Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Perfect Pure Storm Tour (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440660)

Ash_Smith 09-20-2012 02:49 AM

Perfect Pure Storm Tour

Okay, need some suggestions please team!

Have recently switched back to a Babolat contract from Head and am playing the storm tour but I can't find a string set up I really like. In my prestige mids I was playing gut/spin-x and could probably go back to that, but i'd be interested to hear any other ideas you guys have had that work well in a storm tour - it seems to be a tough bat to dial in!!!

Cheers

airdupont 09-20-2012 03:22 AM

If you're that good to receive a contract, why not ask babolat?

red rook 09-20-2012 03:57 AM

I too have this racquet (great racquet) and I have tried many full polys from 56 pounds all the way down to 38. I like a full poly in the lower forties. But you may want to keep with a gut hybrid as that's what you're used to. I'm interested to hear other people's suggestions as I'm always open to try new strings!

bugeyed 09-20-2012 05:39 AM

Most would require more info about your game in order to make a recommendation. It would also help if you indicated what you have tried, string & tension, & what you liked or disliked.

k

tommyfr 09-20-2012 04:46 PM

I used to have a age group student with Babolat Storm Limited and he also had difficulties with strings for this a bit similar racket to yours. I tried to help him out also. He tried around 20 different set ups, full poly, hybrid, multi, syngut and hybrids, with strings from the big brands, with tension from 48 to 58.

Difficult to find something that give both control, feel and power....always something missing.

I met him last week at a tournament and asked him. Now he has found something he is happy with : Babolat adrenaline, 51 lbs, two knots. He is very string sensitive for being 13 years old.

He hits flat (higher balls) and topspin (lower balls), slice serve, medium paced rhs.

Another tip would be sg main and poly cross, that is what i found for my Wilson pro staff tour, a bit similar to your stick as well. I have Gosen OG or better Prince sgd in mains at 55, and Isospeed baseline or better Prince tour at 51 for the crosses. Great feel, big sweetspot, power and control.

Issue is what kind of stringbedstiffness (SBS) you prefer (soft, medium, firm, very firm). The numbers above are for Medium sbs a bit on the soft side. If the ball go long with that set up, just up the tension on both w 2 for each meter ball go long when you go for power on a rather hard incoming ball.

schap02 09-20-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyfr (Post 6911023)
I used to have a age group student with Babolat Storm Limited and he also had difficulties with strings for this a bit similar racket to yours. I tried to help him out also. He tried around 20 different set ups, full poly, hybrid, multi, syngut and hybrids, with strings from the big brands, with tension from 48 to 58.

Difficult to find something that give both control, feel and power....always something missing.

I met him last week at a tournament and asked him. Now he has found something he is happy with : Babolat adrenaline, 51 lbs, two knots. He is very string sensitive for being 13 years old.

He hits flat (higher balls) and topspin (lower balls), slice serve, medium paced rhs.

Another tip would be sg main and poly cross, that is what i found for my Wilson pro staff tour, a bit similar to your stick as well. I have Gosen OG or better Prince sgd in mains at 55, and Isospeed baseline or better Prince tour at 51 for the crosses. Great feel, big sweetspot, power and control.

Issue is what kind of stringbedstiffness (SBS) you prefer (soft, medium, firm, very firm). The numbers above are for Medium sbs a bit on the soft side. If the ball go long with that set up, just up the tension on both w 2 for each meter ball go long when you go for power on a rather hard incoming ball.

Luxilon adrenaline?

tommyfr 09-21-2012 03:17 AM

Yes, thats correct, sorry, LUXILON Adrenaline....thanks.

EP1998 09-21-2012 03:26 AM

I agree with previous poster in that this plays best with a full poly at a very low tension. If you're playing competition with it that's what I'd use, and replace the poly often.

I also played hurricane tour and gut with it, like you courtesy of Babolat. that wasnt bad either.

If you're coaching with it only, take one of the free soft offerings from them and accept that you arent going to get optimal performance, but interested in saving your arm. This racquet can be deceptively bad on your shoulder over time. If you start noticing dead arm make a switch.

tommyfr 09-25-2012 02:44 AM

And also, why not try Pete Sampras choice of strings, as he is using BPST. Babolat RPM.

I would guess tension around 50-52 could be a good starting point

maxpotapov 09-25-2012 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BridgetJones (Post 6911562)
If you're coaching with it only, take one of the free soft offerings from them and accept that you arent going to get optimal performance, but interested in saving your arm. This racquet can be deceptively bad on your shoulder over time. If you start noticing dead arm make a switch.

This is not first time I'm hearing this complaint about Pure Storm Tour. I hit with it briefly, the feeling was soft and springy, very comfortable. Now I'm learning this could be deceptive, building up to arm problems over long term... :/

Jakesteroni 09-25-2012 09:16 AM

I've tried signum pro poly plasma 16L in the mains with Gosen OG microsheep 16L in crosses, 58 mains and 60 crosses. I had that set up for a good while, it gives good pop and spin but also last quite long. I recently switched to the a full bed of Solinco Tour Bite 16L and it feels really good, 2 piece at 60lbs. If you can afford the gut or higher end multifilaments use those as crosses or mains. Depends on the playability you want that will determine where the poly goes.

bugeyed 09-25-2012 03:35 PM

I just put 16 Ga. VS gut mains & 17 Ga. Gamma Asterix crosses @ 56/54 Lb. in my Pure Storm GT (not tour) & I like it very much. Had VS & 16 Ga. syn gut 52/52 & it was OK, but the new setup is crisper feeling without feeling harsh or boardy.

Cheers,
kev

EP1998 10-04-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 6917634)
This is not first time I'm hearing this complaint about Pure Storm Tour. I hit with it briefly, the feeling was soft and springy, very comfortable. Now I'm learning this could be deceptive, building up to arm problems over long term... :/

Yeah I loved it for a long time and resisted changing. I felt like I had an arm of steel as I played with kevlar combos going back to college days, then I found myself with shoulder issues playing with the PST after a couple of years. Could be that the PSTs wear out over time, who knows! The tough thing with tennis is that there can be a lot of variables when something happens.

stewfoo412 10-04-2012 06:08 PM

rpm blast is sick in this racket

maggmaster 10-04-2012 06:22 PM

When I played with this frame I used VS mains and 18 gauge mosquito bite crosses. 55 mains 49 crosses.

parasailing 10-05-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash_Smith (Post 6909639)
Okay, need some suggestions please team!

Have recently switched back to a Babolat contract from Head and am playing the storm tour but I can't find a string set up I really like. In my prestige mids I was playing gut/spin-x and could probably go back to that, but i'd be interested to hear any other ideas you guys have had that work well in a storm tour - it seems to be a tough bat to dial in!!!

Cheers

What qualities as you looking for, tension maintenance, power, comfort? As someone who uses a PSTGT to test strings, I have quite a bit of experience with gut mains and co-poly hybrids.