Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Not getting any tension on the strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440836)

AlexDK09 09-22-2012 02:59 AM

Not getting any tension on the strings

I use a drop weight machine (pro's pro challenger two) and I cannot get any tension on my strings.

This is how I string:
I clamp the right string, put the left string in the quick release and than I move the drop weight until it stands horizontal.

I remove the right clamp and put it on the left string, but the string doesn't seemed tensioned.

I watched almost every video on youtube and read a lot of guides but I don't know what I'm doing wrong..

Any help is appreciated.

PKfan1 09-22-2012 03:18 AM

When you're stringing your mains they will feel really loose until you string your crosses. If you pluck it like a guitar does it make a sound?
If not you might check to make sure your clamps are tight enough to hold the string and keep it from sliding through it.

AlexDK09 09-22-2012 03:23 AM

Okay, I didn't knew that! Thanks for the advice!

Irvin 09-22-2012 04:27 AM

When you tension a string you have to pull both ends. Pulling only one end does nothing. When you clamp the right string it hold the right side. Then you pull the left and the clamp on the right hold it from moving. If you ever remove that clamp with you tension is applied to the left you lose everything.

AlexDK09 09-22-2012 04:43 AM

When I put the string that I want to tension into the quick release that string is tensioned. However, the string with the clamp (the right one in my OP) isn't pulled at all by the clamp.

My biggest failure of today was that I broke a string when moving the drop weight, still donīt know how that could have happened haha :D

AlexDK09 09-22-2012 05:09 AM

Iīm going to attend a stringing course in the same city as where my college is located on the same machine so that should probably help a lot!

Radicalized 09-22-2012 05:10 AM

I tried to write up a simple version.
Lace your center left and right mains (LM1 and RM1) from head to throat or vice versa depending on what your racquet requires.

Clamp your RM1 (right main one) near the frame on the side of the starting loop. Make sure you have the clamps clean and tight as I noted in your other thread.

Insert the LM1 (left main one) string in the linear gripper and pull tension by lowering the drop weight arm. And I hope you have the weight on and adjusted to a reasonable weight! Drop the bar so it is about horizontal. If above, insert less string. If below, insert more string. As noted in the other thread, I believe you don't have the ratcheting model. You are now pulling tension on LM1.

WHILE MAINTAINING THE TENSION (bar is horizontal), clamp LM1 (RM1 is still clamped near the side of the start loop near the frame) on the side opposite the start loop near the frame. YOU MUST maintain tension until you've clamp the string. Then you can release tension. Raise the bar.

Lace LM2 and tension after you've rotated the racquet. Move the clamp for LM1 to the opposite side on LM2 close to the frame.

Rotate the racquet. Pull tension on RM1. Move the first clamp you set on RM1 to the opposite side (side of the tensioner) of RM1, and clamp close to the frame. Remember, you must keep the string tensioned (bar horizontal) as you remove and move clamps.

Lace RM2, rotate and tension. Continue to lace, rotate the racquet, and tension each string, never getting more than two ahead on either side (alternate tensioning string on the left and right of center).

Remember to skip grommets when necessary (used for crosses). After you've completed the mains left and right (final mains tensioned and clamped), insert the string in the grommet for the tie off anchor string and tie a finishing knot (Parnell, double half-hitch, Pro/Wilson, etc.).

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexDK09 (Post 6913293)
My biggest failure of today was that I broke a string when moving the drop weight, still donīt know how that could have happened haha :D

Just remember to let the bar down slowly and never push down on the bar (creates huge amount of tension). If the bar doesn't drop to horizontal on its own, release tension, and feed less string. Again, I'm thinking you have the model without the ratchet. Aside from that, we can only guess.

mmk 09-22-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexDK09 (Post 6913293)
When I put the string that I want to tension into the quick release that string is tensioned. However, the string with the clamp (the right one in my OP) isn't pulled at all by the clamp.

What kind of string are you stringing? If it is a poly, start with the bar down, not up. Lift a bit above horizontal and let drop, repeat until the bar is horizontal. After a few tries you should get a feel for how high to lift the bar so that it drops to horizontal on the first lift.

AlexDK09 09-22-2012 07:12 AM

I managed to string all of my mains perfectly!!
Thanks!! Radicalized!

And to answer your last question: I do have the model without the ratchet

jswinf 09-22-2012 10:15 AM

And as is often said here, remember that "drop-weight" doesn't mean drop the weight, it means lower it with your hand on it and see where it winds up.

Radicalized 09-22-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexDK09 (Post 6913474)
I managed to string all of my mains perfectly!!
Thanks!! Radicalized!

And to answer your last question: I do have the model without the ratchet

I hope your crosses went/are going as well. If not, again, the best thing I can do now is send you to youtube.com/yulitle (I just remember he has all of these particular videos.) and look at the starting crosses with a start knot video (or starting clamp if you have one and that was your planned method.). I don't know your racquet type if any special instructions are needed and so forth. Also, the string type can complicate things when weaving crosses (Stiff can be a challenge.). Endure, AlexDK09!

If you are stringing along and have a question, but no one responds (It's Saturday in the Fall.), I wrote out questions and answers (Q & A) to solve a bunch of problems in a thread. Just skip the top section, which is regarding a completely different machine.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=427767

AlexDK09 09-22-2012 12:18 PM

I will finish it next week. I finished the mains but the short end of the set was too short so I couldn't knot it. I had to remove the strings but I remembered how to do the mains and I'll finish the entire racquet when I have some time next week.

I scanned through your thread and I saw a lot of answers and tips!

I would like to thank you again for all of your help! I really appreciate it!

Irvin 09-22-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexDK09 (Post 6913863)
I will finish it next week. I finished the mains but the short end of the set was too short so I couldn't knot it. I had to remove the strings but I remembered how to do the mains and I'll finish the entire racquet when I have some time next week.

I scanned through your thread and I saw a lot of answers and tips!

I would like to thank you again for all of your help! I really appreciate it!

If you had enough string to finish the mains (that is to say you pulled tension on the last mains) why couldn't you tie off the last main?

AlexDK09 09-22-2012 11:07 PM

I did remove some the string before I made the knot, that was my mistake.