Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Babolat VS starting clamp (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440627)

Roger Wawrinka 09-19-2012 04:40 PM

Babolat VS starting clamp

Hey guys, I have a Gamma stringers starting clamp bought from TW, but I was wondering if you guys knew where to buy a Babolat VS Starting Clamp from(other then buying it right from Babolat which will most likely take some time to get)? I was told that a Babolat VS starting clamp is the best one that you can buy, so I was also wondering what your guys thoughts on the clamp and where I can get my hands on one.:)

drakulie 09-19-2012 07:16 PM

The Babolat "VS" starting clamp is no longer available, as they are not manufactured anymore. You would need to find someone who is willing to part with theirs. That said, Babolat still makes a starting clamp, which is hands down the best on the market. Contact Babolat USA directly and they could send you one fed ex. You'll have it next day. I believe the cost is around $58.

If you look at this thread, I posted some photos of the different variatoins of the babolat clamps:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CCwQ9QEwBQ

GSS also sells a great starting clamp, which is close to the Babolat "VS" one. They are about $35.??

Good luck.

Roger Wawrinka 09-19-2012 07:45 PM

^ Great info as always, thanks drak!:)

Roger Wawrinka 09-19-2012 08:34 PM

Say Drak, I am taking a long shot here but would you be willing to give up any one of your VS clamps?:D

Also, When did they stop making the VS clamps and how do you feel about the Black babolat starting clamp that you told me about? How to they compare to the VS clamps?

Dags 09-20-2012 04:03 AM

Are you having problems with your Gamma starting clamp?

I have two of the RAB ones, which I believe are the same ones GSS sells. I find them excellent.

Starting clamps aren't the most complex tools. You're pretty much looking for something that:

- doesn't slip
- doesn't crush
- is easy enough to open, without being too easy to open

The other variables are whether it has eyelets so you can use it as a jumper (mine do), and the width. I've never had to use it in a tight space though, so width isn't important to me provided it meets the above criteria.

If your existing starting clamp ticks all these boxes, then you have to ask yourself what you'd gain from owning a 'better' Babolat model.

diredesire 09-20-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Wawrinka (Post 6909298)
Say Drak, I am taking a long shot here but would you be willing to give up any one of your VS clamps?:D

Also, When did they stop making the VS clamps and how do you feel about the Black babolat starting clamp that you told me about? How to they compare to the VS clamps?

No FS or Soliciting post outside FS/T subforum. :evil:

Edit: P.S. I have one of his VS clamps. It's nice ;) (I don't use it though, no eyelets)

Irvin 09-20-2012 10:26 AM

I have one of the old vs clamps with eyelets. I don't like it as well as the gamma clamp because it clamps so well it can crush the string. Most of the time I use my gamma clamp and. If I were to buy another clamp I would go for the gamma.

Just in case anyone is wondering if I want to get rid of my old VS clamp the answer is no. I got it in the 80s to do 50/50 patterns and it is probably an antique so no one would want it anyway.

struggle 09-20-2012 10:43 AM

The Gamma is adequate, but sometimes I prefer to use my Eagnas with stronger spring pressure. Often, I'll start crosses with the Eagnas and snug up knots with the Gamma (yeah, i know....but that's for another thread...).

I see no need for a babolat/VS clamp.....yet.

Roger Wawrinka 09-20-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 6910264)
No FS or Soliciting post outside FS/T subforum. :evil:

Edit: P.S. I have one of his VS clamps. It's nice ;) (I don't use it though, no eyelets)

I am very sorry diredesire, I will not do it again you have my word:)

Roger Wawrinka 09-20-2012 10:55 AM

Dags, I string a lot of one piece poly jobs for me and my clients so I do ATW patterns, one of them being the diredesire pattern;) The other I learned from Drakulie (Thanks again for that drak:D) And in the one pattern, I am using my starting clamp while I have to tie-off so I thought another one would come in handy. That's all, and I thought it could be pretty cool to be the owner of a VS clamp too:)

drakulie 09-20-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Wawrinka (Post 6909298)

Not looking to sell one of my clamps. I pretty much use them all. I have a set of clamps and tools I use at home, and another I use for the shop and tournaments.

Not sure when they discontinued the "VS" clamp. There have been several newer versions, like the thin jaw blue one, thicker jaw blue one, black, etc.

As for the black one, it is excellent. I used this one, along with my red "vs" one at the cincy tournament.

Roger Wawrinka 09-20-2012 08:56 PM

Okay, Great info, Thanks Drak!

stringertom 09-20-2012 10:31 PM

Alpha starting clamps are very good too. I had problems with the Gamma version made a decade ago but don't know if they have improved the "grab" since then. The diamond dust on the Alpha is very reliable in avoiding pull-through on the initial main tensioning. It has eyelets to allow for making an "extender". Just remember...take care of it just like your regular string clamps with a good alcohol scrub regularly.

Rabbit 09-21-2012 04:51 AM

does anyone know how to take the starting clamp apart to clean? i bought a gamma starting clamp and i think it needs cleaning as it slips from time to time.

I also have an alpha and GSS which are great.

drakulie 09-21-2012 05:18 AM

Rabbit, pull the springs inwards and you could pop them out. Once they are off, you have full access to the inner jaws.

Rabbit 09-21-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6911614)
Rabbit, pull the springs inwards and you could pop them out. Once they are off, you have full access to the inner jaws.

Thanks, worked like a champ. Took the 3 springs off, got out the acetone, and cleaned it.

diredesire 09-21-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 6911675)
Thanks, worked like a champ. Took the 3 springs off, got out the acetone, and cleaned it.

Supposedly (and I've never tried it), you can remove the pin that holds the jaws together. I would have thought it was similar to a rivet design, but again, I haven't tried it. :)

stringertom 09-21-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 6911591)
does anyone know how to take the starting clamp apart to clean? i bought a gamma starting clamp and i think it needs cleaning as it slips from time to time.

I also have an alpha and GSS which are great.

Once it's fully cleaned, regular maintenance is cake...take a handful of wetnaps home from your favorite rib/wings restaurant, open a package and let it dry out overnight then soak it in alcohol, fold it to match the jawsize and wedge it in the jaws and remove it before stringing the next day. I guarantee zero slippage!

Rabbit 09-21-2012 10:28 AM

Very cool ideas, thanks guys!

drakulie 09-21-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 6911864)
Supposedly (and I've never tried it), you can remove the pin that holds the jaws together. I would have thought it was similar to a rivet design, but again, I haven't tried it. :)

On the Babolat clamps this is possible. However, on some other type clamps the rivets are permanent, so can't be removed.