Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   To the play testers (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440754)

T.P3D0R 09-20-2012 07:22 PM

To the play testers

If you all had to pick one frame from the "Cheap Racquet" section, which would it be and why?

I'm looking for a few demos and eventually to buy. I'm 4.0, borderline 4.5. Can generate my own power for the most part, so looking for control rather than power. Need some access to spin, but that is mostly player generated anyway. Alternatively, suggesting a specific frame to look for used is fine too.

Thoughts?

Seth 09-20-2012 08:40 PM

Great question! I'm looking to hear some replies from the Playtesters.

(For what it's worth, you and I are in the same boat, and I went with the Yonex RDiS 200)

T.P3D0R 09-21-2012 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth (Post 6911277)
Great question! I'm looking to hear some replies from the Playtesters.

(For what it's worth, you and I are in the same boat, and I went with the Yonex RDiS 200)

Any particular reason you chose that one? I've looked into that one, seems to have decent reviews. Never played with a Yonex though...

Seth 09-21-2012 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.P3D0R (Post 6911541)
Any particular reason you chose that one? I've looked into that one, seems to have decent reviews. Never played with a Yonex though...

I have never played with Yonex either. I bought one used after reading threads on it. I've been using a 6.1, but not playing enough to keep my game in top shape so I wanted some help from the racquet. The RDiS has incredible access to spin with its open string pattern and spaced drill pattern. The power is there, but it's not too much to keep me from dialing in my accuracy. Still has good heft, but very easy to get head speed. Plus you can't overlook Yonex's top-notch quality control.

TW Staff 09-21-2012 08:20 AM

Some absolute gems on that page. Here are my picks:
Volkl C10 Pro in yellow.
Prince Diablo Mid
Head Extreme Pro
Slazenger Pro Braided (might not be on the sale page, but only $109)
And there are a bunch of Radicals on there if you want control with maneuverability (or room to customize with lead tape).

Hope that helps,
Chris, TW

TW Staff 09-21-2012 09:57 AM

I'll have to agree with Chris on the Slazenger Pro Braided. I'll also add:
- Head Microgel Radical Midplus
- Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300 (3Hundred) Tour
- Volkl Power Bridge V1 Midplus (great for customizing)

Jason, TW

diredesire 09-21-2012 10:27 AM

IMHO, the Dunlop frames are always undervalued for the excellent feel they provide. If you want something you can use and grow with, the 300 series is always a good option. If you're 4.0+, you probably have some preferences already, got anymore information?

jorel 09-21-2012 10:28 AM

id gowith the c10 ...a classic that will prob never be discontinued

and u cant beat 99 for anew ravquet

T.P3D0R 09-21-2012 11:39 AM

Played with BLX 6.1 95s for a while. Excellent stick, but couldn't get over how different all three of my frames were. Essentially, I only liked one of the frames, and the other two not so much. Played with old LM radicals this summer - great sticks when customized, a little clunky though. I tried a IG 2.0 Exteme Pro, liked it a lot, but caused me to rely on topspin shots too much. Played once with the new BLXPS 95 last week, very nice frame. However, I'm not looking to move that direction given the poor QC I've experienced in the past with Wilson... plus they are $200/frame.

Slazenger PB seems like a fine stick, a little stiff though. I wouldn't be opposed to moving to the MG Radicals if I cannot find anything else. Don't like the YT radicals much. Never tried Dunlop, they seem to have a good following on these boards though. I'll take a further look at the Slaz PBs, the C10, MG Rad, and maybe a Dunlop. Medium chance I buy these used and then black them out. Not a huge fan of all the crazy paintjobs going around.

Open to other suggestions, as previously stated, I'm close to a 4.5, not quite yet, but close, early 20s and in good shape.

gamerx52986 09-22-2012 06:37 PM

In regards to the Slazenger Pro Braided....it absolutely doesnt play like its stiffness rating. I was hesitant at first as well but so glad I bought mine. They have great control with power on tap. I am also somebody with previous wrist issues and am using Beast/PPA hybrid in my Slazengers with zero issues thus far. Such a good frame that Ive stocked up on them. Also on the list the Microgel Radical MP is my previous frame and its really nice as well.

000KFACTOR90000 09-22-2012 09:47 PM

In the prince line I like the 03 white but yeah volkl c10 pro if you like a heavy stick. (FWIW non playtester :))

T.P3D0R 09-23-2012 04:15 AM

I've never hit with the White. Never cared for the 0 ports, but also I'm assuming I'd have to change my game too much to play with the white. Not sure how keeping the ball inside the baseline would go.

Need to decide on some demos soon.... Yonex, Slazenger,maybe Dunlop, maybe Volkl, maybe prince...

T.P3D0R 09-23-2012 04:16 AM

Maybe Gamma.... If I can find some used 98Ts. Played with one yesterday. Very different, but in a good way. Hurt my arm a little though.