Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Best slam final of 2012? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440198)

Ms Nadal 09-15-2012 12:48 PM

Best slam final of 2012?
 
Tell me which one you liked the best and why?

Homeboy Hotel 09-15-2012 12:50 PM

Should've made a poll.

I'll go for Nadal vs Djokovic, just sustained hitting from both for 6 hours. But I'm also itching to say Murray since I was happy to see him lift his first.

Dreamcastin 09-15-2012 12:55 PM

wimby. Had 2 players with contrasting styles, 1 player trying to prove he still had it and the other trying to win it for the first time in front of his "home" crowd.

90's Clay 09-15-2012 12:57 PM

Nadal Djoker easy.. Both played an extremely high level. At the other 3 slams, one of the participants at each one played at a pretty low level.

French- Djoker's level wasn't all that great
Wimbledon-Murray sucked from the 2nd set on
USO-Djoker was crappy the first two sets and in the 5th

Agassifan 09-15-2012 01:59 PM

Wimbledon, for sure.

Tennis_Maestro 09-15-2012 02:36 PM

Australian Open without a shadow of a doubt, the quality was top notch, the semi final between Novak and Andy that slam was pretty sic as well. Yup, the Australian Open final.

The French was ruined by the rain and the ugliness of the cold and pathetic French Crowd.

Wimbledon was okay, although ruined the moment Murray failed to take those 2 bps @ 15-40 and then the roof came down.

US Open was about the same as Wimbledon, but special because someone the tennis people wanted to win.

1) AO Final
2) US Open Final
3) Wimbledon Final
4) French Open Final

The Bawss 09-15-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis_Maestro (Post 6901501)
Australian Open without a shadow of a doubt, the quality was top notch, the semi final between Novak and Andy that slam was pretty sic as well. Yup, the Australian Open final.

The French was ruined by the rain and the ugliness of the cold and pathetic French Crowd.

Wimbledon was okay, although ruined the moment Murray failed to take those 2 bps @ 15-40 and then the roof came down.

US Open was about the same as Wimbledon, but special because someone the tennis people wanted to win.

1) AO Final
2) US Open Final
3) Wimbledon Final
4) French Open Final

Lol, the US open final was awash with terrible choking and pushing to the max, not to mention the crap weather and the Monday play. Also the lesser player won. USO was the worst slam this year.

boredone3456 09-15-2012 02:46 PM

In terms of quality.. AO
In terms of the result... US Open

French was dull
Wimby was exciting for the first two sets but after that played like business as usual predictable.

-RF- 09-15-2012 02:50 PM

Ao of course

fps 09-15-2012 03:03 PM

US Open. It was wicked, great theatre.

kaku 09-15-2012 03:11 PM

AO Final. Actually the AO was the best tournament of the year, level of play in the SF/F was something else.

90's Clay 09-15-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaku (Post 6901546)
AO Final. Actually the AO was the best tournament of the year, level of play in the SF/F was something else.

Definitely one of the best tournaments Ive seen in the past few years at least the SF-F in terms of quality of play in Australia

RF20Lennon 09-15-2012 03:22 PM

AO defs no question! but i liked wimby the best being a fed fan

ledwix 09-15-2012 03:48 PM

Australian Open had the greatest final match, though the semi between Murray and Djokovic is still match of the year for me. And Federer winning Wimbledon was my favorite one.

Is it just me or is the Australian Open perhaps the best slam?

RF20Lennon 09-15-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ledwix (Post 6901604)
Australian Open had the greatest final match, though the semi between Murray and Djokovic is still match of the year for me. And Federer winning Wimbledon was my favorite one.

I completely agree!! Nadal-Djokovic had drama and it was long and exciting.But the semi between nole and murray had way better shot making

InspectorRacquet 09-15-2012 04:10 PM

I'd say the AO final this year. Very good quality hitting (as well as defense). I'd put Wimbledon second because it was a change of pace, quite literally, as it featured an attacking player and Murray who decided to play an attacking style.

flyinghippos101 09-15-2012 04:42 PM

AO: 8

Insane rallies, great drama and very clean hitting from both guys. Easily the best slam final of the year. Aside from Rafa really letting that fifth set break slip away, both guys were otherwise solid throughout the match.

FO: 5

Level of play from Novak was abysmal for much of the first two sets. Rafa played pretty steady. Was pretty neat seeing 2011 Novak steamroll through the third and take the early lead in the fourth. Rain delay was frustrating and seeing Novak dump balls into the net to lose his serve immediately was even more frustrating. Beginning of a fourth set hinted at the possibility of the match going the distance, but wasn't meant to be. Match ended on a pretty lousy note with Novak double-faulting. A lot of hype going into this match, ended up being a fairly disappointing final.

Wim: 6

Was awesome to see Murray playing great tennis for the first stretch of the match. Visibly took his foot off the pedal and let Fed get back into the match, but still played solid tennis throughout the match. A meh final

USO: 4

Both guys were tentative as hell for the first few sets, didn't make for very exciting tennis. Match picks up steam, sorta, as Novak gets more confident and starts ripping winners. The Murray choke of the second set was hard to watch, felt the entire time he was ready to take a page from his friend Cilic. Was good to see Murray win his maiden slam, albeit in a ugly fashion.

Tennis_Maestro 09-15-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bawss (Post 6901506)
Lol, the US open final was awash with terrible choking and pushing to the max, not to mention the crap weather and the Monday play. Also the lesser player won. USO was the worst slam this year.

I was going to reply to your nonsensical rubbish about choking and pushing and ask you whether you'd ever actually played a competitive match in extreme windy conditions and had rallies longer than 3 shots but then I read this **** about the lesser player winning.

You are jus a fool.

power level 800 09-15-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bawss (Post 6901506)
Lol, the US open final was awash with terrible choking and pushing to the max, not to mention the crap weather and the Monday play. Also the lesser player won. USO was the worst slam this year.

I also agree. Congrats to Murray, but I have to admitt I personally did not find it as entertaining as the other 3 slams. Even though the historical value should have made it more epic. It just the play seemed a bit boring to me, anticlimactic I even might say.

tennisMVP 09-15-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyinghippos101 (Post 6901650)
AO: 8

Insane rallies, great drama and very clean hitting from both guys. Easily the best slam final of the year. Aside from Rafa really letting that fifth set break slip away, both guys were otherwise solid throughout the match.

Rafa let the 5th set slip away? Djokovic broke him twice. And Nadal only played one bad shot in the 1st of those breaks. That's not uncommon in their rivalry, as both players break each others serve regularly.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse