Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Davis Cup Final- Predictions and thoughts (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440563)

tennisbuck 09-18-2012 10:30 PM

Davis Cup Final- Predictions and thoughts

Who do you all think will win? my prediction is Spain 3-2

merwy 09-19-2012 03:33 AM

I think Czech will win, because I don't expect them to pick clay as the surface and then they will have the advantage. Oh and they don't have to worry about Nadal, Czech has their anti-Nadal weapon ready.

ruerooo 09-19-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merwy (Post 6907773)
I think Czech will win, because I don't expect them to pick clay as the surface and then they will have the advantage. Oh and they don't have to worry about Nadal, Czech has their anti-Nadal weapon ready.

It's not likely Rafa will play.

And Spain has a good depth of men who can do well on hardcourts.

Remember they beat the US in Texas on hardcourt. With A-Rod. And without Rafa.

DolgoSantoro 09-19-2012 08:03 AM

Czechs will win the doubles clearly, Berdych and Stepanek are a competent team and the spaniards are less so. If nadal doesn't play I predict 3-2 to the Czechs

ruerooo 09-19-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DolgoSantoro (Post 6908177)
Czechs will win the doubles clearly, Berdych and Stepanek are a competent team and the spaniards are less so.

Who is it from the Spanish team that you think are going to be playing doubles?

And even if the Czechs do win doubles, how is it you think they're going to come out with that score? They'd still have to play two rounds of singles to get it.

stringertom 09-19-2012 09:46 AM

This will be close and may come down to a decisive rubber...Indoor HC makes me favor Berdych for both singles as he will beat Nico and have a royal battle with Ferrer (WTF '11). The dubs will be crucial as Stepanek may not be relied upon for either singles matchup. I go 3-2, for the home team.

hersito 09-19-2012 08:56 PM

matches will probably be:

ferrer-berdych= ferrer should win but is the anyone can win match
almagro-stepaneck= almagro
doubles= checz will win
almagro-berdych= berdych
ferrer-stepaneck= ferrer

so I predict a very close 3 - 2 for spain.

6-1 6-3 6-0 09-20-2012 01:11 AM

Spain, though I'm probably only going to watch it with high intensity if Nadal is playing.

beast of mallorca 09-20-2012 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hersito (Post 6909379)

doubles= checz will win
almagro-berdych= berdych
ferrer-stepaneck= ferrer

Spain has not placed their roster yet. Almagro, though in top 12, is not a shoe in
for a spot. There are other players more compe tent on indoor hard courts than him. Granolers or Deliciano or even Verdasco is better. So, wait and see mate.

The doubles partnership of Marc Lopez and Granola Bar was very competent. If not or their injury, they could have beaten the Bryans...a remote possibility nonetheless

Sentinel 09-20-2012 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merwy (Post 6907773)

Roger that.

I think Spain will win, but rooting for a Czech-Mate.

tennis_pro 09-20-2012 11:09 AM

Thoughts: Spain in 3
Predictions: Spain in 3

Beryl 09-21-2012 07:14 PM

Berdych would have to have a hand in all 3 Czech points, as the worm cannot be expected to win any singles ties. Big ask to have Berdych play best-of-5 3 days consecutively.

ductrung3993 09-21-2012 08:07 PM

In a indoor hard court, Czach just might have the chances to take this 3-2...

Max G. 09-24-2012 02:06 PM

Stepanek has a chance against the spanish #2, whoever it'll be (as long as Nadal's not playing and Ferrer is their #1).

CDNguy87 09-25-2012 08:28 AM

Obviously a huge variable is whether Nadal can return healthy. It's also hard to say if guys like Ferrer and Berdych will be tired from playing at WTF the week before. Based on these uncertainties, making a prediction seems rather futile for now.

I would love to see a Nadal/Rosol rematch on indoor HC though with the Davis Cup on the line.

wintintu 11-13-2012 01:58 PM

So now that we are a bit closer to davis cup final I found this thread a few pages back. I think its pretty clear what the matches will be: berdych v almagro, ferrer v stepanek, granollers/lopez v berdych/stepanek, ferrer v berdych, stepanek v almagro. Anybody could win any of those matches and the bookmakers are giving the edge to the czechs but I think spain will do it 3-2 or 4-1. I expect two points from ferrer and M & M to give spain the doubles also. Plus I would fancy almagro to beat the worm if he serves well. Any other thoughts??!

kishnabe 11-13-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DolgoSantoro (Post 6908177)
Czechs will win the doubles clearly, Berdych and Stepanek are a competent team and the spaniards are less so. If nadal doesn't play I predict 3-2 to the Czechs

With the advent of Grannolers and Marc Lopez.....I don't even think even that is assured.

Czechs have a chance without Rafa.....Most likely Spain 3-2. Berdych wins boths matches.

tennisbuck 11-13-2012 05:45 PM

grannolers and lopez are a great team guys why does everyone think the checks will win doubles?

papertank 11-13-2012 07:46 PM

If Granollers and Lopez play doubles there is a very small chance they will lose. Also I don't think Stepanek will win a single's match. So I don't see how the czechs can win even if Berdych wins both of his singles. But I don't expect him to beat Ferrer anyway, so I'd put it at 4-1 Spain.

Colin 11-13-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hersito (Post 6909379)

doubles= checz will win
almagro-berdych= berdych
ferrer-stepaneck= ferrer

Yeah, even if Spain throws Verdasco in there, I see it falling like this with the Ferrer-Berdych match being the decider. I think either could win an indoor fast court match and that will decide the champion.