Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Little tip for anyone with achilles tendonitis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440089)

Torres 09-14-2012 11:28 AM

Little tip for anyone with achilles tendonitis

I had some achilles tendonitis recently and my physio suggested that you put some heel pads in your shoes when playing to lift the heel, it will reduce the amount of strain on the achilles.

It works well. I used the proper Sorbothane ones because they're firm enough to lift the heel sufficiently to stop the achilles over extending, rather than the foam heel pads that just turn to mush when you put your weight on them. Best to place them underneath your insole.

In fact the product description actually says;

SorbothaneŽ Heel Pads can also be used for the treatment of Achilles Tendonitis and other foot conditions, as well as preventing shin splints. SorbothaneŽ's total control top sheet contains advanced, antibacterial Nano Silver technology to kill bacteria on contact, wicking moisture away from skin and managing odour for optimal hygiene and comfort.

5263 09-14-2012 11:50 AM

thanks!,,,,,,

TennisLovaLova 09-14-2012 12:23 PM

Those are great.
I even use them on my city shoes it's awesome for the feet and the knees.

I had a serious achilles tendon problem 5 months ago: micro lesions of the tendon. 6 straight weeks with no activity
So my doctor gave me a training program called the Landberg protocol
It's an easy way for rehabilitation and also prevention
Basically you strech the tendon using a step in the gym and you put your feet on it then you put your weight on the heel to feel the calf and the tendon stretch
4 x 10 reps
Now I do it even before warming up as prevention

TennisLovaLova 09-14-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 6899709)
thanks!,,,,,,

Is that a fz6R on your avatar?

Devilito 09-14-2012 12:25 PM

i found something like this works very well
http://www.cepcompression.com/1935-R...e-Support.aspx

it's a mix between an ankle brace and compression sock. Very comfortable and you wear it with socks. The compression around the heel / achilles area works wonders

El Diablo 09-14-2012 02:47 PM

Your physio failed to explain that by wearing heel pads you allow the tendon to shorten for the period of time you wear them, which then leads to even greater stress on the tendon when you stop wearing them. No, the idea is to gently stretch the tendon before playing, not allow it to shorten (which is why women who wear high heels are so predisposed to achilles tendonitis).

Torres 09-14-2012 02:57 PM

No, she mentioned that as well but its not an issue in her view because its temporary and its only during movement that puts more strain on your tendon than normal anyway - a huge part of tennis is played on the balls of your feet and even with a split step you never really land on your heels - which is why Achilles tendonitis can be common.

The rest of the time you're walking normally in shoes and if you really want to be keen doing eccentric strengthening exercises of the tendon off a step etc

Bowtiesarecool 09-14-2012 03:16 PM

I heard playing barefoot and drinking lots of coconut water is the bee's knees for avoiding injury.

mikeler 09-14-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 6900037)
No, she mentioned that as well but its not an issue in her view because its temporary and its only during movement that puts more strain on your tendon than normal anyway - a huge part of tennis is played on the balls of your feet and even with a split step you never really land on your heels - which is why Achilles tendonitis can be common.

The rest of the time you're walking normally in shoes and if you really want to be keen doing eccentric strengthening exercises of the tendon off a step etc

Those heel cups definitely help.

charliefedererer 09-15-2012 07:29 AM

Most full length insole inserts have padded heel cups that slightly elevate the heel (as well as cushion) and more shallow areas under the ball of the foot.

Superfeet:

Sorbethane:

Torres 09-15-2012 07:46 AM

Interesting pictures Charlie, but the orange ones don't look like they elevate the heel much, if at all. For example there's a big dip in the orange one where the heel should be? Don't get me wrong, it would be convenient to have an integrated insole for this particular purpose but I always thought Superfeet were more for general foot support and things like plantar?

samarai 09-26-2012 07:51 AM

If you have chronic achilles tendonitis, best thing for you is to perform a regular regimen of concentric exercises for the ankle. It will strengthen the joint. I've always hated having supports because it gives you a false sense of security. Its ok but remember you still have an underlying problem to address. I sometimes chuckle at the supports I see people wearing on the courts. This one gentleman I started observing about 1 year ago first started with both TE supports, then he started adding bilateral knee supports, now he's got all of that combined with bilateral ankle supports. One day as we sat, he kept complaining of pain all over his body so I asked him if he was doing anything outside of tennis for exercise and was surprised when he said no. Well there lies the problem.

mikeler 09-26-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 6900950)
Interesting pictures Charlie, but the orange ones don't look like they elevate the heel much, if at all. For example there's a big dip in the orange one where the heel should be? Don't get me wrong, it would be convenient to have an integrated insole for this particular purpose but I always thought Superfeet were more for general foot support and things like plantar?

I can't speak for the orange, but the Superfeet Green were no better for my Achilles than the Dr. Scholls Sport Inserts which are 1/3 the price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samarai (Post 6920161)
If you have chronic achilles tendonitis, best thing for you is to perform a regular regimen of concentric exercises for the ankle. It will strengthen the joint. I've always hated having supports because it gives you a false sense of security. Its ok but remember you still have an underlying problem to address. I sometimes chuckle at the supports I see people wearing on the courts. This one gentleman I started observing about 1 year ago first started with both TE supports, then he started adding bilateral knee supports, now he's got all of that combined with bilateral ankle supports. One day as we sat, he kept complaining of pain all over his body so I asked him if he was doing anything outside of tennis for exercise and was surprised when he said no. Well there lies the problem.

Some of these guys come out on the court looking like Darth Vader!

Torres 10-01-2012 05:01 AM

Haven't felt any Achilles pain since using these Sorbothane heel pads, and I've been playing a ton in the last month. Lifting the heel definitely seems to help.