop in my opinion, both open pattern in the ones I hit.

The key question, does the h19 in open pattern exist and if so, has anyone seen or hit with one?

dr325i 09-15-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big John (Post 6901508)
Does anyone out there have any experience with the h19, h22 and h25? Are there different layups of the h22?

Particularly interested in Frederico Gil's racquet and Gulbis' racquet, believe the latter is an h22 in tight pattern?

There are clearly more blade pro stocks in play out there than I thought, the h22 had significantly more pop in my opinion, both open pattern in the ones I hit.

The key question, does the h19 in open pattern exist and if so, has anyone seen or hit with one?

19 and 22 are 18x20. H19 is 21mm beam, H22 is 22mm beam.
I am not sure about the H25.
I am sure there are a few layup variables to accommodate different players. H22 reminded me of the PT57E, more powerful though. The H19 was a stab at PT57A, though, I never liked it...

Big John 09-15-2012 07:28 PM

Thanks Dr. I think this H25 is going to fairly stiff. The h22 must come in different layups. The ones I've hit are pretty stiff, can feel a few twinges in my elbow! Djoko's must have been on the flexier end, someone like Gulbis stiffer?

Anyone know of a Wilson pro that used a 100 head flexy stick? I can't think of any.

Nobody has seen an open pattern h19?

I think these Wilson pro stock questions are the toughest as there are so few players that Wilson will custom make a stick for. Head seem a little more accommodating in that regard?

Manaldo 09-16-2012 08:45 AM

i have a H22 and a PT57A both with open pattern. The H22 center 8 main strings are very tight while the outer strings are very open from the visual check, Wilson saved 2 main strings from the outer area obviously. the PT57A 16*19 mains looks much better than that, but the crosses are much tighter than H22.
just hit the H22 with the champion choice once(47/45), the first impression was a little stiffer than PT57A, but not very sure on that because the PT57A was strung with poly/syn gut and tension was very low(low 40s), i will strung PT57A with the same string & tension and see the difference. The other difference was the H22 sweet point is smaller(potential reason may be different customization or string distribution)

Big John 09-16-2012 04:55 PM

That's fascinating Manaldo, thanks for your insight. I'm doing this digging to try and find the best setup for an ATP player. I'm pretty sure now that there are different layups of the H22, Djokovic's and Gulbis' must be different stiffnesses. I think Gulbis H22 is stiffer like pt57e and these other ones that flex more around 59 or so must be flexier layups.

The three H22's in open pattern that I own flex at 64 but play much stiffer than that would suggest. Stiff head with resultant small sweetspot but a serious cannon when you find it!

The pt57a's that I own are much softer, buttery soft. One of the best feeling racquets that I have ever hit. Almost completely different from my H22's. Underpowered versus almost babolat powered, chalk and cheese really. Massive spin from the h22 though and a seriously heavy ball!

My Blade pro stocks are more pt57e like than the h22's, you can feel the racquet flex in the throat and the head doesn't feel as stiff. Next stop h19, which I hear has a slightly stiffer head than the pt57a and is hence more powerful but I suspect at the cost of having a smaller sweet spot?

mpournaras 09-16-2012 05:00 PM

Anantak2k has some extended pro stock nBLades (18x20) I would contact him

Big John 09-16-2012 05:26 PM

I own two pro stock BLX Blade XL pj's that are brand new in open pattern and have another coming that I bought the other day from Stein in tight pattern so I think I've got the blades covered.

I'm more interested in buying open pattern h19 XL's and open pattern h22's in the softer flex in XL. If anyone has any, I've got heaps of pro stocks to trade or would be prepared to buy outright. I think I own or have hit just about everything else?

Big John 09-16-2012 05:42 PM

Problem with these pro stock blades is that they are filled with foam. Not a lighter layup, hence pretty heavy in the head and light in the handle. Got that butt cap or whatever it is with the two holes in it like the retail, maybe need to take that off, scrape out some foam and put in some silicone, then put some lead on the head. Problem is, racquet will then be getting heavy but we'll see how it goes..

Anyone out there customised one of these?

Manaldo 09-16-2012 06:52 PM

Big John, i found the same problem in my H22, the foam in the handle and no way to customize, plan to switch the replacement grip to leather to see the result first.

Big John 09-16-2012 07:44 PM

I put some more silicone in the handle of my H22, there had been some taken out by the previous owner. I still find my h22 to be on the heavy side, there is a fair bit of weight in the head, I think maybe because of the thicker beam?

I've just scraped out some foam from the handles of my Blades. These racquets feel as though they would benefit from some lead at say 8.30 to 10.30, so will weight up the handle enough to do that and hopefully get the balance to something a little more head light. A head light h22 XL in open pattern would be awesome, such a powerful stick! Imagine serving with it.. :)

Big John 09-18-2012 10:44 PM

Get my pro stock Blade XL in tight pattern today. The rounded beam makes this clearly different from the H22 and h19. Can we give this thing a name, there seem to be a few about. It is clearly pro stock as it is XL, Pblade? :)

It is 339 strung with an over grip and 33 balance with a leather grip and an over grip at 70 cms long..

Big John 09-18-2012 11:09 PM

Silicone in the handle, different butt cap from the other ones I have..

Fed Kennedy 09-18-2012 11:28 PM

Pics would be good

Big John 09-19-2012 01:35 AM

I'd love to post pictures but it still says to me that I can't post attachments?:???: How many posts before you can post pictures? If someone can email me at jh at geq.com.au I'll email them and maybe they can put them up?

aimr75 09-19-2012 03:13 AM

John, you can send them to me if you like. Cheers

aimr75 09-19-2012 03:29 AM

Here are the pics

Big John 09-19-2012 03:51 AM

Thanks Tony, very kind of you. The racquets at the top and the bottom are the obviously the open pattern, the one in the middle is the tight pattern. Will restring the tight pattern one tonight and take it for a bash tomorrow, will report in my results..

Has anyone else out there hit this pro stock blade and compared it an h19? It is much more flexy than my open pattern h22 which plays much stiffer than the 64 flex that comes up on the RDC..

I'd also love to hear from anyone that has hit the flexier h22 and the h19 and compared them. From what I can gather, the h19 is like a pt57a with a stiffer head, sounds a bit like a pro stock Tecnifibre like a Verdasco or a Vliegen? I found them to have quite small sweet spots and be pretty unstable? I have a couple of Tommy Haas test Dunlops that were similar, quite a strange racquet? Srichaphan's Yonex's were a bit the same?

Manaldo 09-19-2012 07:06 AM

Hi John, which one is H22 with open pattern? i guess the bottom one...

Big John 09-19-2012 03:53 PM

Sorry Manaldo, my H22 open patterns are out on loan. :) I should get them back on Friday? Will take some pics then and email them to Tony..

They are kblade paint jobs and have squarer 22mm beam and although they flex at 64 like my blade pro stocks, the blades feel much more comfortable to play with, h22 has a raw, very crisp feel, the blades feel more cushioned and flexy. Amazing spin from the h22, remarkable actually, especially on drop shots. The ball feels like it has more 'dwell time' on the strings in the blade. Maybe this whole flexy throat stiff head thing producing more spin is correct but it certainly doesn't feel as nice and punishes mishits?

Looking forward to hitting the tight pattern pro stock blade today.. :)