Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Finding my court sense after 20 years (practice set) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440148)

Greg G 09-15-2012 03:06 AM

Finding my court sense after 20 years (practice set)

Ugh. Played a practice set today, after forehand practice, and what stroke breaks down? The forehand :mad:

Was actually doing relatively well for the first 5 games, then a whole bunch of UE came up. Started with me getting pi$$ed off at my serving, which affected the rest of my game. I need to get fitter (am already a lot better than 2 months ago). But I kinda went away mentally, and that kinda burns more. :-|

I need to get more height on the rally balls, I am not getting enough time to recover.

Anyway, constructive criticism always welcome.

http://youtu.be/OsktX42zCH8

sundaypunch 09-15-2012 04:58 AM

You guys both look like decent players. Assuming you are the one in blue, your game is similar to how I feel about mine. Many of your problems are based on footwork. Part of this is fitness related as you mention. Part of this is because you often pause for a moment and watch your shot before you start to recover. This snowballs into being a little out of position for many shots. Before you know it, you aren't keeping the rally going long enough to win and feel like you are giving up easy points.

This is even worse when you play someone that makes you run. I noticed that the guy in red was hitting a lot of good angles. When I really concentrate on footwork I tend to play much better (duh..). I have a hard time keeping this up as I don't play nearly as much as I would like.

Limpinhitter 09-15-2012 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg G (Post 6900682)
Ugh. Played a practice set today, after forehand practice, and what stroke breaks down? The forehand :mad:

Was actually doing relatively well for the first 5 games, then a whole bunch of UE came up. Started with me getting pi$$ed off at my serving, which affected the rest of my game. I need to get fitter (am already a lot better than 2 months ago). But I kinda went away mentally, and that kinda burns more. :-|

I need to get more height on the rally balls, I am not getting enough time to recover.

Hey Greg, as you know, practice sets are just as important as drills. There were 2 things I could see from that view that I can comment on.

First, the quality of your shot preparation needs work. You seemed late on almost every shot, especially forehands. You were running into contact even when it shouldn't have been necessary because your preparation was late. On most shots, there's no reason that you can't be loaded up and ready to swing before the ball gets there. I don't recall seeing that once. Shot preparation is the missing element in the overall quality of your play.

I like this video (taken by our own Aimr75), because it's a close up, court level, view of what world class shot preparation looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6p5ZdGR4hU

Second, in the heat of battle, you reverted to that big loop on your forehand takeback. As you know, I would prefer to see you take your hand straight back (preferably at ball height), with the racquet head straight up at your head height. I think that will improve both your power, spin and clean ball striking.

But, even with the big loop, if your shot preparation is there, you'll still get much more consistent quality shotmaking.

Mick3391 09-15-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg G (Post 6900682)

You looked fine, not sure what you are getting at, I mean yea you have to work out the rust, I came back after along time with much rust, but it's like riding a bike, you don't forget. If it's been that long you are probably trying to adapt to a new racquet, moving, well it's just rust.

Greg G 09-21-2012 06:48 AM

yeeesh. 2-6 again! Loads of UE from the forehand. The prep on the backhand is much better, need to really work on the forehand preparation. Sometimes I don't think I even get turned!

Watching the video, I think I was the one on the losing end of 'Smart Targets' :???:

Had both racquets restrung after this, I think 2 month old Tour Bite is most likely dead. Anyway, i need a fresh start mentally too :)

http://youtu.be/ReDP-S8jQ8E

Limpinhitter 09-21-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg G (Post 6911795)
yeeesh. 2-6 again! Loads of UE from the forehand. The prep on the backhand is much better, need to really work on the forehand preparation. Sometimes I don't think I even get turned!

Watching the video, I think I was the one on the losing end of 'Smart Targets' :???:

Had both racquets restrung after this, I think 2 month old Tour Bite is most likely dead. Anyway, i need a fresh start mentally too :)

http://youtu.be/ReDP-S8jQ8E

I thought you looked a little better in this vid. Not as many off balance forehands. Still hitting forehands on the run when you could be set up better before the swing. I also think that you pull the trigger too soon on many points - coming to net from too far back. You need to be more patient (have more shot tolerance), and work the point longer to draw a short ball to attack. That way, you are either going for winners in the open court (if you get a high sitter), or you can make a more effective approach shot from closer in (for lower balls you have to take below the net).

FYI, it's 6-2, not 2-6. The winner's score always goes first.

As for string, I have found that Luxilon Adrenaline has great shelf life. It's slightly softer than Lux ALU Power, not quite as much spin. But, the feel is much more comfortable and, again, lasts longer before going dead.

NLBwell 09-21-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limpinhitter (Post 6911798)
I thought you looked a little better in this vid. Not as many off balance forehands. Still hitting forehands on the run when you could be set up better before the swing. I also think that you pull the trigger too soon on many points - coming to net from too far back. You need to be more patient (have more shot tolerance), and work the point longer to draw a short ball to attack. That way, you are either going for winners in the open court (if you get a high sitter), or you can make a more effective approach shot from closer in (for lower balls you have to take below the net).

The above is correct, but the alternative if you want to be aggressive is to be aggressive earlier and force the issue. Right now, you are not aggressive on your shots from the baseline, but then attack from a weak position. If you committed to being aggressive, you must hit more forcing groundstrokes to elicit the weak reply and then attack. These are not shots to win the point, but shots to get your opponent in a more defensive position - and then to attack and win the point. If you are coming back to tennis, I have a feeling that you used to have more aggressive groundies to set up your attack and are attacking at the time you used to do it, but not from the position you used to do it.

Larrysümmers 09-21-2012 11:03 AM

nice car though

tvu 09-21-2012 01:13 PM

It looks you are doing fine - if you are just coming back - You just need a bit of time to regain your footwork.

Maybe you give us a different angle on the video and zoom in a bit that would help.

I don't know how you two play - with the ballboy walking/moving in between points; that is just too much of a distraction.

Cheetah 09-21-2012 01:21 PM

You need to fix that takeback so that you can get more spin. You don't hit any wide angles and opponent was owning the middle making you run back and forth.

Didn't see any inside out fh's either :mad:

You go inside/in a little too much and when you do that you tend to not recover. you stay in the same area where you made contact. U need an i/o.

Your toss needs to be a good 6" minimum more out in front on first serve.

You need to step inside the baseline more. When you hit a good shot you should be expecting a weaker reply and be waiting inside the baseline or at least on the baseline. You seem to only move back and forth parallel to baseline and only step in on a very short ball. You should be more dynamic. Move in, move back, move at an angle, move sideways, move up, move up more, move at an angle etc. The whole purpose of the rally is to get a weak reply. You have to be looking for a weak reply every shot, then hurt them and then be ready to hurt them more. Your opponent is doing this. He's expecting a weak reply and waiting for it you can tell.

You need to change your running fh / wide fh shot a bit. On those shots you have to prepare the racquet higher and focus on hitting off the right leg. Watch any pro on a running fh. Racquet prep is very high. You need to use gravity for pace because you can't do a unit turn on those. You just run through the shot with regular prep. This produces a weak shot and carries you outside the court leaving you out of position and then you need extra steps to recover.

Your strokes look good though. (except running fh) :)

LeeD 09-21-2012 01:23 PM

Good stuff above.

Greg G 09-21-2012 01:54 PM

Thanks guys! The comments are spot on. I kept repeating myself to stop playing like a junior boy and have more patience during the point. There was one unrecorded set a month ago where I got to 5-2 then court time ran out >.<. That day, both groundies were on, I was getting more width instead of depth on them, and controlling the middle. Consequently, I wasnt hitting so many shots on the run. Hmmm perhaps he has adjusted a bit by going for more depth on rally balls and angles on short balls recently...

NLBwell- great insight there. I am playing my old game, the body is not delivering.

Working in the gym to improve the footwork/fitness. Although much better than 3 months ago, I still get too winded after a long point. After holding serve, I like had a streak of 3 UE to give away the next game!

Will see if I can do better today. Fresh string will give me a mental boost ;)

Cheetah 09-21-2012 02:06 PM

running fh
jeff salzenstein http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCQ4ty1HfcM
fyb will http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE7kI...eature=related

Greg G 10-17-2012 04:48 PM

Moving the doubles movement topic here.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg G (Post 6959635)
I guess it's like parking the car. I like smaller targets. Give me a wide open parking lot and I get confused on where to go. Drives my wife crazy :twisted:

Anyway, this is much better answered in video form. Sorry it's blurrier than usual. The attempts at IO forehands are in the 2nd half.

http://youtu.be/uD3wk4PI234

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 6959838)
I hope that's not you at net backing up more into no-mans land with each shot exchange:???:

Looks to me like you don't get around in good position for a I/O.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6959855)
Sometimes, when I play WITH a weak hitting, but consistent partner, I'll back up to behind center of service box to DARE the opponent's to hit to me.
My partner's puff balls that land at the service line are no incentive for me to poach, since I'd have to leave pretty early, exposing my alley. Most players at 4.0 have no problems keeping such sitters well wide of the center tape, and I get bored just standing useless in place.
Also, when the opposinig team is T ing off on my partner's shots, I'll either make a late poach or take 2 steps back and take a nap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 6960110)
As Lee said, I guess there are reasons to do it at times.
I just always wonder why guys start in there if they are just going to backup
as the play progresses. I don't think you can volley as well moving back.
Why not just start further back?

sorry...lol, not the point of the vid :)
I'll stop

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6960124)
No no, let's continue.
If your partner is pooping back sitters over and over, there comes a point when it's worthless to stand in, so you might as well concede the point.
Standing at center of service line makes you a huge easy target.
At least when you stand ON the service line, you have a chance to get a lucky reflex blocking shot to, hopefully, neutralize the point.
Question of opponent hitting offensive shots, your partner barely defending with weak crap, so what are you going to do?

5263 10-17-2012 07:30 PM

Hey LeeD,
you coming over here?
Nobody was trying to be mean, but just trying to stay more on topic.
Nice of Greg to point us this way.

5263 10-17-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6961629)
Lots of players separate court sense from player strokes, but the two go hand in hand,

What do you do? You can tell your partner to hit harder. You can run around your side of the court senselessly, hoping to distract your opponent's. You can backup to a safer defensive position, which is being done.
Which to choose?

Of course, all the elements of tennis go hand in hand, but threads need to stay
on topic where they can.

How is backing up into no-man's land a safer position?
The name is for a reason, right? Worst area on the court.

Greg G 10-17-2012 08:37 PM

We're talking about the point where I got forced back by a lob over the backhand right? I was trying to get back to the baseline but didn't quite make it. But in general, I do need to move further forward after the first volley.

And Lee, my partner was a solid player. Just less mobile due to age. Maybe thats why he prefers the service line area. First time we played together. :)

5263 10-17-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg G (Post 6961925)
We're talking about the point where I got forced back by a lob over the backhand right? I was trying to get back to the baseline but didn't quite make it. But in general, I do need to move further forward after the first volley.

And Lee, my partner was a solid player. Just less mobile due to age. Maybe thats why he prefers the service line area. First time we played together. :)

I was not sure which was you, but one guy started backing up on the first shot,
and continued a few steps back with each pass of the ball.

Greg G 10-18-2012 03:22 AM

I'm in the solid blue rafa shirt and white shorts :)

Relinquis 12-27-2012 07:37 AM

i'm not a coach or anything, but it looks like you stop between strokes, i.e. you don't split step, or get ready for the shot as your opponent is hitting the ball.