Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Is this goodbye to Robin Soderling? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440792)

Roger Wawrinka 09-21-2012 10:13 AM

Is this goodbye to Robin Soderling?
 
I have not heard any news recently, Is he still playing? Will he ever make it back to the top?

Rock Strongo 09-21-2012 10:15 AM

He's currently training for a comeback at the beginning of next year. He'll be back in full flight, just you watch!

JMR 09-21-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Strongo (Post 6912198)
He's currently training for a comeback at the beginning of next year. He'll be back in full flight, just you watch!

I'm not sure that the concept of "flight" can be applied to the decidedly earthbound Soderling. Full stalk, perhaps? Full stomp?

Sentinel 09-21-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMR (Post 6912231)
I'm not sure that the concept of "flight" can be applied to the decidedly earthbound Soderling. Full stalk, perhaps? Full stomp?

I think Strongo was playing on ROBIN when he spoke of flight. Robin is some sort of bird if I remember, right ?

Rock Strongo 09-21-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6912251)
I think Strongo was playing on ROBIN when he spoke of flight. Robin is some sort of bird if I remember, right ?

...Yes! Yes I did!

augustobt 09-21-2012 11:05 AM

Söderling will never return. And if he does, he won't be the same.

Golden 09-21-2012 11:11 AM

He is having a daughter, and he just got out of a mono slump. I doubt he is going to try to come back. Shame, he was the only one to beat Nadal on clay :(

Golden 09-21-2012 11:16 AM

EDIT: French Open, not clay in general.

monfed 09-21-2012 11:24 AM

Soderling to make a roaring comeback by beating Ralph in the RG 2013 final crushing the dreams of a million *******s.:lol: You heard it here first.

6-1 6-3 6-0 09-21-2012 11:28 AM

Probably. His moment of glory was Roland Garros 2009 (only man to beat Nadal at Roland Garros) and Roland Garros 2010 (impressive but not very impressive since beating Federer at Roland Garros is not as great as beating Nadal at Roland Garros). After Roland Garros 2011, losing in straight sets to Nadal in the QF (with a 6-1 set), he realised that the mental edge he had in 2009 had vanished, so it was useless to try and continue his career, knowing his greatest ambition (winning Roland Garros) would never come true, as long as Nadal is around (and Nadal will likely be around longer then Soderling, since Nadal is younger than Soderling).

jokinla 09-21-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6-1 6-3 6-0 (Post 6912309)
Probably. His moment of glory was Roland Garros 2009 (only man to beat Nadal at Roland Garros) and Roland Garros 2010 (impressive but not very impressive since beating Federer at Roland Garros is not as great as beating Nadal at Roland Garros). After Roland Garros 2011, losing in straight sets to Nadal in the QF (with a 6-1 set), he realised that the mental edge he had in 2009 had vanished, so it was useless to try and continue his career, knowing his greatest ambition (winning Roland Garros) would never come true, as long as Nadal is around (and Nadal will likely be around longer then Soderling, since Nadal is younger than Soderling).

Sadly after losing to Rosol this year, Nadal had this same thing happen.

6-1 6-3 6-0 09-21-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokinla (Post 6912346)
Sadly after losing to Rosol this year, Nadal had this same thing happen.

Sorry, Nadal is the alpha-male, the aggressor, the dominant one. He's not submissive like Soderling. Rosol is just another Soderling, minus the consistency (not that Soderling was that consistent). Nadal never backs down, and I look forward to when they next meet (hope it's at a slam), so Nadal can even up that H2H to 1-1.

Mustard 09-21-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6-1 6-3 6-0 (Post 6912309)
Probably. His moment of glory was Roland Garros 2009 (only man to beat Nadal at Roland Garros) and Roland Garros 2010 (impressive but not very impressive since beating Federer at Roland Garros is not as great as beating Nadal at Roland Garros). After Roland Garros 2011, losing in straight sets to Nadal in the QF (with a 6-1 set), he realised that the mental edge he had in 2009 had vanished, so it was useless to try and continue his career, knowing his greatest ambition (winning Roland Garros) would never come true, as long as Nadal is around (and Nadal will likely be around longer then Soderling, since Nadal is younger than Soderling).

Soderling was dominant in his last tournament, when he won 2011 Bastad. Then he got injured, and then he got mono just before the US Open began, and he's been out ever since.

smoledman 09-21-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard (Post 6912442)
Soderling was dominant in his last tournament, when he won 2011 Bastad. Then he got injured, and then he got mono just before the US Open began, and he's been out ever since.

He looked ill during his Wimbledon loss to Tomic.

Mainad 09-21-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoledman (Post 6912462)
He looked ill during his Wimbledon loss to Tomic.

Yes, I recall he seemed out of sorts in that match. But he looked in commanding form when he played Bastad. He destroyed Berdych and Ferrer back to back in the semis and final for the loss of just 5 games. However that was his last tournament to date!

augustobt 09-21-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6-1 6-3 6-0 (Post 6912309)
Probably. His moment of glory was Roland Garros 2009 (only man to beat Nadal at Roland Garros) and Roland Garros 2010 (impressive but not very impressive since beating Federer at Roland Garros is not as great as beating Nadal at Roland Garros). After Roland Garros 2011, losing in straight sets to Nadal in the QF (with a 6-1 set), he realised that the mental edge he had in 2009 had vanished, so it was useless to try and continue his career, knowing his greatest ambition (winning Roland Garros) would never come true, as long as Nadal is around (and Nadal will likely be around longer then Soderling, since Nadal is younger than Soderling).

This post is pathetic in every possible way.

Mate, let me tell you a thing: A career in Tennis isn't based on winning over Nadal at Roland Garros. There are plenty of other things that counts (many more) than that. Like, for example, winning your home-country tournament like he did before "retire".

sunof tennis 09-21-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6-1 6-3 6-0 (Post 6912350)
Sorry, Nadal is the alpha-male, the aggressor, the dominant one. He's not submissive like Soderling. Rosol is just another Soderling, minus the consistency (not that Soderling was that consistent). Nadal never backs down, and I look forward to when they next meet (hope it's at a slam), so Nadal can even up that H2H to 1-1.

Then why does he play tennis so submissively/passively?

dominikk1985 09-21-2012 01:45 PM

funny that he usually pays well at RG but plays like crap in the other clay tournaments. really seems to be another kind of clay.

RF20Lennon 09-21-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6-1 6-3 6-0 (Post 6912350)
Sorry, Nadal is the alpha-male, the aggressor, the dominant one. He's not submissive like Soderling. Rosol is just another Soderling, minus the consistency (not that Soderling was that consistent). Nadal never backs down, and I look forward to when they next meet (hope it's at a slam), so Nadal can even up that H2H to 1-1.

LOL rosol had a fluke season i dont think he'll even get past quallies next year to meet rafa

Mainad 09-21-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominikk1985 (Post 6912567)
funny that he usually pays well at RG but plays like crap in the other clay tournaments. really seems to be another kind of clay.

The last tournament he played (and won) was on clay! :wink:


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse