Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Liquidmetal vs. Microgel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440758)

MikeHitsHard93 09-20-2012 09:04 PM

Liquidmetal vs. Microgel

Which version of the radical do you like better? Why? Favorite string setup? Lead weight? grip?

TfReAk 09-20-2012 11:32 PM

I'm playing with the Microgel and I've played with the LM before. I like the MG better than the LM. The MG plays softer and swings easier. If I remember correctly the LM plays a bit more chunky though it is not a bad racket.

TfReAk 09-20-2012 11:38 PM

I can recommend a thin mono like sppp or msv focus hex (1.18) or if a full bed is to harsh...a multi (or soft syn gut) as cross string (WC Xplosiv, Mantis comfort syn, MSV Q10 etc)

Squidward 09-21-2012 12:24 AM

I prefer the feel of the MG over the LM. Not near as boardy (IMO).

String set up was with poly in the mains and synthetic in the crosses. 53/55 lbs.

TfReAk 09-21-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidward (Post 6911455)
I prefer the feel of the MG over the LM. Not near as boardy (IMO).

String set up was with poly in the mains and synthetic in the crosses. 53/55 lbs.

I totally agree Squid :) String low to open up the sweet spot :-)

Chotobaka 09-21-2012 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TfReAk (Post 6911423)
I'm playing with the Microgel and I've played with the LM before. I like the MG better than the LM. The MG plays softer and swings easier. If I remember correctly the LM plays a bit more chunky though it is not a bad racket.

True for me, too. The LM has an old-school players racquet character, which I like. Better feel IMO. MG is better for modern strokes based on my experience with both.

keithfival 09-21-2012 06:48 AM

Agree with all above about the MG. Thin string for more spin, low tension for more depth, weight at 10&2 and in the butt beefed it up for me without changing feel and still swings easy. I have one loaded with silicone which really makes it solid but that one does swing a bit heavier. I like it for doubles though.

IMO the LM is not precise enough to make up for the low power/spin. The MG is very precise and swings easier.

souledge 09-21-2012 07:05 AM

LM felt very soft, and required a vibration dampener otherwise, the ping was unbearable.

LeeD 09-21-2012 10:01 AM

Stiffness at the top of the head of LM bothers my weak shoulders and elbow. MG feels softer and easier.

MikeHitsHard93 09-21-2012 05:22 PM

I remember playing with a friends liquid metal radical os, and I liked it for the most part except the torsional stability was really bad. And had a bit too much power. Is the mp more solid feeling and with less power?

keithfival 09-21-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 6912816)
I remember playing with a friends liquid metal radical os, and I liked it for the most part except the torsional stability was really bad. And had a bit too much power. Is the mp more solid feeling and with less power?

The LM MP is pretty solid/muted feeling, not much feedback, and the ball comes off the racket very slowly. I used it for a couple of years and just hit deep to the corners all day but could hardly ever put a ball away without getting the guy completely off the court first. It is a very generic "pretty decent" at everything but really doesn't give you any help in any department. I can't imagine you preferring anything about it to your Pro Open, except that it isn't as stiff. Way less power, less spin, less stable...

I like the Microgel waaaay better but again, compared to the Pro Open you will have to work much much harder to get the same results. The only thing you will get is a nice soft feel.

MikeHitsHard93 09-21-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithfival (Post 6912902)
The LM MP is pretty solid/muted feeling, not much feedback, and the ball comes off the racket very slowly. I used it for a couple of years and just hit deep to the corners all day but could hardly ever put a ball away without getting the guy completely off the court first. It is a very generic "pretty decent" at everything but really doesn't give you any help in any department. I can't imagine you preferring anything about it to your Pro Open, except that it isn't as stiff. Way less power, less spin, less stable...

I like the Microgel waaaay better but again, compared to the Pro Open you will have to work much much harder to get the same results. The only thing you will get is a nice soft feel.

Well the reason why I am looking at one of these two rackets is because I don't feel like I can really flatten out my shots with my Pro Open, so I don't want another one and I want something with similar weight and balance as my PO. I've been referred the Radical several times and it is a very popular stick.
I also think I need a control racket that is forgiving and has a decent sweet spot. These rackets just fit the bill.

Lambo 09-22-2012 09:46 AM

MG because it plays very soft compared to the LM also I felt more feel on the ball with my shots with the MG.......

isilra 09-22-2012 05:05 PM

I didn't try MG but i have a LM rad Mp and a Wilson 6.1 team which i think plays similar to MG. I believe that the answer depends on your choice of feeling. LM is a stiff frame and when you have the racquet in your hands and you swing it, you can definitely feel the weight of the racquet. Team is a very soft frame. It has a low swingweight and when you hold and swing it, you feel like there is nothing in your hands. This is a great feeling but the problem is, the force that you have taken from the momentum of your swing is way less than a stiffer/high swingweight frame.

I definitely prefer stiffer ones and more plow through feeling so i prefer LM. With RPM blast at 55, it just plays perfectly for me. When i switch from 6.1 to LM, my game changes suddenly. The only thing is, if you care so much about the paintjobs, the paintjob of LM really sucks. I believe they couldn't make an uglier frame even if they wanted to. If i had an oscar for the ugliest frame, i wouldn't even think about which one i'd give it to.

MikeHitsHard93 09-23-2012 07:20 AM

Yeah I definitely want a stick that's easy to maneuver but still can plow right through the ball. I think my pro open is lacking plow through but whenever I try lead it just creates too much power. Uncontrollable. I think the liquid metal is the answer

MikeHitsHard93 09-23-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scar1358 (Post 6914995)
what about the head i.Radical :)

Well I have never seen an iradical or ti radical before, to be honest lol. And idk where I could get them

dnation 12-11-2012 04:12 AM

These are both top racquets and I highly recommend them to anyone who can generate their own power and looking for control for easy put away winners

I own both, level 5.0 except when my mental game lets me down with a decent serve. I'm a leftie too. This is how I rate them after adding 10grams to the handle and overgrip and dampener. Both strung with Pro line II @ 52lb.

Power - LM has a lot more pop. Flat serves are faster with easy power compared to MG. +20%

Control - MG has a touch more but both still great. +10%

Feel / comfort - MG easily. It's a lot softer and has a more muted feel. +20-30% but LM is still fairly good on the arm.

Spin - MG is more menuverable so racquet head speed is easier to generate. +20%.

Sweetspot / forgiveness - LM is easier to use because the sweetspot is bigger and it has more free power. +20%.

Overall the MG is my racquet of choice but only because I like the feel of it and i like to take big cuts at the ball and not have it sail long. The LM Is still a great racquet and my go to stick if i am tired or the balls are slow and heavy.

If u prefer more pOwer and a more solid feeling racquet the LM is the better choice iMHO, if u like a plush control orientated racquet the MG is the better choice

My 2 cents

taurussable 12-11-2012 04:25 AM

i am from lm rad os to mg rad mp. what a hell of difference. but i have much lead added to hoop and buttcap

LeeD 12-11-2012 11:41 AM

I"m the opposite, when from LMRadMid to MicroGelRadOS.
Yes, LM serves bigger flat first serves and is more precise.
OTOH, I can hit more better shots with the MicroGel, do it not only longer and more often, but with less effort and less concentration.
I'd think the MGMid might be even better.

dnation 12-11-2012 11:42 AM

Forgot to mention, I was talking about the Midplus versions of each, and that I do also put 2+2grams of lead at 3&9 on both racquets. ~338grams

My previous racquets were the Dunlop 4D 200, babolat pure storm gt & the aeropro pro drive cortex.

Pure storm gt weighted up to nearly 12oz had much more power and spin than LM but less control. Feel was closer to the MG, very soft and
Muted.

Aeropro was great fun but the control wasn't there compared to MG and LM. Touch shots were appalling

Dunlop was awesome but too demanding with a very small margin for error