Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Video of my 7 year old hitting ground strokes (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440233)

Postpre 09-15-2012 06:36 PM

Video of my 7 year old hitting ground strokes

Below is a link to a video of my seven year old (soon to be eight) son practicing forehands and backhands. I would appreciate any suggestions/critique as I am coaching him myself, and I never played tennis competitively (I've tried to learn as much as I can through reading, watching videos, and hitting myself).

https://vimeo.com/49525740

jcc309 09-15-2012 07:33 PM

What strikes me the most is that he is hitting off his back leg and falling to the left as well. I am not the best person to ask on her (TCF will give you better instruction) but his footwork is what bothers me. That would be where I would start, just making sure he is balanced while hitting with his weight going forward and not to the side.

Tennishacker 09-15-2012 08:04 PM

Good sized kid. If you can afford it, get him some lessons with a pro that teaches good basics.

At his age, he should be learning sound fundamental strokes.

Bash and Crash 09-15-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postpre (Post 6901776)
Below is a link to a video of my seven year old (soon to be eight) son practicing forehands and backhands. I would appreciate any suggestions/critique as I am coaching him myself, and I never played tennis competitively (I've tried to learn as much as I can through reading, watching videos, and hitting myself).

https://vimeo.com/49525740

I would be doing some hand feeding, and more dead ball feeding until he had a some better technique. Gets his left arm out on the forehand then leaves it against his torso doing the old x marks the spot finish. Backhand needs some work, make sure he starts from ready position, on many of those he is half way turned before the shot is fed. Would like to see a take back that goes above the hip and then under the ball. Really need to work on balance on those shots for sure. Just my three cents.

Postpre 09-16-2012 06:38 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Yeah, he is hitting off his back foot too much instead of holding his ground. This happens mostly when he hits near the baseline as the bounce of the ball tends to push him back. My impression of my son so far is he has good ball striking ability, but his footwork and balance need to catch up. Part of it is probably due to his height (better coordination may come as he gets used to his size).

TCF 09-16-2012 06:56 AM

================================================

Postpre 09-16-2012 01:39 PM

Thanks for the encouragement and advice, TCF! I am going to carefully read over your suggestions and implement those drills/changes.

Bash and Crash 09-16-2012 02:05 PM

More good stuff, I would also try to use some green dot balls when trying to rally with him, will help with footwork and positioning. As those improve mix in the regular balls some days.

TCF 09-16-2012 03:00 PM

================================================

Bash and Crash 09-16-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6903179)
As this dad will see, there is nothing like the moment you realize your kid can hold a solid non moonballing rally with you with regulation balls. Take your time getting there and teach things the right way, but it is a blast when you can finally have your kid as a hitting partner!

True TCF, I love having long, well struck rallies with my students with the green dots, because when they are driving and spinning that ball I know they will move right on up to the regular balls. You can just see the technique and racket speed skills building as well as improved movement.

skraggle 09-16-2012 09:47 PM

While there are a few things to work on, he clearly has good instincts. A lot of kids make the mistake of waiting for the ball to come to them or stretching to make contact. Your son already creates space for himself and makes small adjustments. I also see an engaged attitude and as TCF mentioned already, he is on the balls of his feet and displays good energy.

Looks like you have yourself a player!

anhuynh16 09-17-2012 04:57 PM

His (left hand) should follow through with his racket. Might not matter now, but when he gets older and still has that habit, its gonna be hard to break

widmerpool 09-18-2012 08:07 PM

I have a boy the same age. It's an interesting/frustrating age. They hit it perfect and then shank it.

I like his footwork. Wish my son bounced around like that.

With the BH, the right hand is too active. He should hit some left-handed forehands with his right arm behind his back.

Postpre 09-19-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

I have a boy the same age. It's an interesting/frustrating age. They hit it perfect and then shank it.
I hear you :-)

Quote:

With the BH, the right hand is too active. He should hit some left-handed forehands with his right arm behind his back.
I agree that his BH needs some work. I'm showing him slow motion videos of Djokovic's BH (great rotation). I'm also aware of the left handed forehand drill. I've been a little confused on this point, though, since hearing Agassi say he hit his BH primarily with right hand (up to contact point). So, I'm thoroughly confused on how to teach the BH at the moment.

widmerpool 09-19-2012 08:49 AM

I played a 1H BH so I have a hard time teaching 2H BH. I just sorta hope his teachers get through to him.

I don't think our sons are/were doing what Agassi recommended. I think they are almost using the right hand to lever in the opposite direction.

Another tip that worked for us: focusing on bringing the left shoulder to the chin. Anything to make it a long swing which is less "wristy".

One day, it just clicked and his backhand is pretty strong. Unfortunately he doesn't move like your son so that's a whole other issue.

And the day his BH clicker, his FH went off the rails...

superfittennis 09-19-2012 10:56 AM

Needs to creat space correctly!

He is going to the left and back to hit forehands in order to creat space. You should be working on leaning in to the ball and having him hit much further away from the ball. What he is doing now is compensating for his crowding of the ball.