Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Agassi Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440031)

Big John 09-13-2012 08:54 PM

Agassi Racquets

I started playing tennis again probably say 10 or 15 years ago and the racquet I used at the time was the Liquidmetal Radical OS. The pros at the club I hit at were huge Agassi fans and that was the latest in the retail line of racquets I guess that was most similar to what he endorsed at the time.

Following this was the Intelligence Radical OS from memory, then maybe the Flexpoint Radical OS. Not sure what happened after that, my experience with these racquets stopped at the Intelligence model.

From another thread, apparently this is the order -

260 (yellow and black),
then the gray and yellow Twin Tube,
then the gray, yellow, and red twin Tube(the pic is earlier in the thread),
then the Head Radical Ti,
Intelligence Radical,
Liquid Metal Radical,
Flexpoint Radical, and since he has been retired I have seen the
Microgel and now Youtek Radicals.

Then a few years ago, Head brought out the Limited Edition Agassi Racquet, to mixed reviews it seems.

To cut a long story short, has anyone hit all or most of these racquets and which one is seen as the best model? Is it the Trisys 260? Has anyone really compared the LE with the 260? I understand that the quality control from Austria is/was vastly superior to the Chinese racquets, but practically speaking, is there that much difference if you got a few that were of similar weight from China?

I had a hit of dubs yesterday and if there is an easier racquet to volley with I would love to know what it is! The combination of a larger head with enough weight to know where the racquet is was wonderful, really enjoyed it.

scotus 09-14-2012 12:08 AM

Paint jobs.

Big John 09-14-2012 12:19 AM

Really? :) That's why I used the word 'endorsed'.. I do believe he used some form of OS Radical for most of his career and not too many others did, hence 'Agassi Racquets,' essentially his signature line of sticks?

I know a bloke who has a number of his actual racquets, and no, not the remake, some racquets he played with on tour. People seem to believe that it was a made in Austria 260 under the paint most of the time? I'm not so much interested in what he used, I can go and hit with those. What I'm interested in is which of the OS radicals in the learned opinion of some the experts on these boards is the best to buy and play with now?

I'm not Andre Agassi and wouldn't even attempt to play like him. I think he might have been on the right track with using such an easy to hit head size though for us mere mortals who haven't got the time, talent or inclination to hit as many balls as the pros. Particularly when overcoming poor footwork when attempting to serve volley at doubles, I need all the help I can get! :)

Vlad_C 09-14-2012 01:03 AM

I believe he played with the POG OS in the beginning, and later when he switched to Head he just asked them to replicate that.

Big John 09-14-2012 01:39 AM

It could well be, apparently Bolleteri's was sponsored by Prince at that stage? Not so much interested in what Agassi used, interested in how all of the various Radical OS racquets play! :)

Am getting my hands on a few over the weekend, will figure it out by myself in the absence of any help!

floydcouncil 09-14-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big John (Post 6898670)
Really? :) That's why I used the word 'endorsed'.. I do believe he used some form of OS Radical for most of his career and not too many others did, hence 'Agassi Racquets,' essentially his signature line of sticks?

I know a bloke who has a number of his actual racquets, and no, not the remake, some racquets he played with on tour. People seem to believe that it was a made in Austria 260 under the paint most of the time? I'm not so much interested in what he used, I can go and hit with those. What I'm interested in is which of the OS radicals in the learned opinion of some the experts on these boards is the best to buy and play with now?

I'm not Andre Agassi and wouldn't even attempt to play like him. I think he might have been on the right track with using such an easy to hit head size though for us mere mortals who haven't got the time, talent or inclination to hit as many balls as the pros. Particularly when overcoming poor footwork when attempting to serve volley at doubles, I need all the help I can get! :)

Go get an Austrian Radical Tour OS (black/yellow version) from E*bay for around $50 and you are set. They are very easy to find.

nycoara 09-14-2012 09:03 AM

LM paint

Pls check it out

This stick is Andre's LM paint @2004.

http://twitpic.com/7na5iv
http://twitpic.com/7na614

No clagetion, just paint like zebra,,lol

jokinla 09-14-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad_C (Post 6898699)
I believe he played with the POG OS in the beginning, and later when he switched to Head he just asked them to replicate that.

Yep, he played with the Prince Graphite at the start of his career, and it was great, I used it for years, still have some around somewhere.

Long Face 09-14-2012 09:57 AM

I have several Agassi racquets, such as Trisys 260 Bumblebee, Zebra, Ti Radical and liquid metal.

As a 4.5 level player, I like the Ti Radical the best, and am still using it from time to time.

The original Bumblebee is too heavy for me.

I Heart Thomas Muster 09-14-2012 10:32 AM

I've played with the Radicals since they first came out and my all time favorite is a tie between the Twin Tube Zebra looking model for its amazing feel and the Flexpoint Pro Tour model.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Revi...RTRReview.html

Those are GOAT-ish specs in my book.

Down_the_line 09-14-2012 12:08 PM

Before I started using the IG Speed I was using Flexpoint Radical OS's and I loved them. I've also played with the Ti. Radical OS's and a bit with the i.Radical OS's but the Flexpoints were my favourite.

Fed Kennedy 09-14-2012 01:07 PM

I believe at one point Andre had a custom 20x21 string pattern

Big John 09-14-2012 05:19 PM

Thanks so much for your input, much appreciated. It is funny that you mention the Flexpoint Radical Tour IHTM. That seems to have pretty much my ideal specs, 58 flex (pt57a like?), open pattern, 100 head size etc. It had been a while since I hit with the Agassi LE but it did feel a bit 'sluggish' from memory. I was worried that the larger head size would lead to a heavy swingweight on some of the OS racquets, a bit like the 269.1 (pro stock Youtek Radical Pro)? That is probably my ultimate stick but it has so much weight in the head that to get it down to my ideal balance it needs weigh about 360 grams, about 10 too much for me ideally.

I've actually got a Flexpoint Radical Tour that a mate of mine won his first futures tournament with who's gone on to much bigger and better things but funnily enough had never hit it, had always preferred to try pro stocks instead!

I'm going to change the pallets and cut it longer to probably 27.5 and take it to the court today in comparison to the Agassi LE, pt57a, h22, pro stock open pattern Blx Blade, Pure Control Plus and 269.1. What's the bet that like every other racquet, it will be great for certain elements but one of the others will better it in another and I'll just end up more confused.. :)

I'll report back with how I get on..

Big John 09-15-2012 04:47 AM

Got hold of a made in Austria 290 also, looking forward to putting it up against the LE model..

Big John 09-15-2012 03:37 PM

Thoughts on how best to string these racquets? Looks like rip control at 63 worked well 10 years ago, any thoughts for a more modern approach?

Ronaldo 09-15-2012 05:02 PM

Thought the LE is based on the Ti mold. Less refined than the previous Radicals or the i.Radical IMHO.

Blaxican10s 09-16-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fed Kennedy (Post 6899748)
I believe at one point Andre had a custom 20x21 string pattern

I think that it was actually a 21x22 pattern. :)

I Heart Thomas Muster 09-17-2012 10:14 AM

I'm currently playing with Youtek Radical Pros with half an ounce of lead tape under the grips and love the way they hit. That said if I found 4 new Flexpoint Radical Tours in 4 3/8 my Youteks would be history. The FXP Radical Tour hits a heavy ball and has great plow through. And it seems to spin the ball even better than my Youteks. I think you're gonna have some fun with it despite it not being pro stock. Good luck!

Big John 09-17-2012 03:47 PM

I like your thinking IHTM! The tgk 269.1 (Youtek Radical Pro pro stock) in slightly longer form is glorious, hits a massive ball with heaps of spin and volleys well too. I guess this is why Sharapova and others use it.. :) Sounds like we're on the same path.

My only issue is that it is a little too heavy in the head even without lead and has a very high swing weight. Love it for clay, just a bit too hefty for me on fast hard court?

You are spot on, this is the advantage of the Flexpoint Radical Tour. The 58 flex, hundred head and open pattern are pretty much perfect specs along with the head light balance. I'm going to lengthen one and compare it to the 269.1..

The 260.4 (IG Radical Pro) has a more headlight balance but has no pop at all! Still playing around with that, having a look this week at a tour player's setup with this stick and am going to try and replicate it, have failed miserably so far! :(

arrowtowntennisclub 09-17-2012 08:51 PM

i have a austrian trysis 260 OS and string it up with kirshbaum proline evo and 58/56. imo a crisper syn gut like OGSM strung around 62 or a crisper/older generation poly strung in the high 50s work really well with the bumblebee. not sure about the other versions though as it's the only OS radical ive owned. crushes the ball!