Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   quest for a new racquet, tips welcome (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440658)

beepee1972 09-20-2012 02:18 AM

quest for a new racquet, tips welcome

Hi All,

I'm looking for a new racquet. First some background info. Male, 40 years, and back on the court since 4 years. Since then I have played with Prince O3 Tour Team MP, Babolat Aeropro GT, Babolat Pure drive GT, Prince O3 Speedport Tour and since a year with the Wilson BLX 6.1 95 (18x20). I play equally often singles as doubles, and I'm rated 5 in the Netherlands (varying between 4.6 - 5.0). I have no ideay what that would be over there, but I guess at least 4.0?

The reason Im looking for a new racquet (again), is mostly because of the weight of my current Wilson. I have noticed that after about one hour of play I start to tire. Further I start missing power, the balls start falling short. With doubles my reaction is a tad too slow (volleys). I do like the control of this racquet (no surprise).

I have a personal preference for Prince racquets, but am willing to try another brand (that's why I play Wilson now :-) ). I have come up with a shortlist of possible candidates:
  • Prince exo3 Tour Team 18x20 (testing right now)
  • Prince exo3 Red 105 (tested, too much power, too little control)
  • Prince rebel 98
  • Wilson BLX Pro Open 16x19
  • Wilson BLX Blade team 18x19
  • Dunlop Bio 500 tour

So what I'm looking for in particular, different from my current racquet, is a tad more power with preferably the same control, coming in a lesser weight. Head size may be bigger. I haven't found a shop nearby in the Netherlands where i can test the other candidates, so I'm curious about your opinions, or perhaps other possibilities! So please give me your opinion(s). Thanks in advance.

Hi I'm Ray 09-20-2012 04:11 AM

I don't think the weight of the racket is what's making you tired. Its more likely your fitness, or the racket set up is low powered and you are swinging quite hard and tiring out. Here is a recent thread on fitness, my post is on the second page #25: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440007 Some running and sprinting even 1x or 2x a week can go a long way, if you don't already do that.

I'm not sure how you feel about the Swingweight of your frame, but it seems pretty good in stock form. You can try a lighter replacement grip to reduce the overall weight of the frame, like a Babolat Skin Feel grip - compared to most stock grips, it makes a frame feel noticeably lighter. What string & tension are you using? You can use a more powerful string set up for more pop.

Otherwise, most of the tweeners are good choices. The Pro Open is a good starting point, the current BLX Blade has the same string pattern and similar SW as your frame but is lighter and is supposed to have good power.

beepee1972 09-20-2012 05:11 AM

Hi Ray, tnx for your response!

I have been running lately to up my condition, so I don't think that will help me more. Also, I'm not out of breath during the tennis, I just feel that I handle my racquet too slow, even when I'm focused on early preparation and my footwork.

I have the orginal grip on my racquet, and an overgrip. So I would think that changing that to a lighter replacement grip, would make it head heavier, and therefore slower?

My current setup varies. I have played with a syngut at 25k, after that changed to the same string at 22K. Right now I'm als experimenting with a poly at 16K, but have only played with that for half an hour, so can't really comment on that.

BTW, I'm using the 2011 version (black/red), not the 2012 version (red/white). The "normal" blx Blade was not on my list, it's too close to my current racquet I guessed....

TfReAk 09-21-2012 12:53 AM

At Tw-europe they have the BLX 6.1 95 309 gram. Maybe should look at that one. If the swingweight is to low, it can easily be fixed by putting on some leadtape.
http://tenniswarehouse-europe.com/de...NH-WSO95L.html

Same racket but in a lighter package :)

TfReAk 09-21-2012 12:55 AM

Ok the stringpattern is different...Maybe a Radical MP is also a good option which also has plenty of room for cutomisation, but with a 18*20 pattern.

rlau 09-21-2012 01:24 AM

Hi,

I have played with the BLX 6.1 95 TEAM 18x20 and this is pretty nice, but it needs some extra weight. In stock form, it won't do. I have put two long nails in the foam in the handle, adding 13 grams to the handle, and a 3-gram lead strip and the 3 and 9 positions. This makes the frame very playable, IMHO.

I have also played, and still occasionally play with the Dunlop Bio 500 Tour, which is also a very good frame if you play a power and spin based baseline game. I modded this frame with a leather grip to make it also a bit more headlight. It also serves and volleys pretty well once you get used to the slightly thicker beam.

In addition to this I would also recommend the Donnay Pro One, which is also a nice frame once you make it a bit more headlight.

TfReAk 09-21-2012 01:53 AM

Funny you mention the Donnay P1, because I just got my hands on one (bought from the marketplace for € 90 :)) The guy put on a leather grip and 13grams of lead under it which made it a bit to heavy. I removed the leadtape and it plays much nicer, but it still doesn't swing as fast as my Rad MP (with leathergrip and some lead)...

Still testing the Donnay. I have some adjusting problems with my forehand, but it gets better. My serve got more pace and spin (slice and kick). Also I hit my 1hbh with more depth and better angles (maybe its the honeymoon period haha)

beepee1972 09-21-2012 05:20 AM

Thanks so far guys.

Yesterday I tried the Exo3 Red again. Feeling solid (I didn't expect this), with loads of power, easy serving, very easy fore and backhand. It lacked control some of the time, but I could adjust that after playing longer I feel.

For next week, I have found a shop that will send me the blx blade team, head youtek IG speed 300 and a pacific racquet (his suggestion). I don't know which pacific racquet, but I'm willing to give it a try. I am going to try the wilson blx Pro team FX from a friend as well.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Hi I'm Ray 09-21-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beepee1972 (Post 6909683)
Hi Ray, tnx for your response!

I have been running lately to up my condition, so I don't think that will help me more. Also, I'm not out of breath during the tennis, I just feel that I handle my racquet too slow, even when I'm focused on early preparation and my footwork.

I have the orginal grip on my racquet, and an overgrip. So I would think that changing that to a lighter replacement grip, would make it head heavier, and therefore slower?

My current setup varies. I have played with a syngut at 25k, after that changed to the same string at 22K. Right now I'm als experimenting with a poly at 16K, but have only played with that for half an hour, so can't really comment on that.

BTW, I'm using the 2011 version (black/red), not the 2012 version (red/white). The "normal" blx Blade was not on my list, it's too close to my current racquet I guessed....

Removing weight may tip the balance a bit but still it is a reduction in weight and and possibly even very slight reduction in SW - its not going to make the racket swing slower. I've tried a lot of customizations and a reduction in weight even if its in the handle always makes the racket feel lighter and swing faster in my experience.

I think most tweeners can give you what you are looking for, its just finding a frame that has got the right feel, response, right fit. Some may need a small amount of lead to bring it up to personal preferences.

beepee1972 10-09-2012 05:08 AM

I'm done testing..... it's going to be the blade team blx for me.
I absolutely love serving, volleying en my 1hbh with it. I am still struggling with my forehand, but I'm convinced that will work out as well. Serving and volleying is a dream with this racket, so is the extra power with no extra effort needed from me.

So after receiving them, I will start messing with some strings, though I must say the Sensation (from the factory) in it wasn't bad either! Very comfy but still enough feel