Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Say NO to secondhand smoke! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440384)

onehandbh 09-17-2012 11:33 AM

Say NO to secondhand smoke!

I'm not a fan of secondhand smoke. Not exactly thrilled when
smokers exhale in my airspace.

A quick stop-motion video I made about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU...&v=TBktjmUeO0w

ollinger 09-17-2012 12:42 PM

Oooooooooh Noooooooooo, Mr. Bill!!! Sluggo's got a cigarette!!!!!

Rogael Naderer 09-18-2012 05:39 AM

Agreed.

I love living in the UK watching the PATHETIC addicts OUTSIDE pubs, clubs, offices and wherever in the cold, wind and rain.

Gives me a laugh everytime.

floide 09-19-2012 08:18 PM

Same here in Brazil. In some regions, the addicts have to go outside if they want to smoke their crap. It's humiliating.

Larrysümmers 09-19-2012 09:05 PM

lmfao. im not a tobacco smoker, but these people arent animals and pigs. you guys crack me up

scotus 09-19-2012 11:53 PM

I hate it when people smoke on or around the tennis courts.

ramos77 09-20-2012 03:10 AM

ban cars and trucks from driving in the street then...

diesel/petrol fumes are far more dangerous than people smoking OUTSIDE

floide 09-20-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larrysümmers (Post 6909388)
lmfao. im not a tobacco smoker, but these people arent animals and pigs. you guys crack me up

They're not, indeed. Unless they're not forcing me to smoke that ******* *** *** *** ** smoke. :twisted:

WildVolley 09-20-2012 07:05 AM

"Say NO to secondhand smoke!"

I agree. You need to man-up and get that smoke first hand by smoking it yourself. Stop trying to steal smoke from other people!

I used to practice with a Marine before he got deployed. He'd light up during change-overs and still was fitter than I was.

Limpinhitter 09-20-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVolley (Post 6909899)
"Say NO to secondhand smoke!"

I agree. You need to man-up and get that smoke first hand by smoking it yourself. Stop trying to steal smoke from other people!

I used to practice with a Marine before he got deployed. He'd light up during change-overs and still was fitter than I was.

And he will almost certainly die prematurely from either accelerated cardiovascular disease, cancer or emphysema. This, in addition to the adverse health affects on those he lives and works with.

LuckyR 09-20-2012 08:03 AM

News Flash!! We're all gonna die. Enjoy the life you have.

Bowtiesarecool 09-20-2012 08:19 AM

I'm not thrilled when Christians spew their idiotic beliefs aloud in public, but I don't berate them for it because I can just walk away.

Bartelby 09-20-2012 08:27 AM

If a woman wants to light up afterwards, then that's ok with me.

WildVolley 09-20-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limpinhitter (Post 6909997)
And he will almost certainly die prematurely from either accelerated cardiovascular disease, cancer or emphysema. This, in addition to the adverse health affects on those he lives and works with.

That's assuming he made it back from Iraq and that he keeps on smoking.

The problem is that smokers become addicted and smoke too much. I'm not convinced that smoking in moderation is terrible for your health. Pipe smokers for instance live longer than non-pipe smokers, though it is likely that this is not due to pipe smoking but a result of the type of people who smoke pipes.

I live in coastal California, so I don't see much smoking. The only thing that is considered hip to smoke out here is marijuana. Somehow the pot smokers don't think it is bad for their health.

I only smoke three or four cigars a year, so I'm not worried that I'm harming my health in any statistically significant way.

Limpinhitter 09-20-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 6910022)
News Flash!! We're all gonna die. Enjoy the life you have.

But, we are not all going to die "prematurely," and cause those around us to die prematurely, because we are foolish enough to become addicted to a highly toxic, dangerous, drug.

Limpinhitter 09-20-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVolley (Post 6910083)
That's assuming he made it back from Iraq and that he keeps on smoking.

The problem is that smokers become addicted and smoke too much. I'm not convinced that smoking in moderation is terrible for your health. Pipe smokers for instance live longer than non-pipe smokers, though it is likely that this is not due to pipe smoking but a result of the type of people who smoke pipes.

I live in coastal California, so I don't see much smoking. The only thing that is considered hip to smoke out here is marijuana. Somehow the pot smokers don't think it is bad for their health.

I only smoke three or four cigars a year, so I'm not worried that I'm harming my health in any statistically significant way.

That's BS! Any amount of tobacco, in any form, increases the risk of numerous diseases, especially cancers of the mouth and throat. Marijuana doesn't contain nicotine, or any of the numerous other toxic chemicals contained in cigarette tobacco during curing. Cigar and pipe tobacco is less dangerous, but, still very dangerous. You think pipe, cigar and moderate smoking is safe. Go for it, in the privacy of your home with your family. No skin off my nose.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/cance...t/page2_em.htm

WildVolley 09-20-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limpinhitter (Post 6910084)
But, we are not all going to die "prematurely," and cause those around us to die prematurely, because we are foolish enough to become addicted to a highly toxic, dangerous, drug.

My quibble with this perspective is that tobacco isn't highly toxic. That's why it makes such a good drug, unlike say meth, though not as good as coffee. If you can constantly suck on cigarettes for 40 years straight before it kills you, by definition that isn't a highly toxic drug - that's a mildly toxic drug.

The idea that second hand smoke, especially from someone smoking outdoors say on another tennis court, is going to kill you or seriously harm your health seems mostly fantasy. The problem with smokers is that they tend to stink.

LuckyR 09-20-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

A true factoid but only a simpleton would suppose that only smokers will fall into that category.

Limpinhitter 09-20-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 6910154)
A true factoid but only a simpleton would suppose that only smokers will fall into that category.

Only a simpleton would presume that that is what was implied.

Bowtiesarecool 09-20-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

This notion of a "premature" death is ridiculous. It suggests you're going to die before you're "ready", except noone wants to die before they're ready.

And quite frankly, I don't hear anyone verbally lynching a group about having to breathe in charcoal smoke from the neighbors barbecue, CO gas while sitting at a traffic light, forest fires, the scent of fried junkfood as they pass a mc donald's, or anything else that is a short term annoyance. Leave everyone who is not you, alone to live how they please.