Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Chris: Why C10 instead of other favorites? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440787)

Lilguy1456 09-21-2012 09:21 AM

Chris: Why C10 instead of other favorites?

Chris,

I've notice you've reviewed several racquets where your dislikes are listed as "none," (Pure Drive Roddick, 200 series dunlop, etc). What seperates your current C10 Pro from those sticks? Is it something tangible, or is it just based on your match results? Thanks a lot!

-Chris (Lilguy1456)

jorel 09-21-2012 10:59 AM

cuz he has to switch it around to all the manufacturers to keep them all happy...:)

chris' choice i bet influences the sale of a racquet by a good amount is my guess

but it does say something that all the manufacturers have at least one pretty excellent offering...

we are pretty lucky as consumers

TW Staff 09-21-2012 01:06 PM

With the racquets where I have listed none as my dislikes, it is because the racquet has felt great in stock form and I felt no need for any changes. Those are all racquets I could use and play well with, and would feel confident taking into a tournament. But in the end we have to choose one (ok, maybe two) and right now I'm really enjoying the C10 Pro and the Head Prestige MP. Again, I'm happy playing with either. I don't think my level improves or drops between them, it is just the feel of the interaction between the player and ball changes.

Hope that helps.
Chris, TW

Lilguy1456 09-21-2012 01:47 PM

Thanks Chris!

Capt. Willie 09-21-2012 03:01 PM

I feel really stupid....where is the C10 review? I've been here long enough you'd think I could find it.

Also Chris, what is your favorite string on the C10?

TW Staff 09-21-2012 03:11 PM

Capt. Willie,

The Volkl C10 Pro (2012) review is in the final stages of editing and should be up within two weeks.

As for Chris' favorite string for the C 10 Pro, it would have to be Volkl Cyclone 16 strung at 57 lbs.

Brittany, TW

mrmike 09-21-2012 06:14 PM

Chris, I am surprised you don't have any difficulty switching back and forth between the 18x20 Prestige MP and the 16x19 C10 Pro. I previously used the C10 pro for over 1.5 years and really loved the weight, balance, and feel, but one thing I had trouble with was accuracy. I guess it depends on your style. Since I hit pretty flat and go for the corners it seems like the C10 was just a little tougher to thread the needle than with the Prestige. Both are great frames though and the comfort of the C10 is definitely a big selling point for me. I wish Volkl would make an 18x20 C10 Pro - I would jump all over that in a heartbeat :-)

BruceG 09-22-2012 05:04 AM

Chris or Brittany,

If you guys are going to review some of the older frames, how about doing one for the ProKennex Kinetic Pro 5G Classic ? It's been around a long time but I get the impression that its routinely overlooked despite being very playable and very arm-friendly.

sargeinaz 09-22-2012 05:04 PM

C10 review? Nice! Looking forward to that.

TW Staff 09-24-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceG (Post 6913309)
Chris or Brittany,

If you guys are going to review some of the older frames, how about doing one for the ProKennex Kinetic Pro 5G Classic ? It's been around a long time but I get the impression that its routinely overlooked despite being very playable and very arm-friendly.

BruceG,

Unfortunately, at this time we don't have any plans to playtest that racquet. However, I will put it on the list and if we have any additional time we will try and playtest the ProKennex Kinetic Pro 5G Classic.

Thanks,

Brittany, TW

zapvor 09-24-2012 08:37 AM

we all know its because chris is sponsored by volkl. just look at him he's a full blooded german

TW Staff 09-25-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmike (Post 6912872)
Chris, I am surprised you don't have any difficulty switching back and forth between the 18x20 Prestige MP and the 16x19 C10 Pro. I previously used the C10 pro for over 1.5 years and really loved the weight, balance, and feel, but one thing I had trouble with was accuracy. I guess it depends on your style. Since I hit pretty flat and go for the corners it seems like the C10 was just a little tougher to thread the needle than with the Prestige. Both are great frames though and the comfort of the C10 is definitely a big selling point for me. I wish Volkl would make an 18x20 C10 Pro - I would jump all over that in a heartbeat :-)

I have a plus 5lbs bump in tension for the C10 Pro over the Prestige MP which helps level the playing field in regards to control. If I string the C10 Pro at 52lbs like I do with the Prestige, then the ball will tend to fly on me. I also tend to favor a deader poly in the C10 Pro to further help with control and find the racquet is more than comfortable enough to handle it. One of the reasons I've been hitting the C10 Pro is because I have been doing a lot of string testing and find that stick somewhat string sensitive, which helps. I love the feel of the C10 Pro, and agree an 18x20 pattern would be very interesting.

Chris, TW

mrmike 09-26-2012 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 6919010)
I have a plus 5lbs bump in tension for the C10 Pro over the Prestige MP which helps level the playing field in regards to control. If I string the C10 Pro at 52lbs like I do with the Prestige, then the ball will tend to fly on me. I also tend to favor a deader poly in the C10 Pro to further help with control and find the racquet is more than comfortable enough to handle it. One of the reasons I've been hitting the C10 Pro is because I have been doing a lot of string testing and find that stick somewhat string sensitive, which helps. I love the feel of the C10 Pro, and agree an 18x20 pattern would be very interesting.

Chris, TW

Thanks for the reply Chris. I think we all appreciate you guys taking the time to give the Talk Tennis crowd additional insight into your equipment reviews and personal favs. Keep up the good work!

Meaghan 09-26-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 6919010)

Chris, TW

Not so sure about an 18x20 but I think there's room for an extra string up top to even out the stringbed. It seems the middle to top strings are quite open, they even out middle to lower bottom where the sweetspot is with the wider shoulders. I also think a 16x20 string pattern would stiffen up that fluffiness players talk about with the c10's upper hoop, Im no scientist tho so who knows. I actualy like that fluffiness up top :)

Ive been using tour bite 1.25 around 55lbs and they are very well suited indeed, a perfect match to the c10's comfortable frame and as these volkl's volley so well, I dont notice the TB's tinny feel at the net so much. I dont find control much of an issue at all, tour bite just reigns the ball in like its on a string.

Chris......I love this manouverable volkl's especially the dnx10mid which I preferred over the pb10mid as it was a crisper, the c10 reminds me of that, a bigger brother, almost a steely feel......I was intereted in picking up the X10 just to try out alongside. Ive heard about its stiffer hoop and overall stiffer feel from the threads and reviews, what would you say were the major differences between the two sticks??