Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Annual flu shot bashing thread - 2012 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440803)

sureshs 09-21-2012 02:08 PM

Annual flu shot bashing thread - 2012

We all got the shot today.

May the battles begin.

r2473 09-21-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6912598)
We all got shot today.

Dear god :shock:

LeeD 09-21-2012 02:13 PM

Good for the young, the healthy, and the strong.
Bad for the old, the sickly, and the weak.

sureshs 09-21-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6912607)
Good for the young, the healthy, and the strong.
Bad for the old, the sickly, and the weak.

Other way around. Oldies are in the high-risk category

LeeD 09-21-2012 02:27 PM

Every year, the elderly get sicker, get new sicknesses, die from the new bugs introduced into their systems. Leave them well enough alone.
They young can handle the germs that are introduced into your body.
Most old folks don't die directly from the shots, but die from complications from the shot including pnumonia, added load to the immune system (that is already weak and suspect), and results from being more sick than they already are.
Leave them alone.

Talker 09-21-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6912598)
We all got the shot today.

May the battles begin.

Oh my god.

I always wondered who gets those shots. :???:

Squidward 09-21-2012 02:45 PM

I'll Pass, Thank You Very Much....

Thepowerofchoice 09-21-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6912622)
Other way around. Oldies are in the high-risk category

Please don't listen to this. Do your reserch.

Thepowerofchoice 09-21-2012 03:16 PM

http://www.naturalnews.com/flu_vaccine.html

clutch21 09-21-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thepowerofchoice (Post 6912696)

Can't believe everything thats written on the internet. Why not try sites that are actually based on credible research-

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002025.htm

WildVolley 09-21-2012 05:36 PM

No flu shot for me. Had it once in my life and it made me sick. Never again. Most years I don't get the flu, and I'm not in a high risk group.

I disagree with the push to give the shot to people who aren't in high risk groups. I guess the logic is that less flu will be spread if all take the shots, but the shots have been hit-and-miss in terms of identifying which strain will hit big this fall and winter.

I'd advise to get the single-dose versions so you don't get mercury injected into your bloodstream if you want to get the flu shot.

clutch21 09-21-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVolley (Post 6912827)
No flu shot for me. Had it once in my life and it made me sick. Never again. Most years I don't get the flu, and I'm not in a high risk group.

I disagree with the push to give the shot to people who aren't in high risk groups. I guess the logic is that less flu will be spread if all take the shots, but the shots have been hit-and-miss in terms of identifying which strain will hit big this fall and winter.

I'd advise to get the single-dose versions so you don't get mercury injected into your bloodstream if you want to get the flu shot.

I know this is falling on deaf ears, but it's not possible to get sick from the flu shot. The flu shot is an inactive virus. It is not possible to get sick from it. That is a fact. If you were sick, it was purely coincidence.

There is a very small chance that you might be allergic to the flu vaccine, but medically speaking, the virus cannot reproduce in your cells, making you sick like the an active influenza strain will.

WildVolley 09-21-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clutch21 (Post 6912905)
I know this is falling on deaf ears, but it's not possible to get sick from the flu shot. The flu shot is an inactive virus. It is not possible to get sick from it. That is a fact. If you were sick, it was purely coincidence.

There is a very small chance that you might be allergic to the flu vaccine, but medically speaking, the virus cannot reproduce in your cells, making you sick like the an active influenza strain will.

I did get sick from the shot. I didn't say I got the flu, but I suffered a fever and aches and pains for days after the shot. The CDC says these are potential side effects. So, no, it wasn't purely coincidence that I went from feeling completely healthy to sick the day after getting the flu shot.

clutch21 09-21-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVolley (Post 6912937)
I did get sick from the shot. I didn't say I got the flu, but I suffered a fever and aches and pains for days after the shot. The CDC says these are potential side effects. So, no, it wasn't purely coincidence that I went from feeling completely healthy to sick the day after getting the flu shot.

Our definitions of "sick" are different. Benign aches and a fever that last a day or two is not a sickness, in my opinion. Especially when you weigh those side effects against actually acquiring the flu. I guess we are just going to have to disagree.

NLBwell 09-21-2012 09:50 PM

Best to get the flu shot early. It prevents spread to others if you would happen to be one of the first people to get the flu. Also, if you get the flu already and you are about to get symptoms (it takes a day or two) and then get the shot, the body spends energy fighting the dead flu as well as the live flu and you can get sicker than you would otherwise.

WildVolley 09-21-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clutch21 (Post 6912981)
Our definitions of "sick" are different. Benign aches and a fever that last a day or two is not a sickness, in my opinion. Especially when you weigh those side effects against actually acquiring the flu. I guess we are just going to have to disagree.

Yes we will. Because I've gotten the flu in the past and had symptoms which lasted a day or two and were no big deal.

It is a mistake to conclude that all people will suffer from a flu to the same extent. Sometimes flu symptoms can be vicious and other times they are just slightly annoying. Perhaps it depends on the flu strain, the viral load, and how well your immune system is working. But some years I've helped people who have received the vaccine yet still become quite sick, while I've only had symptoms that are like an annoying cold.

As I previously stated, I'm not in a high risk group and have had good success without the vaccine so I'll just take my chances and save some money.

Limpinhitter 09-22-2012 06:26 AM

The last time I had a flu shot (about 20 years ago), it left a wheal on my arm about the size of a golf ball. No mas para mio.

Limpinhitter 09-22-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clutch21 (Post 6912806)
Can't believe everything thats written on the internet. Why not try sites that are actually based on credible research-

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002025.htm

Sorry, but you can't believe everything you read on Medline either. Scientific fraud is epidemic. Financial conflicts of interest in medical research are the norm. And, there is an inverse relationship between the reliability of medical research and the financial interest in the outcome of the research of those involved in the reporting and underlying studies of such research.

r2473 09-22-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVolley (Post 6913097)
I've helped people who have received the vaccine yet still become quite sick, while I've only had symptoms that are like an annoying cold.

So how did you know you had the flu and not a cold?

WildVolley 09-22-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 6913556)
So how did you know you had the flu and not a cold?

I can't say with certainty(both caused by viruses), but since I was being exposed to the flu virus from being around people who had obvious flu-like symptoms, I just assumed that the virus-like symptoms I was experiencing were from the same virus.

When you think about it, very few of us ever are tested for the strain of virus we've contracted. If someone you know gets a fever with aches and pains and then starts projectile vomiting, and then a few days later you come down with the same symptoms, you just assume that you've caught a flu going around. Since antibiotics don't work for viruses, I don't recall a doctor ever taking a flu sample and then culturing it. I would guess that you could test for certain proteins in the immune system after the fact, but I'm not a doctor and I don't know much about virus identification other than knowing that it can be rather difficult (as the controversy and difficulty in identifying and isolating the AIDS virus showed).