Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Head Pro Stock Really Worth It? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=439984)

JDMasFCK 09-13-2012 10:26 AM

Head Pro Stock Really Worth It?
 
Hey guys, planning on getting a Head TGT 293.2, and was wondering if they were really worth it? Like is there a night and day difference between the TGT 293.2 and the retail frame Youtek IG Prestige MP? Currently using the retail Youtek IG Prestige MP and was wondering how much different the pro stock is. Also say for example if I were to get the TGT 293.2 (not the XL version, the regular length) and I took off all the lead in the grommet and leather grip and tried to match the specs of the pro stock to the retail Youtek IG Prestige MP, would there be a clear difference between them despite the fact that I tried to make both rackets the same? Also wondering what benefits the Pro Stock has over the regular retail frame.

Thanks a bunch

rlau 09-13-2012 10:38 AM

Pro stock frames often have different flex ratings and flex points compared to regular retail frames. Also, the layup may be different. So even with identical weights, swingweights and balances, a pro stock frame and a retail frame will probably feel and perform slightly different.

Blaxican10s 09-13-2012 10:51 AM

I don't think they are worth the ridiculous amounts that people pay for them. Especially for the average rec play who is about a 3.5 level player. Sure they're softer but they don't make you play any better.

movdqa 09-13-2012 12:37 PM

Reasons for getting pro stocks:

- You want matched frames
- You want a lighter hairpin to work with
- You like the way they are set up
- They were used by your favorite pro
- You want something to hang on your wall
- You want characteristics that are hard to find in retail racquets that you can find in a specific pro stock
- You want extended length frames
- You want a molded or articulated grip
- You want a heavier version and don't want to put silicone and lead in yourself
- You have 1,000 shares of Apple or Google and you need to do something with your profits from Mr. Bernanke's comments today

ART ART 09-13-2012 01:18 PM

Reasons for getting pro stocks:

Some people want to make good money without much effort...

"...a fool and his money..."

movdqa 09-13-2012 02:48 PM

I don't know about that. Selling Pro Stocks seems to be a moderate amount of effort and you do take some amount of pricing risk as we've seen most of this year.

ART ART 09-13-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movdqa (Post 6898090)
I don't know about that. Selling Pro Stocks seems to be a moderate amount of effort and you do take some amount of pricing risk as we've seen most of this year.

Let me say just this: All racket brands, give a lot of rackets for free to players.

One just need to know one or more players with contract, and ask them for some "free" rackets, and put them on sell on every site ...

This costs nothing!
This hasn't got any risks!

terg 09-13-2012 03:45 PM

Pro stocks are overrated.
Especially the tgk and tgt from head. They are just lighter hairpins of the retail model, nothing more nothing less.
I'm not talking about special racquets made for murray, djoko etc. that's a whole different story.

aimr75 09-13-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terg (Post 6898180)
Pro stocks are overrated.
Especially the tgk and tgt from head. They are just lighter hairpins of the retail model, nothing more nothing less.
I'm not talking about special racquets made for murray, djoko etc. that's a whole different story.

for the most part yes, though there are some out there with different drill patterns.. like the Berdych and Cilic frames

movdqa 09-13-2012 05:34 PM

There's no retail counterpart for the Cilic frame, correct? And it's supposed to be quite soft.

aimr75 09-13-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movdqa (Post 6898321)
There's no retail counterpart for the Cilic frame, correct? And it's supposed to be quite soft.

I thought it was the MG Radical MP mould with a 16x19 pattern

Not sure what the flex is for the MG Rad MP, but yeah, ive heard the Cilic frame is soft, pt57a soft

movdqa 09-13-2012 05:51 PM

> I thought it was the MG Radical MP mould with a 16x19 pattern

Could be. That was before my time.

> Not sure what the flex is for the MG Rad MP, but yeah, ive heard
> the Cilic frame is soft, pt57a soft

That's what Vidda said and he's sold a ton of them so he should know.

aimr75 09-13-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movdqa (Post 6898341)
> I thought it was the MG Radical MP mould with a 16x19 pattern

Could be. That was before my time.

> Not sure what the flex is for the MG Rad MP, but yeah, ive heard
> the Cilic frame is soft, pt57a soft

That's what Vidda said and he's sold a ton of them so he should know.

Yeah, i have a 231.3 coming in, so will see if it is as soft as pt57a's as ive used them before

JDMasFCK 09-13-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terg (Post 6898180)
Pro stocks are overrated.
Especially the tgk and tgt from head. They are just lighter hairpins of the retail model, nothing more nothing less.
I'm not talking about special racquets made for murray, djoko etc. that's a whole different story.

What do you mean my "lighter hairpins"? Also what are the differences between the PT57a and the TGT293.2? Currently debating between those two. Trying to find both in the Youtek IG Prestige paintjob and 18 x 20 string pattern

sureshs 09-13-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ART ART (Post 6897962)

"...a fool and his money..."

.... are soon partying

movdqa 09-13-2012 07:31 PM

> What do you mean my "lighter hairpins"?

The hairpin is the racquet frame not including bumper, strings, pallet, grip, buttcap. Pro Stocks have lighter hairpins to give you more flexibility in building a frame.

> Also what are the differences between the PT57a and the
> TGT293.2?

tgt293.2 is the pro stock version of the IG Prestige MP. The PT57a is from the Prestige line but far more flexible than recent retail frames.

> Currently debating between those two. Trying to find both in the
> Youtek IG Prestige paintjob and 18 x 20 string pattern

The 293.2 should cost you a lot less.

You will not find the 293.2 in Youtek though - I think that the 293.2 is one of those frames where the paintjob is part of the code. Just like the tgk238.4 only comes in YT Prestige MP paintjob.

Big John 09-13-2012 07:50 PM

I have a feeling that Cilic 231.3 might be similar to the 269.1 (Pro Stock Youtek Radical Pro) around that 58/59 flex mark. Major difference is the squarer beam on the Microgel's compared to the Youtek. The 260.2 (pro stock Youtek Radical MP with open pattern ie - Berdych) seems to be a bit stiffer. I think that the 233.1 (Pro Stock Microgel Radical Pro) and 231.1/2/3 are very much under rated by many. The 233.1 in particular has a larger head (I think in reality perhaps a 104 inch head?) and with its stiffer frame and the really open pattern from the larger frame and thin beam is a relatively unique racquet.

The subsequent Radical Pro's have smaller heads, the 260.4 (IG Radical Pro) seemed to me to have very little pop, was quite underwhelmed by it. Felt more like a prestige than a radical to me, maybe it is the capped bumper messing with my head? :) The lower swingweight in comparison to the Youtek certainly made it a racquet more people could use, but it doesn't seem to hit that heavy ball that the Youtek did?

JDMasFCK 09-13-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movdqa (Post 6898478)
> What do you mean my "lighter hairpins"?

The hairpin is the racquet frame not including bumper, strings, pallet, grip, buttcap. Pro Stocks have lighter hairpins to give you more flexibility in building a frame.

> Also what are the differences between the PT57a and the
> TGT293.2?

tgt293.2 is the pro stock version of the IG Prestige MP. The PT57a is from the Prestige line but far more flexible than recent retail frames.

> Currently debating between those two. Trying to find both in the
> Youtek IG Prestige paintjob and 18 x 20 string pattern

The 293.2 should cost you a lot less.

You will not find the 293.2 in Youtek though - I think that the 293.2 is one of those frames where the paintjob is part of the code. Just like the tgk238.4 only comes in YT Prestige MP paintjob.

Thanks a bunch! :D

teatennis 09-13-2012 10:06 PM

yes he was the best player

Hotrocks 09-22-2012 11:38 AM

Pro stock/Retail?
 
I have 3 Pro Stock 238.5 TKG's, weighted up as the retail version, 325 strung and 6pts. head light. I also have the PT630, I-Prestige, You-Tek and 4 IG prestige pro's. I have to say the IG Prestige(stock) plays better than the pro stock frames, my opinion only as we all differ. I fail to believe by adding lead in the hoop area has more integrity than a racquet with same manufactured weight. Manufacture weight meaning all the materials(graphite, etc) combined / lead on the hoop and silicone in the handle. Most pro's use racquets in excess of 325 grams, so why not customize from there, much stronger frame. Just my thoughts as we all have different tastes & feel.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse