Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Opponent leaves to grab burger after first set. Rule? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440180)

HunterST 09-15-2012 10:09 AM

Opponent leaves to grab burger after first set. Rule?
 
I was at a tournament last week, and the tournament provided hot dogs and hamburgers for a picnic lunch. A guy I knew was down there playing a match, and he narrowly won the first set. His opponent then ran off court and said he was going to go grab some of the lunch. The guy went and ate a burger, which took about ten minutes and came back. During the next set, he left DURING a game to take a bathroom break.

I was pretty shocked and thought there must be a rule to address it. I told my friend he should just go report that the other player defaulted, but wasn't sure if that was how it worked. Anyone know?

anubis 09-15-2012 10:22 AM

You have at least 90 seconds, and at most 5 min from what I remember.

JLyon 09-15-2012 10:58 AM

He is has 2 min to be ready to play after the break otherwise it becomes Time Violations and then Code for Delay of Game

Big_Dangerous 09-15-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterST (Post 6901113)
I was at a tournament last week, and the tournament provided hot dogs and hamburgers for a picnic lunch. A guy I knew was down there playing a match, and he narrowly won the first set. His opponent then ran off court and said he was going to go grab some of the lunch. The guy went and ate a burger, which took about ten minutes and came back. During the next set, he left DURING a game to take a bathroom break.

I was pretty shocked and thought there must be a rule to address it. I told my friend he should just go report that the other player defaulted, but wasn't sure if that was how it worked. Anyone know?

Wow that's hilarious.

BRB going to grab a burger, haha!

IA-SteveB 09-15-2012 07:17 PM

Your friend should have dropped anchor himself during a set.

r2473 09-15-2012 08:01 PM

Was it a Big Kahuna burger?

'cause I hear they got some tasty burgers.

KineticChain 09-15-2012 08:38 PM

nalbandian was a known burger sneaker between sets back in the day before.. THE INCIDENT

Ronaldo 09-15-2012 08:42 PM

Took a Krispy Kreme break after the 1st set of USTA League district playoffs years ago Pounded two cups coffee too. Bonked in the 3rd set. No super-tiebreak then.

NTRPolice 09-15-2012 11:02 PM

First time ive heard that lol.

I have heard people ask for points for less. I heard some lady ask a roaming official if her opponents getting a bandaid out of her bag during a match was worth a point.

If this burger situation happened to me id honestly get out on court and just stare at the guy. Either he has to put it down after taking a few bites, or hes going to have to shove it down his throat. I think you win in either of those cases lol.

floridatennisdude 09-16-2012 04:02 AM

Odd and funny scenario. Not your typical mid-match snack. And then another potty break following the burger break...awesome.

Your buddy could have notified an official if he wanted to. 10 minutes is too long to take. Not sure if it's 2 or 5 mins between sets that a player can take, but it isn't 10. It is supposed to be enough time to allow a bathroom break between sets.

If my opponent wanted to hammer down a burger mid match, I'd let him. It would be interesting to see if hed puke or not.

tenniscasey 09-16-2012 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 6902241)
Odd and funny scenario. Not your typical mid-match snack. And then another potty break following the burger break...awesome.

Your buddy could have notified an official if he wanted to. 10 minutes is too long to take. Not sure if it's 2 or 5 mins between sets that a player can take, but it isn't 10. It is supposed to be enough time to allow a bathroom break between sets.

If my opponent wanted to hammer down a burger mid match, I'd let him. It would be interesting to see if hed puke or not.

In some older and junior divisions, it actually is a 10 minute break, according to Friend at Court.

Tar Heel Tennis 09-16-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenniscasey (Post 6902249)
In some older and junior divisions, it actually is a 10 minute break, according to Friend at Court.

Only between the second and third set. After the first set in ALL usta matches, ONLY 2 minutes is allowed for the break.

rabidranger 09-16-2012 08:09 AM

I say let him chow all he wants.

Sim 09-16-2012 08:30 AM

I'd let them eat burgers, so they could experience stomach aches while competing :lol:

If it happened to me, I really wouldn't mind unless it was a big tourney.

Ronaldo 09-16-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sim (Post 6902554)
I'd let them eat burgers, so they could experience stomach aches while competing :lol:

If it happened to me, I really wouldn't mind unless it was a big tourney.

Saw guys pound Martinis during dubs. More entertaining than Adam Jones makin' it rain.

arche3 09-16-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 6902629)
Saw guys pound Martinis during dubs. More entertaining than Adam Jones makin' it rain.

Usta dubs I'd totally drink martinis during break between sets. Lol.

Larrysümmers 09-16-2012 10:19 AM

i thought the time between sets was the designated smoke break time.

tenniscasey 09-16-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tar Heel Tennis (Post 6902378)
Only between the second and third set. After the first set in ALL usta matches, ONLY 2 minutes is allowed for the break.

You're right, I went back and looked, that rule is at the top of Table 12 in Friend at Court. Thanks for setting me straight.

slowfox 09-16-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 6901887)
Was it a Big Kahuna burger?

'cause I hear they got some tasty burgers.

And did he wash it down with a Sprite?

Sim 09-16-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 6902629)
Saw guys pound Martinis during dubs. More entertaining than Adam Jones makin' it rain.

haha, that's amazing.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse