Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   armstrong atlantic (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440063)

ga tennis 09-14-2012 07:25 AM

armstrong atlantic

WOW!!! Coach Simon Earnshaw did it again. Its time for a big d1 school to give this guy a job. We played college tennis together and i knew then that one day he would be a great college coach.The guy has so much passion and is one hell of a recruiter. I just hope one day a big d1 program will give this guy a shot!!!

Clemson_tennis 09-14-2012 10:07 AM

I'd hire him today. AA is a great program

NickC 09-15-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 6899453)
I'd hire him today. AA is a great program

Yup, they're an awesome team. Their top 2 female players worked at my club as assistant pros this past year (and lived in my house's guest room) and they're top notch players. Their whole program sounds incredible, tons of national titles under their belt. If one coach is responsible for all this, he should be given a shot at the highest level.

JLyon 09-15-2012 11:06 AM

That is an awesome job he is doing there, being DII he does have the luxury of taking very good players who may not have been eligible for D1, but regardless the run AA has made over the last 5 years or so is amazing.

tball2day 09-15-2012 12:05 PM

NickC 09-17-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tball2day (Post 6901271)
Ok, I mean no offense, but I have never ever heard of this place and am simply asking, what did he do? Sorry,I'm too lazy to research this (USC/Stanford game on today so there are things to do!) so thought I'd just ask you. I found the schools website, but it was the first time I have ever seen that name. Am curious.....but have no idea what you are talking about.

Look them up. They're the most successful D2 program out there by a long shot. Sometimes they even beat solid D1 programs.

andfor 09-17-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickC (Post 6905078)
Look them up. They're the most successful D2 program out there by a long shot. Sometimes they even beat solid D1 programs.

That coach does it with mostly all international players. If he went to a DI school he'd likely do the same thing. Then it would **** a bunch of whiners off. Funny how there's no outrage against programs like this, Valdosta State and West Florida.

ga tennis 09-19-2012 06:19 AM

The reason there are no Americans hardly in d2 is because we as Americans think we are too good to play d2. I see this all the time with really good players from Georgia would rather play number 9 for UGA and never see any playing time rather than go d2 and get to play.Its a mindset we have that we have to play d1 or anything else vwill not be acceptable. SAD!!!

JLyon 09-19-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga tennis (Post 6908007)
The reason there are no Americans hardly in d2 is because we as Americans think we are too good to play d2. I see this all the time with really good players from Georgia would rather play number 9 for UGA and never see any playing time rather than go d2 and get to play.Its a mindset we have that we have to play d1 or anything else vwill not be acceptable. SAD!!!

BINGO!!!! Same reason smaller D1 schools also do not have as many Americans.

10isDad 09-30-2012 06:00 AM

My son's team played AA last year. They sat 2 of their top 6 and still wupped us soundly. I believe 6 of their top 8 had points at one time or another, with their #1 having played over 80 Futures and Challenger level matches. That player, Georgi Rumenov, just won 2 rounds in the Southern Intercollegiates playing in the D-1 division. He lost a hard-fought 3 setter to the D-1 preseason ranked #26 player 2-6, 7-6, 7-6.

cmb 10-01-2012 08:34 AM

they have too many foreigners

TopDawg 10-05-2012 07:24 PM

AA went 13-2 on Friday at the Bulldog Invitational playing against guys from Georiga & Furman.

AA write-up

Doubles
Dan Regan/Georgi Rumenov (AA) d. Garrett Brasseaux/Marco Nunez (UGA), 8-4
Alex Christ/Tyler Droll (FUR) d. Austin Smith/Eric Diaz (UGA), 9-7
Pablo Gor/Jaan Kononov (AA) d. Will Oliver/Casey Kay (UGA), 8-2

Singles
Matus Mydla (AA) def. Marco Nunez (UGA), 6-3, 6-7 (4), 7-5
Eric Diaz (UGA) d. Matus Mydla (AA), 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
Eric Diaz (UGA) d. Tyler Droll (FUR), 6-1, 7-6(7)
Georgi Rumenov (AA) d. Austin Smith (UGA), 6-1, 6-4
Georgi Rumenov (AA) d. Alex Christ (FUR), 6-1, 6-1
Matt Browne (FUR) d. Casey Kay (UGA), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
Jaan Kononov (AA) d. Will Oliver (UGA), 6-3, 6-2
Jaan Kononov (AA) d. Casey Kay (UGA), 6-1, 6-3
Pablo Gor (AA) d. Garrett Brasseaux (UGA), 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
Matt Browne (FUR) d. Pablo Gor (AA), 6-4, 6-4
Austin Smith (UGA) d. Tyler Droll (FUR) , 6-1, 6-4
Will Oliver (UGA) d. Ben Horst (FUR), 6-4, 7-5
Sven Lalic (AA) d. Ben Horst (FUR), 6-4, 6-0
Garrett Brasseaux (UGA) d. Sven Lalic (AA), 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (3)
Dan Regan (AA) d. Marco Nunez (UGA), 6-4, 6-1
Dan Regan (AA) d. Alex Christ (FUR), 6-3, 4-6, 6-4

gavna 10-10-2012 12:22 PM

Pathetic - not one single yank - Brit coach who brings in wave after wave of foreign players - everything that's wrong with NCAA tennis.

Oh and before I get slammed as a xenophobe I carry a French passport.

andfor 10-10-2012 01:31 PM

The only way to fix it will be to place limits on international allowed per team. I believe if that happens more programs will go away at a faster rate than they are today. Internationals Roster limitations will force coaches to get Americans to play. Many smaller programs can't get Americans to play today. NJCAA just started international limitations (2 per roster) this year. Lets see if it helps or hurts participation levels in a year or two. Will NAIA or NCAA adopt roster limitations? Doubtful.

I say why cry about it. There are so many programs that would love to have tennis players interested in them. But the smaller lesser know colleges have to settle on the internationals because many American tennis kids only want to go to big-time/BCS type schools.

floridatennisdude 10-10-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 6946528)
The only way to fix it will be to place limits on international allowed per team. I believe if that happens more programs will go away at a faster rate than they are today. Internationals Roster limitations will force coaches to get Americans to play. Many smaller programs can't get Americans to play today. NJCAA just started it this year. Lets see if it helps or hurts participation levels in a year or two. Will NAIA or NCAA adopt roster limitations? Doubtful.

I say why cry about it. There are so many programs that would live to have tennis players interested in them. But have to settle on the internationals because many American tennis kids only want to go to big-time/BCS type schools.

My prediction: NJCAA rules will lead to more foreigners in the NCAA

Any idea why I might think that? Hint: think Econ

andfor 10-10-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 6946557)

I agree with your prediction. International Roster Limitations would help to a small extent possibly allowing a boaderline American play at a top school every now and then, but only if adopted by all the colleges. It's not, so the NJCAA rule will push some of the better internationals that would have played NJCAA to 4 year schools.

floridatennisdude 10-10-2012 04:37 PM

Yea, it's not hard to envision.

Dream_On 10-11-2012 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 6946557)

All the NJCAA rule has done is weaken the teams in the NJCAA by about 100x, so much that the top 2 players on most teams are internationals that stayed from last year and are all the highest ranked (Baring a few american's that happen to be good and go to a juco out of circumstance) and 4 guys from the local HS tennis team which can hardly keep 4 balls in the court.

andfor 10-11-2012 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream_On (Post 6947665)
All the NJCAA rule has done is weaken the teams in the NJCAA by about 100x, so much that the top 2 players on most teams are internationals that stayed from last year and are all the highest ranked (Baring a few american's that happen to be good and go to a juco out of circumstance) and 4 guys from the local HS tennis team which can hardly keep 4 balls in the court.

This is what some folks want. I also predict that some schools will drop tennis because they can't field a full squad. But there are many who don't care if small college tennis goes away. They don't care as long as the internationals are limited and little Johnny gets to now play tennis at his dream BCS school. But guess what? Johnny still can't play at his dream BCS school, he's still not good enough and the internationals are still there. Meanwhile many smaller schools that could have used Johnny's tennis skills but were scoffed at by him, are left looking for tennis player to fill there line ups. And they look where they are apprieciated, internationally .

ClarkC 10-11-2012 04:22 PM

I bet a lot of the tennis parents who pay a small fortune for lessons, racquets, strings, shoes, travel, etc., and who typically come from middle class to upper class neighborhoods, are planning on having Johnny go to Armstrong Atlantic State for college. I hope the people on here who whine about it really would send their child there for four years. Otherwise, they are complaining on behalf of hypothetical children of other parents, based on the questionable assumption that the supply of domestic tennis players who really want to go to such schools meets the demand.