Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Confused on USTA tournament point awarding?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440344)

NetNinja68 09-17-2012 06:59 AM

Confused on USTA tournament point awarding??

My daughter is 7 and is ranked #23 in Georgia in the 10&U division and I've noticed what appears to be some inconsistencies in the amount of ranking points awarded after the tournament is completed. Here's one example: my daughter won a L4 tourny this weekend 6-0,6-0 & 6-0,6-0 and received 100 ranking points. The problem is that the total event points is listed as 220 for this event?? There was only singles so doubles were not even part of the equation? Am I missing something? We are new to tennis and tournament scoring and can't seem to find anyone to provide us clarity on the point/ranking system...PLEASE HELP....

db10s 09-17-2012 08:03 AM

The winner gets 100pts, even the people that didn't win get points, just not as many. The sum of the total points awarded to everybody (that receives points) is 220.

Soianka 09-17-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 6904284)
The winner gets 100pts, even the people that didn't win get points, just not as many. The sum of the total points awarded to everybody (that receives points) is 220.

No, the winner should get 220 points.

To the OP, call the tournament director and inquire. Sometimes they do mess up the points.

He may have just given her points for winning 2 matches versus winning the tournament because it was a round robin.

But I think she should have gotten the 220 points for being the winner...call the TD, and they should fix it.

TCF 09-17-2012 10:12 AM

================================================

andfor 09-17-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6904519)
Or instead, just come to the realization that tracking points and rankings for a 7 year old in U10s, combined with the waste of time for a tournament where she wins every game, is one of the most proven ways to cripple the long term development of a player.

Agreed. Can also be crippling to development of juniors of any age. Focus on the process, improving skills, technique, fitness, enjoyment of the game 100% effort and sportmanship first. These are controllable.

Do not focus on outcome oriented aspects. Rankings, who is better than who, who should win, who should lose, what will my friends/coach/parents think if I win or lose? What racquet or shoes does my opponent have, etc. Trying to control results and rankings is a futile battle and often stunts deveopment. Pros will tell you, they can't contol winning, losing and rankings. They can control their effort and trying to execute their gameplan. And if they do so and do it well, they will give themself a chance to win in the end.

I've talked too much on this on other posts and here. This is a favorite subject of mine.............

To answer the poster, it could be the rankings were updated before the tournament completed. Check again when the next ranking period comes out.

gplracer 09-17-2012 12:21 PM

The winner of a l4 gets 220 in Ga. The winner of a l5 gets 110. You should have gotten 220.

10ismom 09-17-2012 01:03 PM

Most rankings are calculated from your 6 or 8 best wins in 1 year. Your daughther might not get all points added up for her ranking (if she already had points from other 6 tournaments....only the difference will be added)

For a 7 year old player, I would strongly recommend ignoring the points and ranking.

If you want her to compete some, find good competition for her tennis development.

Soianka 09-17-2012 01:12 PM

The winner of a Georgia L4 gets 220 points.

You should see this listed as 220

I agree that the parent probably shouldn't care too much about rankings at this point.

However, it appears that the TD put the wrong amount of points on, so just give him or her a call and get it corrected for accuracies sake, if nothing else.

gplracer 09-17-2012 01:40 PM

Well........ I know who your daughter is because I looked it up based on the scores and ranking you gave. It appears she did get 220 points. If you get confused you can always look at the points table here: http://www.ustageorgia.com/juniors/2...%202-24-12.pdf Send me an email since you are from GA. Maybe we will see you at a touranament. My son turned 10 over the summer but he is playing 12s now. The 10s were great while it lasted.

TCF 09-17-2012 03:30 PM

NetNinja68 09-17-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gplracer (Post 6904873)
Well........ I know who your daughter is because I looked it up based on the scores and ranking you gave. It appears she did get 220 points. If you get confused you can always look at the points table here: http://www.ustageorgia.com/juniors/2...%202-24-12.pdf Send me an email since you are from GA. Maybe we will see you at a touranament. My son turned 10 over the summer but he is playing 12s now. The 10s were great while it lasted.

Actually, she only recieved 100 points even though total points listed was 220. The only reason I know this is because we knew her point total before playing the tournament. I totally understand where everyone is coming from but when my little girl busts her a** in practice and in matches giving it her all against a feild that is always larger and older she should recieve the points she has earned. My wife is the one that hammers me on the points thing as we are very busy and already sacrifice alot of time to tennis. We are new to the sport and the academy world and hear so much negativity from other parents we don't know what to think anymore...We do not discuss this around our daughter as we want her to have fun and develop to the best of her potential. Thanks!

TCF 09-17-2012 05:12 PM

Soianka 09-17-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetNinja68 (Post 6905157)
Actually, she only recieved 100 points even though total points listed was 220. The only reason I know this is because we knew her point total before playing the tournament. I totally understand where everyone is coming from but when my little girl busts her a** in practice and in matches giving it her all against a feild that is always larger and older she should recieve the points she has earned. My wife is the one that hammers me on the points thing as we are very busy and already sacrifice alot of time to tennis. We are new to the sport and the academy world and hear so much negativity from other parents we don't know what to think anymore...We do not discuss this around our daughter as we want her to have fun and develop to the best of her potential. Thanks!

She got the points. Her total will not go up by exactly 220 because she has played more than 6 tournaments and the total only reflects the top 6.

So, they took off the point values from one tournament (off 120) and added the 220 on -- which is a net 100 points gain.

Look carefully at the rankings page and look next to each point value -- some will say "DOES NOT COUNT TOWARD POINTS TOTAL"

Alohajrtennis 09-17-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetNinja68 (Post 6905157)

Only the top six matches count, so if she had already played six matches,100 may be the net increase in her point total. i.e, there may now be a match where she got 120 points that no longer counts.

Yes, don't discuss points or ranking with her. I can't really see how it matters to you now. When she starts playing on the 12's its something you will want to be aware of and be intelligent about, but they should not be the tail that wags the dog.

andfor 09-17-2012 05:28 PM

Ranking for 10 and unders are virtually meaningless and for kids under 7 or 8 even less so. The more you focus on helping her improve and have fun, no matter the match outcome or ranking, the better chance you'll have of having a kid who competes well at 18 and might want to play in college.

TCF is right, it's a marathon not a sprint. Development in any endevor is about the journey not the destination.

NetNinja68 09-17-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soianka (Post 6905174)
She got the points. Her total will not go up by exactly 220 because she has played more than 6 tournaments and the total only reflects the top 6.

So, they took off the point values from one tournament (off 120) and added the 220 on -- which is a net 100 points gain.

Look carefully at the rankings page and look next to each point value -- some will say "DOES NOT COUNT TOWARD POINTS TOTAL"

Thanks so much! As I said, we are new to the sport and this response helps clear things up!

Woolybugger 09-18-2012 06:36 AM

I'd much rather have my kid enjoy the game and love the sport than get on the points treadmill. I can always tell who the kids are that chase rankings - they are the worst cheaters, have a terrible attitude, and display poor sportsmanship. All they care about is winning, and that's what's so sad about it.

watergirl 09-18-2012 07:34 AM

This is all so dependent on the child. Can't really categorize people as cheaters from how driven they may be. Some children want to know their ranking the person they are playings ranking and how their game relates to their peers. Others want to know nothing. Some are driven by their parents/coaches desire for points/rankings and some are very internally driven for this. My kid was put in the gifted and talented program in elementary simply because he was so driven to be the best at each subject. It simply carried over to tennis. Not so much now but when he was younger if he lost a match he would wake his father up before school on Monday so they could be at the courts at 6:00 to hit before school. Per my son - Hates practice but loves winning. Wierd thing is the older child is such a free spirit - doesn't like competition at all.

TCF 09-18-2012 07:54 AM

watergirl 09-18-2012 11:13 AM

Mine was 8 when he knew he was beating all the 12 and unders in town and wanted to know when he could play a tournament. We thought he was too young - and I still think he was - but his point was why am I doing all this practicing if I am not going to play tournaments.

He was the kid that in first grade when the did accelerated reading (where you get so many points for reading and passing a test on books) knew what all 18 kids in class points were and that he was number #2 because some girl had no life but reading. He has always been competitive. Like I said to a competitive natured kid tournaments, points, trophys, medals, knowing you beat everyone is very important to them. Not saying it is always a good thing. It can be very bad but for the one poster to say these are the cheaters-just not my son's rep. Winning by cheating isn't winning because your better. Attitude when younger yes but maturity has helped ease that.